Popups

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Popups

Post by Coaan »

Does anyone have any anti popup software?...I've misplaced mine after gods knows how long and the popups built into ie..(have to use it...there's no way round it for this) are really annoying the crap outa me..

Any help available?
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Re: Popups

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Coaan wrote:Does anyone have any anti popup software?...I've misplaced mine after gods knows how long and the popups built into ie..(have to use it...there's no way round it for this) are really annoying the crap outa me..

Any help available?
TechTV featured something awhile back... *searches for linky*

just a sec
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I've been using Pop-Up Stopper from www.panicware.com for at least a year.

I find that works pretty well. Literally blocks virtually everything (and goes "bing" and flashes every time it blocks one). It has a system tray icon and you can manually turn it off/on with a double click (and have it ignore a pop-up if you click while holding shift).
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I've been using Pop-Up Stopper from www.panicware.com for at least a year.

I find that works pretty well. Literally blocks virtually everything (and goes "bing" and flashes every time it blocks one). It has a system tray icon and you can manually turn it off/on with a double click (and have it ignore a pop-up if you click while holding shift).
thats what I was looking for.

the Google Toolbar (obscenely long link there) 2.0 beta has a Pop-up stopper, and a lot of other cool stuff, as well as the )duh) ability to search anything on Google, and translate websites and stuff.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Have you ever heard of the Ad Blocker? It works pretty well, but when you click on a link and it opens in a new window, it mistakes it for a pop-up, gives you an error message, and screws things up. I think there is better software.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

P-UB lets you open links in actual new windows (but not if they're Javascript windows, then you either have to turn it off or shift click) without any problems.

But you can't use IE's menu to open a new window, so you have to always use ctrl-n, which shouldn't be a problem for those that do that anyway...

Pop-Up Blocker is honestly one of the best programmes that I have on Sarah, period.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Thanks for the help guys...finally got rid of those bloody popups...it's like a breath of fresh air
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

If you have pop-ups coming up on your PC when you're not even browsing the Internet, then you probsbly have some Ad-ware on your PC. Download ad-aware or an equivalent program instead of just covering it up with a pop-up stopper.

Also, disable your messenger service if you haven't already.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Re: Popups

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Coaan wrote:Does anyone have any anti popup software?...I've misplaced mine after gods knows how long and the popups built into ie..(have to use it...there's no way round it for this) are really annoying the crap outa me..

Any help available?
Any particular reason why?

If it's because of NTLM, then Mozilla will work for you!
Image Image
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Opera could be another choice. You can shoose to disable popups with it. I am so conditioned to it now, it hurts to use extorter.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

There's a howto on how get NTLM to work with Linux too under the title ISA-HOWTO or something like that.

Missing tabbed browsing hurts more with IE and Konquerer (Konq's tabbed browsing functionality sucks).

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pu-239 wrote:There's a howto on how get NTLM to work with Linux too under the title ISA-HOWTO or something like that.
NTLM is now supported out-of-the-box by Mozilla 1.4

Missing tabbed browsing hurts more with IE and Konquerer (Konq's tabbed browsing functionality sucks).[/quote]
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There's also Proxomitron