Wing Commander Prophecy GBA

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Wing Commander Prophecy GBA

Post by Bob McDob »

Yay, I'm too lazy to think of anything to say so I'll just quore TC:
Hooray!
http://www.wcnews.com
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

To quote me: egh. Unless they're going to produce an all new game any time soon color me apathetic.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

What?...how the hell can they even expect to capture what they created on the pc?..it's a waste of good programming time...
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Damn, it must have taken a lot of work to compress that game down into 32MB or so.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stormbringer wrote:To quote me: egh. Unless they're going to produce an all new game any time soon color me apathetic.
Wing Commander is effectively dead.
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

It's surprisingly playable, actually. The controls are a bit quirky, but they're a lot better than I expected, and it captures the feel of Prophecy on the PC quite well.

In fact, the biggest problem may be it's too faithful to the PC version. There's some tweaking though, mostly to shields and weapons, that I think really enhances the experience - I never liked Prophecy's "5000 hits to kill" baddies, expecially whent here's dozens onscreen. Obviously there aren't as many in here, but it's still a thrill when you see the Midway for the first time in glorious 3D.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

phongn wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:To quote me: egh. Unless they're going to produce an all new game any time soon color me apathetic.
Wing Commander is effectively dead.
Yeah. I know it. (Damn them killing it with that peice of shit movie! :evil: :evil: ) Which is why I'm particularly apathetic. I hope the game does well and maybe clues people in to the fact there are lots of eager Wingnuts out there.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Interesting, but then WC Prophecy is the only one I've played and I didn't like it very much.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Interesting, but then WC Prophecy is the only one I've played and I didn't like it very much.
It had some serious flaws. For my money Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom was the best of them.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Stormbringer wrote: It had some serious flaws. For my money Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom was the best of them.
Storywise, you mean, Yes.

Playwise, no. It was fucking impossible to get a lock on the enemy with
guns, I ended up using missiles 95% of the time...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Hmm, that's odd ... I don't think I know anyone else who ever really had a problem with it ... maybe you should switch difficulty off Nightmare <G>
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

MKSheppard wrote:Storywise, you mean, Yes.

Playwise, no. It was fucking impossible to get a lock on the enemy with
guns, I ended up using missiles 95% of the time...
Really? I never had that problem. I rarely used missles, the guns were so much easier.
TC
Redshirt

Post by TC »

[quote="Stormbringer" (Damn them killing it with that peice of shit movie! :evil: :evil: ) Which is why I'm particularly apathetic. I hope the game does well and maybe clues people in to the fact there are lots of eager Wingnuts out there.[/quote]

I hate it when people blame the movie, since it's demonstrably true that it wasn't because of the movie that the series has yet to be continued. Development on Wing Commander related things at EA actually increased after the movie's release. It fell off when it was noticed that the space sim market wasn't doing too well and they'd make more money focusing more on other things.

Also, even now Wing Commander isn't stone cold dead, with rather serious discussion happening every once and a while at EA about developing a new game, unfortunately nothing's come of this sort of thing as of yet.
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

PC Gamer did an article about a year ago noting that if the FPS shooter trend slowed down, spacesims could be the Next Big Thing.

It's not like this "slump" is any worse than the RPG one of 1994-1998 or the current adventure game one (where we get things like the Longest Journey every now ant then).