When do you think HD's will reach the TB range?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

phongn wrote:Rotational velocity keeps increasing, though, so seek times shouldn't be too bad, especially if they continue increasing areal density and/or add more platters.

I'm more concerned about reliability - it's no secret that IDE drives as of late have not been stellar in that concern.
No kidding, one of my IBM Deskstars died scant weeks after the warranty expired, and the one I'm using while I wait for a Maxtor is showing signs of being in its death throes.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

phongn wrote:My dad had two computers with 32MB of RAM in 1990 :D
That was a shitload back then, my first computer that I had in 1993 was a near-cutting edge Pentium 60 and it only had 8 MB. I don't think even 4MB had really become standard in '90. What did he need all that memory for?
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

This reminds me of neuromancer where people mugged people to get their hands on a few megs of ram.
How much does 512 megs cost?
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:This reminds me of neuromancer where people mugged people to get their hands on a few megs of ram.
How much does 512 megs cost?
512MB PC2100 DDR can be picked up for less than £50. RAM is cheap, very cheap.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:No kidding, one of my IBM Deskstars died scant weeks after the warranty expired, and the one I'm using while I wait for a Maxtor is showing signs of being in its death throes.
IBM's (now Hitachi) plant had some serious quality control issues for awhile with the 75GXP and 60GXP drives. I have no clue as to if they've been fixed or not.

This is why I always reccomend getting one of those 8MB cache drives w/ 3-year warrenty, as they're likely to be built to a higher standard, or at least replacable.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:
phongn wrote:My dad had two computers with 32MB of RAM in 1990 :D
That was a shitload back then, my first computer that I had in 1993 was a near-cutting edge Pentium 60 and it only had 8 MB. I don't think even 4MB had really become standard in '90. What did he need all that memory for?
He did a lot of number crunching along with some electrical engineering apps. We also ran the entire Office suite at once at times.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

My question is, when will we reach the physical data storage limits of current hard drive technology?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Uraniun235 wrote:My question is, when will we reach the physical data storage limits of current hard drive technology?
It'll be awhile until we max out magnetic storage densities.