Star Wars: Galaxies

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Star Wars: Galaxies

Post by Death from the Sea »

Anyone got this game yet? I hear it launched yesterday and a friend of mine says it is pretty cool. I was just looking for some other peoples opinions.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com and it just shipped...so I will have to get back to you when it comes in.

BTW, I just back from several stores and nobody had a copy of it.
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Hey, are they really going to do the whole "seperate battle" thing where you need "Blaster XP" or something like that, or is it going to be more like a FPS or something where you can more freely aim?

I mean, how do you ambush a guy or snipe his ass if you gotta do some damn screen for it?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

After careful thought, I've decided not to get that game. Online role-playing games are simply too time-intensive. Nevertheless, I do look forward to all or your discussions and screen-shots of the game. :)
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

RogueIce wrote:Hey, are they really going to do the whole "seperate battle" thing where you need "Blaster XP" or something like that, or is it going to be more like a FPS or something where you can more freely aim?

I mean, how do you ambush a guy or snipe his ass if you gotta do some damn screen for it?
Its standard MMORPG fare. MMOs are designed to be playable with dialup, and FPS mechanics do not mix well with such connections. There is also the matter of casual players who otherwise do not play games. They would be slaughtered in an FPS scenario, so a system that works for everyone is used. Its still quite possible to ambush people, I played DAoC extensively and it was a popular tactic of my friend and I, self-proclaimed "Death Gankers".
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JediNeophyte wrote:Its standard MMORPG fare. MMOs are designed to be playable with dialup, and FPS mechanics do not mix well with such connections. There is also the matter of casual players who otherwise do not play games. They would be slaughtered in an FPS scenario, so a system that works for everyone is used. Its still quite possible to ambush people, I played DAoC extensively and it was a popular tactic of my friend and I, self-proclaimed "Death Gankers".
Alright. But can you at least shoot someone from a window and they won't realize it until it's too late (aka snipers)? That would be much fun...

Still, the Beta story I read about shotting Womp Rats for Blaster XP...that just sounded really stupid to me...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:
JediNeophyte wrote:Its standard MMORPG fare. MMOs are designed to be playable with dialup, and FPS mechanics do not mix well with such connections. There is also the matter of casual players who otherwise do not play games. They would be slaughtered in an FPS scenario, so a system that works for everyone is used. Its still quite possible to ambush people, I played DAoC extensively and it was a popular tactic of my friend and I, self-proclaimed "Death Gankers".
Alright. But can you at least shoot someone from a window and they won't realize it until it's too late (aka snipers)? That would be much fun...

Still, the Beta story I read about shotting Womp Rats for Blaster XP...that just sounded really stupid to me...
For the latter, again, normal. You get used to it. As for the former, entirely possible, however I do not know the specifics of the game mechanics but if its anything like what I'm expecting, then it probably wouldn't matter overly much. I assume there will some sort of "stealth skill" which will allow you to remain hidden and pick people off in the PvP battles however.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

What I've always wondered is why more companies don't follow UO's lead, and simply work with isometric graphics. They look better, are easier to control, and can lead to actual tactical situations where you have the same kind of knowledge as a real person does, rather than being stuck with tunnel vision.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Graeme Dice wrote:What I've always wondered is why more companies don't follow UO's lead, and simply work with isometric graphics. They look better, are easier to control, and can lead to actual tactical situations where you have the same kind of knowledge as a real person does, rather than being stuck with tunnel vision.
I guess there's simply not enough interest in "old-school" graphics, I for one would be hesitant to buy a full-price, $15 a month MMO with such graphics. Look at the Baldur's Gate series, which you are no doubt familiar with judging by your avatar, the Infinity engine has been retired and NWN is more "3rd-person 3D" then traditional isometric.

Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

JediNeophyte wrote:I guess there's simply not enough interest in "old-school" graphics, I for one would be hesitant to buy a full-price, $15 a month MMO with such graphics. Look at the Baldur's Gate series, which you are no doubt familiar with judging by your avatar, the Infinity engine has been retired and NWN is more "3rd-person 3D" then traditional isometric.
There is no essential difference between NWN's viewpoint and that of BG2. Both are third-person, overhead viewpoints, with BG2 being far superior gameplay wise. NWN's engine prevents you from seeing far enough ahead of your character to actually use range weapons, while the infinity engine suffered no such drawback.

There is nothing stopping companies from making isometric 3D games though, and their games would be far better for it. A real person has knowledge of where they and others are in 3D space in a sphere around them. You lose this knowledge when presented with a first person 3D world.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Well, the Dark Guard is up and running agian, a bunch of us are in the game. I was on the Tarquinas server. I went to Corellia and landed in Coronet City. There I met Gilad Palleon and got a mission to go to the captain of the Chimera. Unfortunately upon finding the waypoint, there was nothing there but a big light shaft in the middle of the field. Bah. On a side note, I found a bunch of rebel recruiters and even ran into Garm Bel Iblis. Heh. Assasination attempt unlikely.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Cal Wright wrote:Well, the Dark Guard is up and running agian, a bunch of us are in the game. I was on the Tarquinas server. I went to Corellia and landed in Coronet City. There I met Gilad Palleon and got a mission to go to the captain of the Chimera. Unfortunately upon finding the waypoint, there was nothing there but a big light shaft in the middle of the field. Bah. On a side note, I found a bunch of rebel recruiters and even ran into Garm Bel Iblis. Heh. Assasination attempt unlikely.
I dont even have the game yet (damn slow postal service). but uh, you do realize that big light shaft is the waypoint. :D

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Thank you Professor Profound.

