My friend and I learned a valuable lesson... (more WH40K)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

My friend and I learned a valuable lesson... (more WH40K)

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Never. Ever. Ever. Fight an armored company versus armoed company battle. It just doesn't work, though we foolishly ignored the mathematics that told us it wouldn't:

Armored company = win

Both of our armored companies were undefeated thanks to the above theorum... now we each have a stalemate on our records O_o
It was sick I tell you, sick.

My force:
1 commander's Leman Russ Vanquisher
1 commissar's Leman Russ (lots of upgrades)
1 3-piece battery of Basilisks + indirect fire
1 Chimaera-mounted armored fist squad
1 2-piece Leman Russ (stock) squadron
1 Leman Russ Exterminator

His force:
1 commander's Leman Russ Demolisher
1 commissar's Leman Russ Exterminator
1 3-piece battery of Basilisks + indirect fire
2 Chimaera-mounted armored fist squads
1 2-piece Leman Russ squadron

We started about 6 feet away from each other, we didn't have the rules for a Tank Armageddon mission on hand so we just did a "kill the guys trying to kill you" deal. The first 3 rounds or so were fairly normal. I fucked up the ranging shots on my Basilisks so I didn't kill much on the first turn. But we traded fire, back and forth, with roughly equal effect. Oddly, we were rolling Crew Stunned results up the ass, and in the wierdest situations too. I was getting on the Ordinance Penetrating chart but kept rolling fucking 1s, and the only lucky glancing hit of the game (scored by my Exterminator's heavy bolters) was also a Crew Stunned. By the fifth or sixth turn, nearly every vehicles was immobilised or had its main weapon destroyed, turning the game into a pissing match of lucky glancings. My Chimaera was in a duel with one of his, and our Exterminators were about 6 inches away from each other pounding the other with everything they had. My Commissar's tank was wasted by an Earthshaker round and one crew man got out... I used him to charge my friend's Demolisher with his laspistol. My only remaining Basilisk got a weapon destroyed (guess which gun my friend picked to take out), so I used it as my Mobile Assault Platform (TM). I didn't glue in the gun deck, so I slid it out and set it aside then put the two crewmen on top of the vehicle and had it drive around firing its heavy bolter at everything. Eventually we called it a stalemate.

Moral of the story: Don't fight armored company vs. armored company battles. Just say no.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Sr.mal
Jedi Knight

Post by Sr.mal »

I just finished a game started yesterday. It was a battle of Imp. Guard vs. Dark Eldar. It was not based on points, but how many model could be brought on. The DE guy had around 4500 points of DE. My Imp. Guard alone had 10000 points, with a 5000 oint attachment o Grey Knights. Needless to say I got to go first and only one of his transports survived, he had around 14 of them. His trun all he could do was move forward, the game was played on a 8X4 table with each player on a long edge. The game was in the bag after turn one. Then again I had a 10000 point advantage. My turn two was the wipeout. First thing that happened was that 3 squads of Grey Knight Tremies teleported in, and 6 squads of regular knights. The shooting caused complete casualties. There was not a single DE model left on the table. The one big mistake by the DE was that his lord and mangled retinue was in range to assault one of my squads on his next turn. The lord had a 2+ Inv. save. The unfortunate thing was the squad he was going to assault was a Purgation sqaud with 4 Psycannons. The look on his face was precious when he found out all he could do was die.
Me: Ok this squad is going to open up on your lord. Okay 16 shots, 10 hit, wow 9 wounds. Okay its ap 4 so your lord and retinue is dead.
Him: He has a shadow field so he has a 2+ Inv. save.
Me: Nope he does not get any save his armor is killed by the ap and psycannon allow no Inv, saves.
Him: Damn that's cheesy, looks like I am going to collect some grey knights now.

When I have 10 basilisks and too many tanks the fight goes in my favor.
Ever since I was a scumdog, I blew a cum-wad.
I need a mother-fucking suckadickalickalong
A drunk, a pervert, a junkie and a sodimizer.
But you can call me the salaminizer
-The Salaminzer by GWAR
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

That reminds me of some old edition( meaning 2 or more editions ago) battles, 1 thousand point fight between marines and Eldar, where two termie squads telepotred down, and sustained fired the Eldar off of the map(old rules, if you hit and wounded, you kept going), taking only two casualties. The other was a huge battle, lots of marines and eldar on one aide, chaos, tyranids, and dark eldar on the other, but this was when Whirlwinds were a three inch Krak template, I only stuck around for one turn, but the bad guys were suffering such horrendous casualties the battl was a fore-gone conclusion.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

consequences wrote:That reminds me of some old edition( meaning 2 or more editions ago) battles, 1 thousand point fight between marines and Eldar, where two termie squads telepotred down, and sustained fired the Eldar off of the map(old rules, if you hit and wounded, you kept going), taking only two casualties. The other was a huge battle, lots of marines and eldar on one aide, chaos, tyranids, and dark eldar on the other, but this was when Whirlwinds were a three inch Krak template, I only stuck around for one turn, but the bad guys were suffering such horrendous casualties the battl was a fore-gone conclusion.
Ahh..the old sustained fire rules that actually gave assault cannons a use!
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Coaan wrote:
Yes, the new rules for assault cannons are bad enough. The rules for twin-linking them... Grrrr! I want my bucket of sustained fire dice, not the chance for a re-roll that I'll never need because its goddamn space marines firing them!
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

weemadando wrote:
Coaan wrote:
Yes, the new rules for assault cannons are bad enough. The rules for twin-linking them... Grrrr! I want my bucket of sustained fire dice, not the chance for a re-roll that I'll never need because its goddamn space marines firing them!
You should have seen the beast that Keevan came up with for his own custom chapter...Called it the 'Anniahlator'.Was basically a Rhino with twin assault cannons on the front.... back in the day when sustained dice were the standard. It had no less than 12 sustained fire die...there was nothing that could stand up to it when it didn't jam..

On an unrelated note...you learn quickly, not to place your heavy terminator squads with cyclones NEXT or even near one another....a critical failure with a Cyclone is baaaaad.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

It was actually pointed and done as a razorback modification....my chapter generally went with the 5 man combat squads as its standard deployment..though the beast carried a tech marine more often than not....single handedly it stopped an entire tyranid army.....it was also good anti-tank...in those days an assault cannon had the armour penetration of a krak missile....it always got the job done....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

*Sniff* I miss those days, when a Space marine on Ork dreadnought duel would end in the first turn with 5-7 krak missile equivalent hits taking out the ork. Happy days. :cry: