Fallout 3 ?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Fallout 3 ?

Post by Vympel »

Sorry for the enthusiasm, as this may be somewhat premature

Fallout 3?

But hey, I like Fallout, so sue me.

No more long links for you! - Phong
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

They're known for a long time that Fallout is a cult hit and has a huge following, and they've shown this by making game after game that follows the same format. To some degree, Planescape:Torment was much the same as Fallout. Lionheart likely will be similar as well. Various Fallout-themed games are appearing for consoles and the like.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T make a Fallout 3, given the money they know they'd make. But I expect it to fall under the mantle of a 'Duke Nukem Forever' type of game, that will come out when they feel they have enough ideas, comedic material, and innovative plot to warrant a whole new RPG.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Apparently the rumblings have been going on since at least May

Interesting info in that link.

Visiting the Lionheart forums as I do from time to time (never registered though), talk of Fallout 3 was always big, because everyone was so pissed off that what they thought was going to be Fallout 3 was actually Lionheart. Not that I won't buy Lionheart, I mean, come on, it's Black Isle, and it uses the SPECIAL system. But up until basically this month and the end of last month all the talk was "no, Fallout 3 is impossible, the higher ups don't want it" blah blah ... now all of a sudden, talk about the 'Van Buren' codename game they're working on and this and the above link.

Fallout 3? Possibly.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Vympel wrote: ... now all of a sudden, talk about the 'Van Buren' codename game they're working on and this and the above link.
It's something to hope for. Although I've heard the 'Van Buren' name used before...might help if I could recall...Is it a name of someone famous? Code-word? Hey, anyone got any clue where that name might have been heard outside of gaming?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Lagmonster wrote:
Vympel wrote: ... now all of a sudden, talk about the 'Van Buren' codename game they're working on and this and the above link.
It's something to hope for. Although I've heard the 'Van Buren' name used before...might help if I could recall...Is it a name of someone famous? Code-word? Hey, anyone got any clue where that name might have been heard outside of gaming?
It's the name of a President of the United States- that's how they codename their games. Currently the games they're working on in secret are named Jefferson, Van Buren and ... one other.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Oh pleeeeeeeeease be true...I've heard the rumor, scoured the boards...and still no true confirmation.

But please be true...I can only play Fallout 2 so much more...okay so it won't end...but a new one will be awesome.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Oh please o please o pretty pretty please let this be true.
I want Fallout 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I want Fallout 3 as much as anyone, but most of the people who made it great are long gone now, and tactics doesn't give me a lot of hope.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:I want Fallout 3 as much as anyone, but most of the people who made it great are long gone now, and tactics doesn't give me a lot of hope.
I defense of Tactics, it was never meant to be another Fallout gameplay-wise. More something along the lines of Jagged Alliance or X-Com in the Falloutverse.
The personell situation IS dishartening, though.

Great. Now you've got me all depressed. I hope you're happy :evil:
*hurls batarang at Crazey_Vasey*
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I played the demo and didn't rate it as a JA2 style game, but it was more the graphics that pissed me off. What happened to the visual style? It looked about as much like Fallout as Doom 3 does. They completely missed the boat there. How could you miss the whole retro 50s style look of Fallout? They must have been blind or something.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:I played the demo and didn't rate it as a JA2 style game but it was more the graphics that pissed me off. What happened to the visual style? It looked about as much like Fallout as Doom 3 does. They completely missed the boat there. How could you miss the whole retro 50s style look of Fallout? They must have been blind or something.
*shrugs* Whatever floats your boat (or sinks it, in this case). I'll grant you the 50s style certainly wasn't there, but I like the graphics regardless.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:I want Fallout 3 as much as anyone, but most of the people who made it great are long gone now, and tactics doesn't give me a lot of hope.
Which people? Tim Cain left after Fallout 1, and Fallout 2 still ruled, for example.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

I think Tactics did multiperson combat very well, and as a dedicated Fallout fan I wait with baited breath (what did I bait mine with today, I wonder?) for the third instalment.

At the very least, I'll get to play with my favorite sniper/gauss rifle again. Hell, Maybe they'll have a sniper gauss, for the ultimate in one-shot-kills.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fallout 3 ?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Vympel wrote:Sorry for the enthusiasm, as this may be somewhat premature

Fallout 3? Fallout fallout fallout fallllooooooouuttttttttt fallout fallout fallout 3 3 three 3 three three 3 tres threee tria etc

But hey, I like Fallout, so sue me.
Your article dressing was three times longer than the article hyperlink itself. :P

But still, coooooool. I'd buy a Fallout 3, if they ever came out with one.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Vympel wrote:
Which people? Tim Cain left after Fallout 1, and Fallout 2 still ruled, for example.
As I recall half the people working on Fallout 2 left halfway through development to form their own company. Been a bloody long time since I was a Fallout junkie though so I'm not gonna be able to give specific names.

Anyway a quote from JE Sawyer seems to say FO3 is under construction
An important thing to remember in all of these discussions is that "it worked and you're messing it up" doesn't really apply in an entirely new engine and new game. We're not building off of any old data or assumptions about how things are placed in the world. It's not like changing any of these skill categories affects, for good or ill, how people play Fallout and Fallout 2. There's a lot of stuff in SPECIAL that doesn't need to be changed at all. But you and I and anyone else shouldn't balk at critically examining the system as though it's going to go into a game for the very first time. Because, from a literal standpoint, it is. We're working with a clean slate, code-wise.
Short of saying "we're making fallout 3" they couldn't be any more blatant.

Well, as it seems like it's coming I might as well be optimistic.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

My faith in humanity has been crushed. They're making a Fallout third person shooter for the consoles. Interplay are whores. Evil bastard whores.

I don't think it's related to the above quote though... Damn... They've whored out Fallout just like what happened with X-COM.
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:My faith in humanity has been crushed. They're making a Fallout third person shooter for the consoles. Interplay are whores. Evil bastard whores.

I don't think it's related to the above quote though... Damn... They've whored out Fallout just like what happened with X-COM.
I would rather reserve judgement for now... if they do it right... IF they do it right...
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

As long as I get my proper Fallout 3, they can make Fallout Pokemon for all I care. Got to catch all the Deathclaws!