FFX and Grandia...seperated at birth?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

FFX is a straight retelling of the story from Grandia.

And nothing more.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Vendetta wrote:FFX is a straight retelling of the story from Grandia.

And nothing more.
Except for the fact that Grandia is retarded and the stories are completely different (if Square was going to rip off someone'e plotline, it certainly wouldn't be the uber-formulaic Grandia).

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Oi oi oi I smell spoilers >.<
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Be warned, FFX spoinlers may be evident in the following rant.
Durran Korr wrote:
Vendetta wrote:FFX is a straight retelling of the story from Grandia.

And nothing more.
Except for the fact that Grandia is retarded and the stories are completely different (if Square was going to rip off someone'e plotline, it certainly wouldn't be the uber-formulaic Grandia).
Special Girl is going to have to sacrifice her life to save the world from ancient recurring evil but isn't going to because she's fallen in love with gimpy male lead

It's the same fucking story, in fact, they're so similar, that I knew the exact relationship of the characters in FFX by the Mi'hen Highroad. The first time I saw the cutscene at the travel agency I knew exactly how Yuna's part in the story was mapped out, I knew her relationship with Tidus... I'd even partly counted on Square fucking up a good simple personal story with some 'dream of the fayth' bullshit (though not in as many words), as they have on so many occasions before. (See every FF game, where a good, direct, well told story goes horribly sideways in the last ten minutes and leaves everybody wondering "why the fuck did I just spend fifty hours chasing afvter this guy, when actually he's just a puppet/my brother/an inept fuckwit who likes pulling legs off spiders and happened to obtain godlike power by some spiteful accident)

In fact, Grandia is fare more enjoyable, because although Justin's a tit, at least he's not a morose, teen angsty, tit like Squa..., no Fei... No, Clou... sorry Tidus.

Bollocks to Square at the moment.

Vyse kicks all their asses and looks good doing it.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I yearn for the days of FF6.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

HemlockGrey wrote:I yearn for the days of FF6.
Me too... i haven't really liked a FF since then
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Well FFIX is ok. But yes FFIII is the best....*sigh* ...nine years ago...~Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Special Girl is going to have to sacrifice her life to save the world from ancient recurring evil but isn't going to because she's fallen in love with gimpy male lead
So take one plot element that's done completely differently in each game and use that as a basis to claim the two are carbon copies of one another?

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Durran Korr wrote: So take one plot element that's done completely differently in each game and use that as a basis to claim the two are carbon copies of one another?
Far from being "one plot element", that's the entire plot of Final Fantasy X, it's the single driving point that the entire pilgrimmage revolves around.

At least Grandia has some energy even before this story kicks in.

As I said before, I knew the story of FFX, without having it spoiled, from the first 5 or so percent of it, it was that close to what I'd already seen elsewhere.

If that weren't enough, despite them being the best handled of any FF game, and despite all the power of the format, the battles in FFX are still just "everyone line up and take turns", there's not even a nice dynamic presentation of them, which even Grandia managed a generation before.

It's ultra-conservative, it's structurally identical to its forbears, the characters just aren't engaging, and the story is lifted wholesale from elsewhere.

Square's school report says: Must try harder.

(I'm currently enjoying Final Fantasy Origins far more than I have FFX)
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Far from being "one plot element", that's the entire plot of Final Fantasy X, it's the single driving point that the entire pilgrimmage revolves around.
Except for the fact that there is no comparable pilgrimage in Grandia. Grandia, at its heart, is an adventure story, and that is the focus of the game. Saving the world is just something that is done along the way.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Blasphemer! Infidel! Heretic! HEATHEN!

*summons the Inquisition to deal with Vendetta*
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Vendetta wrote:Vyse kicks all their asses and looks good doing it.
HELL YEAH.

And Tidus is a wanker. Auron is the best character in FF10, followed by Lulu.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Vyse? Who is this lame character you speak of? :D:twisted:

Someone to get 0wned by Auron, perhaps? :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Heh. Vyse is more of a man at 17 than Tidus, Squall and Cloud combined could be in their entire lives.

Don't argue with a guy who can call a moon down to smite your candy ass.

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Iceberg wrote:Heh. Vyse is more of a man at 17 than Tidus, Squall and Cloud combined could be in their entire lives.

He's not in an FF game, is he? Or a Squaresoft one?

No?

Then he must suck. :twisted:

*snicker*

But considering some of the things you've said, I can see why you're sticking up for the V-man, Mark. I mean, IIRC, you do use him as an avatar on occasion for, um... never mind. 8)

Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Steve wrote:
Iceberg wrote:Heh. Vyse is more of a man at 17 than Tidus, Squall and Cloud combined could be in their entire lives.

But considering some of the things you've said, I can see why you're sticking up for the V-man, Mark. I mean, IIRC, you do use him as an avatar on occasion for, um... never mind. 8)
Just the fact that Vyse isn't a self-pitying whore like oh, three of the last four male FF leads (Tidus, Squall and Cloud, namely) puts him head and shoulders above.