Hungry For Snake?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Hungry For Snake?

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

http://www.konamijpn.com/countdown/count.php

The Japanese PR guys at Konami need an English ad slogan worker or something. This sounds far too... weird.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

No, I am not hungry for snake I have ethical problems with eating my future research subjects.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Oooh, phallic. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
McNum
Padawan Learner

Post by McNum »

It probably ties in with the next Metal Gear Solid game. It's rumoured to have the subtitle "Snake Eater".

There's a leaked trailer loose on the net. It starts with Snake eating a snake and goes to more or less Rambo style jungle combat. Nice looking, actually.

Doesn't "Snake Eater" have some military meaning? I think I've heard it before, but can't remember what it was...
I'm the Randomly Chosen One!
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

McNum wrote:It probably ties in with the next Metal Gear Solid game. It's rumoured to have the subtitle "Snake Eater".

There's a leaked trailer loose on the net. It starts with Snake eating a snake and goes to more or less Rambo style jungle combat. Nice looking, actually.

Doesn't "Snake Eater" have some military meaning? I think I've heard it before, but can't remember what it was...
Snake Eater was a term given to SpecOps units in 'Nam since they spent most of the time in the jungle the regular units figured they were so tough that they ate snakes out there. :| you have been enlightened
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I just watched the leaked video. To me, it looks like they've upped the quality of MGS2: SOL and added all sorts of little nice touches, which is to be expected in a sequel that's come out on the same console as it's predecessor. Personally, I'm so glad I own both a PS2 and Gamecube, becaue a remake of the MGS is coming out on Gamecube.

One thing I don't understand is the logo- it's got a map of Russia on it. That doesn't make much sense, if it's set in the jungle. There are no jungles in Russia. Unless, of course, it's another trick like the tanker segment in MGS2: SOL.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Raiden. I liked his youth/agility and the way he contrasted with old grizzled Snake. Though they might be saving him for MGS4, which I can only assume will come out on PS3 or whatever they want to call it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I fully expected MGS3 to be in America still given MGS2's ending, but then maybe we're missing something given the ending of MGS2.

It's WAY too early to start thinking about MGS3 really, we know nothing about it other than Russia and a jungle may have something to do with it, I doubt it'll revisit Zanzibar and Outer Heaven again like in Metal Gear. Perhaps Gurlukovich has some other friends out there still wanting in on the RAY programme.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I fully expected MGS3 to be in America still given MGS2's ending, but then maybe we're missing something given the ending of MGS2.

It's WAY too early to start thinking about MGS3 really, we know nothing about it other than Russia and a jungle may have something to do with it, I doubt it'll revisit Zanzibar and Outer Heaven again like in Metal Gear. Perhaps Gurlukovich has some other friends out there still wanting in on the RAY programme.
One question: where did Snake follow Liquid/Ocelot (does it piss anyone else off that they brought back Liquid in such a manner? Wouldn't it just have been cooler to have him return normally?) when he ran off with Metal Gear Ray? That's the most likely explanation, IMO.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I fully expected MGS3 to be in America still given MGS2's ending, but then maybe we're missing something given the ending of MGS2.

One question: where did Snake follow Liquid/Ocelot (does it piss anyone else off that they brought back Liquid in such a manner? Wouldn't it just have been cooler to have him return normally?) when he ran off with Metal Gear Ray? That's the most likely explanation, IMO.
He didn't go anywhere. He dived after the prototype RAY to attach a GPS homing device so that he at least knows where Liquid is going. You see Solid again after Arsenal has crashed and Raiden kills Solidus. Then he disappears.

I doubt Raiden will be in it again, Kojima-san said that Raiden wasn't taken to too well and he was only in that game to show Snake from another person's perspective.

I did find it annoying how Liquid was brought back in like that, the guy is worse than Jason out of the Friday 13th films for staying dead, but Liquid was always my favourite bad guy in the first game after Ocelot.

Thing is, the Patriots can't be the Americans Solidus thought they were as Otacon did a check and found they were all dead... 200 years ago!

Then there is the fact that the AI that spoke with Raiden as the Colonel (was the Col. Campbell always an AI after MGS? You only see him in the flesh at the beginning on the USS Discovery) is still active and apparently part of the White House.

Needless to say, this game has the most involving plot I can think of and I'm glad my bro has GC so I can play the remake to MGS as well.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vympel wrote:
Thank you...I too am most ticked off at the bald copout that Kojima did.

Yeah because of the arm(WTF is the man smoking?!!!!!)

Still with MGS3 it may all be some smokescreen to which we'll get a demo within some low end Konami game(or to boost another). And then we can start wondering about the daliesque world Snake will venture forth this time.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Ghost Rider wrote:
Vympel wrote:
Thank you...I too am most ticked off at the bald copout that Kojima did.

Yeah because of the arm(WTF is the man smoking?!!!!!)

Still with MGS3 it may all be some smokescreen to which we'll get a demo within some low end Konami game(or to boost another). And then we can start wondering about the daliesque world Snake will venture forth this time.
Liquid also said he was after the Patriots Wisemen Committee too, yet they don't exist unless he knows something we don't.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
He didn't go anywhere .... *snip
Dude- of COURSE I've finished the game. I was talking about after he placed the tracker device.
I doubt Raiden will be in it again, Kojima-san said that Raiden wasn't taken to too well and he was only in that game to show Snake from another person's perspective.
Sounds like a bullshit reason to have him in the game to me- I hear backpedalling from Kojima-san :) MGS2 was all about Raiden, it had nothing to do with Snake, basically. That said, I liked the character, even though he was a bit of a pretty boy.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Your guess is as good as mine about where Snake goes after that, I think that's the point of MGS3. ;)