Naval Ops: Warship Gunner

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Naval Ops: Warship Gunner

Post by SylasGaunt »

Anyone else picked this up?

For those who haven't, basic rundown.

You command a destroyer back in the days of WWII.. unfortunately on your way to the next battle your flotilla gets sucked through a dimensional warp. Only you and one of your sister ships come through the warp and right into the middle of a battle, during the course of which your sister ship is sunk. Afterwards you learn that you've stumbled into a parralel universe where an enemy known only as 'The Empire' is generally opressing left and right and that it was an Imperial ship that sunk your companion vessel. Since that means you stomped on the Empire you've effectively thrown your lot in with the rebels.

The game's broken into two sections. One is a kind of arcadey shooting segment where you manuever your vessel over the seas and of course engage enemy ships to complete mission objectives. The second half is when you use the funds from those missions to upgrade your ship as well as build new ones.

I've been playing it almost non-stop for the last two days and it's pretty fun.. especially now that I've gotten all the techs fully upgraded though it gets pretty ridiculous.. I've been able to design a Battlecarrier carrying 10 jet aircraft of varying types with 6 25mm CIWS turrets, 2 anti-ship VLS missile systems, 2 anti-sub VLS missile systems, 2 anti-air VLS missile systems, and to top it all off a quartet of 80cm. guns in two dual turrets.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

And I forgot to mention.. the sucker clocks in at 24,000 tons and some change, 16.9 inch thick armor, and can steam along at 47 knots.. like I said, ridiculous.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SylasGaunt wrote:And I forgot to mention.. the sucker clocks in at 24,000 tons and some change, 16.9 inch thick armor, and can steam along at 47 knots.. like I said, ridiculous.
Indeed, the world's fastest major warship could only make 42 knots and it was a minelayer without armor. Multiple 800mm guns and armor beyond that of Yamato would easily require several hundred thousand tons.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

SylasGaunt wrote:And I forgot to mention.. the sucker clocks in at 24,000 tons and some change, 16.9 inch thick armor, and can steam along at 47 knots.. like I said, ridiculous.
What is it, a hundred feet long? Thats the only way that you could get that kind of armor with that kind of displacement.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well the way the Armor tech levels work gives you lighter armor but the same level of protection as you go up so my guess is the thickness thickness could just be what it's equal to in steel or it could be just as protective and a whole mess lighter with that being the actual thickness.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Though I'm still waiting to get ahold of one of these:

Or these:

Which is really the only thing stopping me from trying out WW2 mode..[/quote]
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ding ding, we have a new winner for worst warship ever conceived, beating out the kit bashed Type 45 with the Fuso's superstructure.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Ga! That twin hulled ship has really shitty firing arcs.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Jadeite wrote:Ga! That twin hulled ship has really shitty firing arcs.
Most of those Phalanx mounts can only fire straight up..
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Ding ding, we have a new winner for worst warship ever conceived, beating out the kit bashed Type 45 with the Fuso's superstructure.
Yeah, no shit.

I demand pics.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Howedar wrote:Yeah, no shit.

I demand pics.
I'll see if I have it saved.
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Never mind that, it's not even a dreadnought. Madness.
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well since you customize pretty much everything yourself that's entirely the fault of the guy who set it up for that picture.. I just like the Hull because it's got a shitload of room to load assorted nastiness onto.

In fact I wonder why they bothered with what looks like standard missile launchers when the VLS systems are better anyway and take up a lot less room. Not to mention they stuffed all those CIWS on there out of position (I always position mine along the edge if for no other reason than it lets it engage missiles that much further out) but he didn't include a single PD laser (which he's go the tech for if he's packing the heavy laser weapons I see scattered around there) and those are damn good and knocking missiles and planes out of the air.

Oh and he actually put multiple 100cm. guns on that thing.. the 100cm. is powerful yes but it can't hit shit.. it's only good for shore bombardment and even then it's not all that great. The 80cm. guns on the other hand can usually put the round at least close to where you want it (close enough to hit a moving ship anyway) and pack enough firepowerful that between one and three rounds will kill most any enemy vessel on the sea except maybe and upgraded Yamato. Not that I'd use that many gun turrets to begin with. The laser weapons are much better overall for anti-ship work and taking out shore emplacement that aren't behind hills or mountains (There's only two gun turrets more powerful and even then it's only slightly, the laser's also much more accurate though and is still powerful enough to sink most anything short of a battleship with a single shot) and for stuff behind those.. well you can squeeze in five or six VLS turrets in the space of one of those triple turrets.. hell the only reason my 2-hull battleship (as yet unnamed) has guns at all is for bringing down ships with high powered energy shielding.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Looks like a cool game. What are the system reqs?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

HemlockGrey wrote:Looks like a cool game. What are the system reqs?
PS2 I think the screenshots looks like a PS2 gaem with the Square X and triangle.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Yes it is a PS2 game.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Me wanty. All fear the Imperial Sea Destroyer. lol

Look in the credits for Manji.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You could builds some nasty surface warships with Imperial tech, but there's little point since you could more easily throw in repulsers then try to get the thing to float.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

SylasGaunt wrote:Though I'm still waiting to get ahold of one of these:

Snip
Or these:
Snip
Gahh! that is the worst, hackned Yamato/Iowa impausible fantasy ripoff's I have ever seen. Looks to be a interesting game however..does it come out on PC?
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Not to my knowledge.. and remember this isn't a simulation, it's more like an arcade shooter.. plus I addressed earlier that guy uses way too many cannons for the tech level he's at. In all likelyhood they just slapped as many large impressive looking guns as they could on there because unless that thing's packing some sort of super engine I haven't seen yet there's no way it could mount that many weapons and have much of any armor.. not with that top speed listed (though if that is just a display ship it makes sense since armor doesn't get a graphic addition).

As for the laser boat.. well what can i say other than the tech level goes past modern.. I still haven't found that particular laser though, wonder what it's function is.

Oh and I added a quartet of Yamato's to my kill tally.. only have IIRC around 1000 more hitpoints than each but my armor level meant that each of the Yamato's main gun turrets could only cause around 96 damage if all three projectiles hit.. while the laser cannons didn't lose any of their effectiveness against the Yamato's armor and were doing full damage (meaning the Yamato's with 7500 HP would go down after only four hits)
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Arcade game be damned! Satsuma and Yokozuna will deal with this crime against naval architecture.

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'd prefer to deal with them with any US BB between South Carolina and Iowa. Any of them would be up to the task.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Funny you should mention that since due to the fact I picked to go through the game as the Americans I can actually purchase an Iowa prebuilt in the depot..
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Went against Iowas equipped with energy shielding in the last mission I played (damn tough stuff to.. rendered the laser weapons on my carrier useless). Unfortunately the carrier I was engaging them with is packing enough armor it reduced the damage from the 16 inch gun shells to 97 out of it's normal 127 and the thing's got about 2500 hitpoints (about half what the Iowa does).

Unfortunately for that battleship squadron my carrier's air wing wasn't so laser dependant.. I didn't even have to move from where I'd parked just watch the fireworks and listen to the steady paced 'Enemy Ship Sunk' announcements.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well that was unexpected I got jumped by a damn Iceberg Carrier