dnd dungeon creation program?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormin
Jedi Knight

dnd dungeon creation program?

Post by Stormin »

Does anyone know of any program that could be used to assist in the creation of dungeons, cities and worlds for the D&D system?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Lots of them. They either cost money or suck, however. I've found it easier to make my own on graph paper, or Paint if necessary.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Thanks. Now is there one where I could design the stuff rather than it being a random thing? I got a good one in mind but I am too lazy to do it by hand.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dungeon Crafter looks promising
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I know this probably isn't very helpful, but my opinion is that you shouldn't use programs to create "dungeons" (whatever dungeons are). Instead, if you want to build an environment, put some thought into it. Pretend you're an architect or whatever, and you have x amount of requirements, then begin building. Or create a natural cave where goblins move in, and have them enlargen the tunnels and build new ones.

If you create it in a logical fashion instead of completely arbitrary, you end up with a blatantly implausible situation for which the owner of the complex would have shot the architect.

I mean, place yourself at one end of the tunnels. Then pretend you have to reach the other end quickly. Is it really believable that it would take that long a time running through a semi-labyrinth seemingly designed just to waste space? I think not.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Captain Hornblower
Youngling

Two Words-- Campaign Cartographer

Post by Captain Hornblower »

I have been using their product for almost a decade, fantastic, once you get over the learning curve.

http://www.profantasy.com/
"You couldn't possibly have passed high school physics!"

"If life hands you poop, make poop juice"
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Eleas wrote:I know this probably isn't very helpful, but my opinion is that you shouldn't use programs to create "dungeons" (whatever dungeons are). Instead, if you want to build an environment, put some thought into it. Pretend you're an architect or whatever, and you have x amount of requirements, then begin building. Or create a natural cave where goblins move in, and have them enlargen the tunnels and build new ones.

If you create it in a logical fashion instead of completely arbitrary, you end up with a blatantly implausible situation for which the owner of the complex would have shot the architect.

I mean, place yourself at one end of the tunnels. Then pretend you have to reach the other end quickly. Is it really believable that it would take that long a time running through a semi-labyrinth seemingly designed just to waste space? I think not.
I agree, to an extent. The 3rd Ed. DMG goes over this thoroughly, detailing different types of "dungeons" extensively. A normal stronghold or the like would indeed be laid out logically, but there are many complexes that are designed to keep people out or keep something in. A powerful wizard might want to seal away an item for all eternity, if he knows its considered valuable and coveted by adventurers, he might lock it away in a trap filled maze guarded by undead or other unliving constructs.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

JediNeophyte wrote: I agree, to an extent. The 3rd Ed. DMG goes over this thoroughly, detailing different types of "dungeons" extensively. A normal stronghold or the like would indeed be laid out logically, but there are many complexes that are designed to keep people out or keep something in. A powerful wizard might want to seal away an item for all eternity, if he knows its considered valuable and coveted by adventurers, he might lock it away in a trap filled maze guarded by undead or other unliving constructs.
The same place in a plausible setting would involve a sealed cavern somewhere down below the earth with a permanented teleport spell from its owner's stronghold. To make absolutely sure, just disable the teleport spell.

Take Eon, for example. There, dragons are powerful. No adventurer would have any chance of going inside a dragon's lair and killing it, because the dragons are highly intelligent, devastatingly skilled with magic (indeed, it's sometimes theorised that they arrived on Mundana in order to "dam up" magic) and cunning as hell.

The point of my explanation? Well, this. There is a place, I believe it's Khian-Renk-Drezin, a former dwarf city. There's something important there, something the Powers That Be want people not to find. How do you keep the secret, then? That's easy. You put the biggest known Mortuach dragon there. So if you decide to enter Khian-Renk-Drezin, you will find yourself before Vixharziva. You will get one question, after which you won't leave.

That's how you keep a secret. Or you make it secret in the first place, as in letting no one know about it. Creating underground structures is wasteful, IMHO, and contraproductive.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Eleas wrote:I know this probably isn't very helpful, but my opinion is that you shouldn't use programs to create "dungeons" (whatever dungeons are).
The main reason I would Like to use a computer program to assist in the design is because I would wreck a great many sheets of graph paper with my erasings when doing it by hand.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Moved to G&C.