My ignominious defeat.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

My ignominious defeat.

Post by Yogi »

That's it. I give up. After three straight days trying to get Linux from Scratch to work, I've had it. I'm switching to an esablished distribution of Linux that will let my tinker with things, that does not involve me spitting up blood in frustration.

Is Slackware good?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

All I know is that Mandrake is widely accepted as the easiest distribution to work with for the non-techie.

Assuming you're a layperson when it comes to Linux.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

The problem is, that I AM sort of techie. I want somethng I can tinker with. I swithed to Linux to get AWAY from layers of GUI and pre-packaged binaries.

Unfortunatly, Linux from Scratch was more than I could handle.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Ever tried Debian?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

If you're completely new at Linux, you can download KNOPPIX and run it. It runs off your CD-ROM, so there's no danger of screwing up and having to reinstall Windows.

And even if you prefer a regular distro, Knoppix is great for running on school boxes with bootable CD-ROMs.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mandrake is decent, though I prefer RedHat. A lot of people like SuSE, but that distro is somewhat harder to use.

Slackware is not something that's easy, neither is Debian.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Run automated LFS. I used LFS until I stopped using that 10 year old box. Now using Debian, though have'n't fully configurued it yet.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor