Linux related .(Noob) :(

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Linux related .(Noob) :(

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Ok I never touch this stuff in my life and all I want to do is install Aim and MSN messenger so I can contact my friends but I have no clue how. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't know how to install or do the necessary things and this is BUGGING me...:(

Please if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I tried google and found some places but my mind is blank to what I read....

[rant]Stupid Road Runner decided to bail on me!!![/rant]

Thanks and Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Head to GAIM's download page. If you have Mandrake Linux, download "gaim-0.64-1mdk.i586.rpm," otherwise download "gaim-0.64-1.i386.rpm". If you have a modern Linux distribution, you should just be able to double-click the file to install (it'll ask you for the root password).

After it installs, it'll put itself into some menu (depends by distro), look for "Instant Messenger" or "GAIM." If that fails, just run "gaim" to run it. Log into your AIM account the first time, and then somewhere there's an account menu to add your MSNIM account.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

What's the root password suppose to be?~Jason

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

If you don't know the root password, you cannot install the program. Only superuser accounts may install stuff.

Secondly, if you do not understand the concept of a root account and you're using Linux, it's time to hit the books. You've got to walk before you can run.
Soontir C'boath

K, actually my bro installed it. I'm just on to browse and that trying to get that above...

I'll go ask him.

Cyaround,
Jason
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Be careful what you play around with. Linux lets you do a lot of stuff.....both good and bad for your machine.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

phongn wrote:If you don't know the root password, you cannot install the program. Only superuser accounts may install stuff.

Secondly, if you do not understand the concept of a root account and you're using Linux, it's time to hit the books. You've got to walk before you can run.
Actually, kids run before they walk :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Soontir C'boath

Arggg says failure....~Jason ...bleh...
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ask your brother for help then.