My GF is getting a new laptop

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I'm not a big fan of HP laptops either.

IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Compaq Evo[/v]...
bibblenorn
Redshirt

Post by bibblenorn »

Any specific reasons?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

bibblenorn wrote:Any specific reasons?
Ehh, it's hard to be a fan of HP laptops or computers in general. They tend to be kinda chintzy and really high-priced. And you don't get what you pay for with HPs, generally speaking.
bibblenorn
Redshirt

Post by bibblenorn »

how is it for reliability though. I can get a pretty good discount on anything hp... grandpa is an hp retiree.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

phongn wrote:Why is this thread in OT, anyways? It should be in GC!
Because I screwed up and no mod had caught it yet?

Oh, and no poking bibblenorn...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

bibblenorn wrote:how is it for reliability though. I can get a pretty good discount on anything hp... grandpa is an hp retiree.
Not so good either. OTOH, hard to beat the price.
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

From my previous experience, I would never again touch a Compaq unless I had to.

Go for the Alienware laptop if you want performance (and style), the options are fully customizable and you'll get a good deal.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ahem... She has a max cost of $1300.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Beowulf wrote:Ahem... She has a max cost of $1300.
That's not very high. Still, in that price range, you can get Thinkpad R and Thinkpad G series laptops from IBM. (With P4 2.00 GHz)

From Toshiba, you can pick up an A15 Satellite series laptop (slightly larger screeen, but it has a Celeron processor operating at 2.00 - 2.20 GHz.) Though I am admittedly somewhat indifferent to Toshiba notebooks.

From Dell (as indifferent as I am to them) you can pick up several Inspiron models. Mind you, they tend to lack some of the performance that the Toshiba and IBM notebooks offer.

And Sony, Compaq, and HP can kiss my ass.

<edit>
I got this from fifteen minutes of research.
</edit>
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Beowulf wrote:Ahem... She has a max cost of $1300.
Hence why I pointed out setting up a custom system on their site, their custom-system option used to allow for mid-range spec and went down to $1,100. I just went on their site, however, and tried to set up a decent system for the lowest price. Unfortunately they seem to have taken off all their old equipment, the lowest price I got was $2,180. Damn them.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I'm not a big fan of the Thinkpad G line.

Thinkpad R is actually rather decent.

However, in this case as she's somewhat cash-strapped, she might want to go the HP route - it's not a great laptop, but she'll save some money via her grandfather.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It's a graduation gift from here grandfather, and there's a rather hard limit at $1300 as to how much he'll pay for her laptop. Plus, I don't think she's going to be carrying it around very much.
bibblenorn
Redshirt

Post by bibblenorn »

I am having troubles tweaking Thinkpad R or G to my specifications for under the price limit.
The HP looks like one of the better ones I've seen in stores around here. And it'll probably suit my needs until I need a new one. After all, I'll be a business major...
Also, grandpa would prefer to see it in a store before we buy.
Still have a bit longer to decide...
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Yea, you might not get what you want on it. Since your grandfather can hook you up, get the HP for now.
bibblenorn
Redshirt

Post by bibblenorn »

BestBuy doesn't actually keep them in stock. They just advertise them in the paper, on their website, and have a display model. They don't actually keep them in the store. Heaven forbid! *snort*

Grandpa is ordering it from the employee section of the hp site. It will take another week. *sigh*
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

bibblenorn wrote:It will take another week. *sigh*
*pats head*

It's ok dear, you have a fairly good desktop system until you get your new comp.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Re: Youngling!

Post by Shogoki »

Jaris Merc wrote:Ive ranked up! yay :P of course at the rate i post I will be long dead and the sun will have burnt out before i rank up agian!
Quiet, you amateur.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Re: Youngling!

Post by Beowulf »

Shogoki wrote:
Jaris Merc wrote:Ive ranked up! yay :P of course at the rate i post I will be long dead and the sun will have burnt out before i rank up agian!
Quiet, you amateur.
*argh* the spam! The choice has been made, and ordered.