DOOM3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

DOOM3

Post by Kelly Antilles »

What can I say other than OH MY FUCKING GOD.

I was just watching Pulse on G4 and they showed some of D3 from E3. It has a very Resident Evil-ish look with all the original weapons. It looks so fucking wonderful. I cannot wait for it to come out.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

It is going to be bad ass. I have never really been a big doom fan (puts on flame retarded suite) but this one looks kick ass
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'll believe it when I see it on store shelves.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

While you're at it, you should see the Half Life 2 trailers as well.

Graphics-wise, HL2 is much more impressive.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I have a friend who managed to get a copy of the E3 leak and OMG that looks incredible. However, as good as the graphics are they have a very obvious fake feeling to them. Its almost too sharp. Still, the graphics are freaking out of this world and only HL2 can compare.

Two games to be looking forward to for sure.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Alyeska wrote:I have a friend who managed to get a copy of the E3 leak and OMG that looks incredible. However, as good as the graphics are they have a very obvious fake feeling to them. Its almost too sharp.
HL2's graphics are better, in my opinion, because they don't have anywhere near as much of that "fake feeling".
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Shinova wrote:
Alyeska wrote:I have a friend who managed to get a copy of the E3 leak and OMG that looks incredible. However, as good as the graphics are they have a very obvious fake feeling to them. Its almost too sharp.
HL2's graphics are better, in my opinion, because they don't have anywhere near as much of that "fake feeling".
That "fake feeling" you guys are talking about is call "bump mapping" get use to it because everyone is going to start doing it soon.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Bump mapping has existed since the G400, though most games are only now taking advantage of it.
Kintaro
Jedi Knight

Post by Kintaro »

I believe Doom 3 is going to be in real time. I can't wait to see the Cyber-demon.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Shinova wrote:HL2's graphics are better, in my opinion, because they don't have anywhere near as much of that "fake feeling".
We heard you the first time, you think HL2 has better graphics. Doesn't mean the two games can't coexist, or be good games in their own right.

Hell, modern RTSs are better than the original C&C. But C&C is still fun. And, despite HL2 being prettier than Doom3, Doom3 still looks pretty damn awesome.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I still think Halo 2 bump mapping > Doom 3 bump mapping.

Doom 3 really isn't looking as appealing to me as I thought it would. Half-Life 2, Deus Ex 2, and Halo 2 are just going to be better games, IMO. Doom 3 will still be the same mindless "shoot everything in sight, find a key to open the door" gameplay.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Doom 3 really isn't looking as appealing to me as I thought it would. Half-Life 2, Deus Ex 2, and Halo 2 are just going to be better games, IMO. Doom 3 will still be the same mindless "shoot everything in sight, find a key to open the door" gameplay.
So? You need something "mindless" every now and again to play. It's called STRESS RELEASE.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

theheap wrote:
Shinova wrote:
That "fake feeling" you guys are talking about is call "bump mapping" get use to it because everyone is going to start doing it soon.
HL2 also uses bump mapping. Doom 3 had a "fake feeling" far higher then HL2 did from the screen shots I have seen.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I still think Halo 2 bump mapping > Doom 3 bump mapping.

Doom 3 really isn't looking as appealing to me as I thought it would. Half-Life 2, Deus Ex 2, and Halo 2 are just going to be better games, IMO. Doom 3 will still be the same mindless "shoot everything in sight, find a key to open the door" gameplay.
Sorta. Doom 3 is going to be much more small scale based compared to the original. Those big angry pink things that liked to charge and eat you in the original are now real sons of bitches to kill. So they have changed the game play style by a fair degree.

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Alyeska wrote:Sorta. Doom 3 is going to be much more small scale based compared to the original. Those big angry pink things that liked to charge and eat you in the original are now real sons of bitches to kill. So they have changed the game play style by a fair degree.
More survival horror and less shoot-em-up, probably.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I refere you to gamespots 5 interviews about the game (doom3)

the main differnce between Doom 3 and HL2, is the physics engine, doom 3 has a per polygon physic, and appearntly its not really importent, while in HL2 the physics is practecly a character, with a gravity gun that picks up stuff and throws it around.

I just watch the HL 2 movies from Gspot.

anyone willing to endure a LONG file transfare, I can send the movies over, including all Doom 3 ones
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Even with my fucked up reflexes, I spend time on FPS games killing my boss and the damn tourons over and over again.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

What exactly is bump mapping again?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

Straha wrote:What exactly is bump mapping again?
Basically it allows you to use alot of detail without using alot of polygons. It's more or less a light effect that gives depth and shade without using extra polygons... sorry I can't explain these things to well. There's a little more to it but thats basically it