Star Trek Armada (SW v ST mod)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Star Trek Armada (SW v ST mod)

Post by jegs2 »

Bought Star Trek: Armada yesterday for ten bucks, and so far I'm quite pleased with the game. Found the following website:

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/armad ... ersion.htm

...where I can download a Star Wars vs. Star Trek mod. Did download, but had problems expanding stvswfull.zip. There is probably a simple trick to making the modification work, and I'd much enjoy playing the Imperial forces opening a can of whoopazz on the slimy Fed-types, but alas, I know not said trick. Helpful hints from those steeped in experience in matters such as these is solicited henceforth...
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Try the forums at the site that made the thing. http://www.nightsoftware.com/project/armada/
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Because this is meant to be a playable game, the ST vs SW mod sacrafices "realism" for playability. The SW sides have more firepower, but are also slower and more expensive. In the early game the ST side has an advantage to how quickly they can pump out semi decent ships. However, to help prevent rushing every side starts with some hero units that can help defend your base. Furthermore, bases are really well armed and can hold their own against most ships.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
xcountryman03
Redshirt

Post by xcountryman03 »

I told everyone this was cool :D :D
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

I've been playin it for months. I've also been giving thought to editing the stats a bit for more 'realistic' battles. Just for kicks... ;)
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That would make for a pretty boring game.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Darth Balls wrote:I've been playin it for months. I've also been giving thought to editing the stats a bit for more 'realistic' battles. Just for kicks... ;)
how would one edit the stats?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

Yeah it would be boring as hell after you play it once or twice, but it would be fun to play just once for a supreme smackdown.

Edit the stat files with notepad. A couple months ago I was running through some of the stat files but didnt do anything in depth. I'm fairly sure this is how it's done.

One of these days if I'm not lazy I'll do it, it would be funny to totally own like 7 Hard CPU Feds as the empire.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

...with one stardestroyer
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:...with one stardestroyer
Which as the Empire you start out with. A single jump into the oppositions base with a single salvo wiping out everything is not very fun.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Well, it would be the first time....

Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

Heh, I'd just turtle and build a Super Star Destroyer. Then let them throw everything they've got at it. Then have a fleet of ISD 2's jump in.....oh wait...that's what I do anyways.... :lol:
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

The best Armada mod that I have came on a Demo disk I got from EGM. It had a few mods, but on my favorite it puts the Borg way up to where they should be. Their cubes are about 2.5 times larger than they are normally, and they have tons of firepower. Awesome.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Try the forums at the site that made the thing. http://www.nightsoftware.com/project/armada/
Okay, downloaded their version, which turned out to be equally corrupt and useless. Has anyone gotten this mod to work?
Warwolves G2
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Well, it would be the first time....
No it really wouldn't be, just a big waste of time loading the game and map.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Mods are corrupt!

Post by jegs2 »

Tried two different sites that had mods -- both were corrupt and useless.

So............................

Has anyone found, downloaded, and installed a ST v SW mod for Star Trek Armada that wasn't corrupt and that acually worked? If so, please tell me where. BTW, here are the locations of the two corrupt files, lest someone recommend them:

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com

http://www.nightsoftware.com/project/armada/
Warwolves G2
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

I got mine from your second link and it worked fine. This was some time ago however and they have switched servers since. I guess you could email them saying you believe the file they have is corrupt.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Darth Balls wrote:I got mine from your second link and it worked fine. This was some time ago however and they have switched servers since. I guess you could email them saying you believe the file they have is corrupt.
I downloaded it a second time, and it installed. They were down yesterday, so perhaps they were fixing the corrupt file.
Warwolves G2
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

Glad to hear it. :D
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Got the game working somewhat with the mod. It won't load many of the missions, exiting to Windows instead. And the ST v SW says in big red letters, "NOT AVAILABLE YET" I must be missing something... Did use both available patches to the mod.
Warwolves G2
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

There is no single player campaign. It says not available yet for that. You gotta play instant action instead. Or multiplayer if you can find friend. Some of the maps just don't work. So it's not just you.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

I don't know... Actually, I did edit the stats for more realistic battles tho hehe... Yeah, but Darth Balls is right, instant action is the only way. But of course, I got overconfident one time and tried to build my shipyards in the open and they were pounded by the Feds, probably because I was using low-end Conquest(Mike Wong's Fanfic)-era low end stats to give the feds a fighting chance.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Just two questions;

1. From which site did you actually finally get it jegs?
2. Does this work with Armada 1.0?
3. How do I edit ship stats?

Okay that was three, so sue me. :P
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
JodoForce
Village Idiot

Post by JodoForce »

How old is this game? Do I still have a chance of buying it? :|
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Crown wrote: 2. Does this work with Armada 1.0?
If it's the mod I'm thinking.....there's probably a version for both armada 1 and 2
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994