On another note, it seems the Galaxy I have chosen is a little bastard child and was losing connection all day yesterday. Which means all my hard work might be for nothing if we decide to go to another Galaxy. Not only that, when I take the Gilad Pallaeon mission, the Imperial Officer is there. However he's being attacked by two Rebel Scouts. Draw back. I can't fire on either one of them. BASTARDS!!!

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Cal Wright wrote:Thank you Professor Profound.
You are most welcome :D

Well i got the game yesterday and I have been playing it straight sionce then. Needless to say I am enjoying it immensly! Yeah, there are a few bugs and glitchesd, but overall I havent had any seriouse problems or crashes.

Well, back off to play now.

Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

What Galaxy are you in? Like I said there's four Dark Guard members and two of my friends in the Tarquinas Galaxy. It was a little shaky Sunday, but seems to be fixed. If anyone wants to come help on missions or is interested (shameless plug) in joing us, come on by. We're on Corellia. The base they're working on is around Doaba Goerfel, and I take shuttles between there and Coronet.

The Dark Guard Fleet

Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Cal Wright wrote:What Galaxy are you in? Like I said there's four Dark Guard members and two of my friends in the Tarquinas Galaxy. It was a little shaky Sunday, but seems to be fixed. If anyone wants to come help on missions or is interested (shameless plug) in joing us, come on by. We're on Corellia. The base they're working on is around Doaba Goerfel, and I take shuttles between there and Coronet.
Right now I am in Flurry, trying to become a Droid Engineer, but fortunatly players can create others characthers in a differant Galaxys! Maybe I will try to become a Bounty Hunter, could you guys use a Bounty Hunter???

Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

we could use a bitch

lol. bounty hunters usually work on thier own. however, yes i would more than happily pass out work to a bounty hunter just to see someone i dont like dragged in all helpless like. just before my squad of troopers walk in and cut them down. muwhahahahahhahaha

The Dark Guard Fleet

Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

Does it have a single player storyline or it's only for multiplayer?
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

This is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So, no single player story line. That's what Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, and the other games are for. (not to kick your arse or anything).

You fools will bow before me. I was just accepted into the Imperial ranks. muwhahahahahaha. I'm on the rise in battle and leadership. The Dark Guard has found a place to begin building a base at. Not only that, we have found a battle field on Naboo. Heh. There will never be a better time to join then now.

The Dark Guard Fleet

Sporkzen
Padawan Learner

Post by Sporkzen »

Oh heres a warning folks... On the character creation screen the bothans look alot taller than they really are hehe.

Thought i made a tall one and i'm half the height of a human.

Grats on making imperial cal.. too bad i'm gonna remain neutral to be a good smuggler.. (with some imperial faction points though) :P
Sweet jesus on a stick! Hey isnt that what we call easter?
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Cal Wright wrote:This is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So, no single player story line. That's what Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, and the other games are for. (not to kick your arse or anything).

You fools will bow before me. I was just accepted into the Imperial ranks. muwhahahahahaha. I'm on the rise in battle and leadership. The Dark Guard has found a place to begin building a base at. Not only that, we have found a battle field on Naboo. Heh. There will never be a better time to join then now.
Are you still on the Tarquinas server? I just started a new characther there, but im on Tatooine. You cannot have a Star Wars adventure and NOT start on tatooine. :lol: Well that was a unofficial rule we had back in the day of the WEG RPG.

Im a bit of a mixed character at the moment, I am both a Surveyor and a Engineer, working to become a Weaponsmith. Im also building up my marksman and scout skills. Im putting Bounty Hunter on hold until the game ecomony gets going and more items become available. I hope the Dark Guard could use a weaponsmith :D

I did some exploring on Tatooine and located Jabbas Palace. The place is HUGE! But they wouldnt let me in! I couldnt even talk to the guy who will give you permission to let you in, in this case its Ree-Yees, so I had to talk to his assistant and he gave me a mission to kill some Tuskan Raiders, but they slaughtered me!

ben
Youngling

Post by ben »

How many of the SD.Net Clan are playing this game and what server are you on, I'm currently on Wanderhome. hope to see some sdnetizens there.
Sporkzen
Padawan Learner

Post by Sporkzen »

ben wrote:How many of the SD.Net Clan are playing this game and what server are you on, I'm currently on Wanderhome. hope to see some sdnetizens there.
Jesiah Black (bothan) tarquinas server
Sweet jesus on a stick! Hey isnt that what we call easter?
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

So, what's the final verdict on Galaxies? Is it worth the money, or should I wait for Knights of the Old Republic? I must say I'm intrigued by Galaxies, but given some of the horrible things I've heard about the Massive Online Multiplayer, I really want to get a good feel for the game before I make a decision if I should buy it or KotOR.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
ben
Youngling

Post by ben »

I like it, so far i did not notice any griefing or such. unfortunately the player economies is not up to speed yet (at least on my server anyway) so it can be a hassle especially if you are a medic or entertainer. not enough people tip them or tip enough, which can suck if your lively hood is based on other players.