Fun

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Cool. I clicked a couple dozen times, and then after a few minutes, there was only one. There was three moons orbiting a minute before that, but one was pulled in by the moon, the other's orbit decayed and it crashed into Earth (It would have an elliptical orbit, and on one side, it would be really clsoe to the earth and moving really fast.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

I've had 10 (yes 10) going for about an hour now. 8 are in really bad elliptical orbits, but they are still out there, and the other 2 are as close to perfect as I've ever seen in an orbit.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

I was able to get about 5 in relatively stable elliptic orbits for about an hour and a half. One was -really- close to the Earth, only about a tenth of a diameter at closest approach and about a half diameter at furthest.
Then the next time I switched back to the window, I was done to one.

I have yet to get anything into a stable lunar orbit. The best I've managed is two orbits before the moon outpaces the satellite and pulls it back down. I don't think you can do any of the Langrage points, either. :)

I have managed a couple satellites that have had minute-long periods for a while (off-screen for much of the time), but they always get deflected by the moon sooner or later. If you get something to within about 2/3rds of the moon's orbit, it'll be deflected sooner or later (although, I've got two coming to at least 1/2 lunar orbit, and their close approaches seem to be normalizing their really elliptical orbits.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I try to put them a bit behind the moon so the moon's speed will take them out of its gravity well but with enough time for the influence to suck it away from Earth.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Shinova wrote:
YT300000 wrote:Woah, you shot that ragdoll pretty hard. :)
I meant the satellite program. :mrgreen:
I know. :D
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Reminds me of Spacewar.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

I just now got one to stay at L1 for about five seconds. :D
「かかっ―」