Biggest Head-Trip

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

So which is trippier?

Xenogears
No votes
Persona
No votes
Xenosaga
No votes
Guilty Gear
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Biggest Head-Trip

Post by Ryoga »

Okay, so out of all the video-games out there, what do you guys think is the most trippy? I.E., a plot that has layers within layers within layers, and all of them very strange. This keeps someone from saying something like 'Super Monkey Ball because the monkeys are in balls omfglol'. :) Feel free to add your own, but I think all of the nominees have their own special charms, as described below:

XENOGEARS - Basically, everything that videogames normally shy away from can be found here. Cannibalism, unflattering religious references, people melting into flesh-eating ghouls...and on top of that a story with more layers than an onion. 'So, wait, Miang was really working for who now...?'

PERSONA - And if it wasn't in Xenogears, you can find it in Persona or one of it's sequels. The basic premise of Persona is a lifeform that I shan't spoil, who makes rumors become reality. All the wierdness leaks out from there. Persona 2: Innocent Sin features a boss battle against Adolf Hitler, who wields the Lance of Longinus. No, you did not mis-read that.

XENOSAGA - Okay, so this was really just an advertisement for future installments in the franchise, but Xenosaga still has enough things it that make you go 'huh?' to fill a book. WTF is Margulis' deal? Who is KOS-MOS really reporting to? Why is Fei/Abel or a close fascimile in the ending? Why is so much philosophical discussion being bandied around about a videogame?

GUILTY GEAR - This one has strange characters and situations to explain its presence here. It started out pretty simple, too: 'That Man' is bad, and everyone is out to find and beat him down. Then Guilty Gear XX comes out, and we come to find out that something else is out there, and 'That Man' is trying to prepare the world in his own way. Uhm...check please?

EDIT: Damn, Knew I was forgetting something.
Last edited by Ryoga on 2003-07-01 04:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr.mal
Jedi Knight

Post by Sr.mal »

Silent Hill was trippy, so was:

Max Payne
Many others I can't think of now.
Ever since I was a scumdog, I blew a cum-wad.
I need a mother-fucking suckadickalickalong
A drunk, a pervert, a junkie and a sodimizer.
But you can call me the salaminizer
-The Salaminzer by GWAR
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I only really know Guilty Gear from the kickass music. However, for the biggest head trip, I'd have to say that spoiler-free Morrowind and Deus Ex are pretty damn good.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Super monkey balls because the monkeys are in balls. Just kidding. Enemy zero was a head trip, fighting invisible enemies... yeah that was fun.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Eternal fucking Darkness. Great great game, sick sort of detachment to characters by the designers, one becomes the main villian, one is sacraficed to a pillar of flesh, one goes insane and kills his servants and then is put in an asylum, one's death is foreshadowed, one is just crushed by a boss to a later character, one is assassinated while reading in his study, etc.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Of those Persona...which is far worse given that the translation is a tad diluted.

But not of those...Eternal Darkness...which screws with you. Silent Hill is meaner in it's implications but ED was uglier in what it tried to do to you.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Worms, I mean really...

Either that or the weirdness of Sumo Hoppers.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

weemadando wrote:Worms, I mean really...
Donkey bomb... :lol:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

thecreech wrote:
weemadando wrote:Worms, I mean really...
Donkey bomb... :lol:
Concrete donkey? :lol:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin