Several months later....no patch for MOO3...

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Several months later....no patch for MOO3...

Post by MKSheppard »

Man, that game was fucked up beyond all belief. I don't think they're
actually going to patch and fix it.

This is the Outpost of the 21st century...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Hotfoot

Re: Several months later....no patch for MOO3...

Post by Hotfoot »

MKSheppard wrote:Man, that game was fucked up beyond all belief. I don't think they're
actually going to patch and fix it.

There was a data patch released a while ago. The code patch is supposed to be on the verge of release. I'd say give it another week or two, a month more at most, before declaring it utterly hopeless.

All I know is that MoO3 only makes me want Space Empires 5 more (and Space Empires: Starfury while I wait).
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Hotfoot wrote: All I know is that MoO3 only makes me want Space Empires 5 more (and Space Empires: Starfury while I wait).
Starfury? Whatzat?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

MKSheppard wrote:
Hotfoot wrote: All I know is that MoO3 only makes me want Space Empires 5 more (and Space Empires: Starfury while I wait).
Starfury? Whatzat?
Think Freelancer set in the Space Empires universe, only instead of jaw-dropping graphics, you have interesting and challenging gameplay. It's due out sometime this summer, according to my latest intel.

Here is the game's website. The graphics are nothing to go into hysterics over, but they're a damned sight better than MoO3, IMO, and they are servicable for what they need to do.

The game is really a proof of concept test for the new combat engine Arron Hall is designing for Space Empires 5. Now if he could just get a better diplomacy and intelligence model... ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

MOO sucked much ass. I downloaded a trial version and was AGHAST at the gameplay and utter ridiculous interface. How many fucking tabs do I have to click to so I can launch a ship??

Now I needed a fix bad, I was jonesing for some kind of space exploration conquering game after setting my hopes on MOO. Then Faram suggested Galactic Civilizations. I bought it on Friday. Its GREAT. The graphics won't blow you away but its alot like Civilization set in space very well done.

I suggest flushing that turd that passes for a game and getting this one.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Stravo wrote:MOO sucked much ass. I downloaded a trial version and was AGHAST at the gameplay and utter ridiculous interface. How many fucking tabs do I have to click to so I can launch a ship??
I must have missed the demo, I was going on screenshots alone. Got a link?
Now I needed a fix bad, I was jonesing for some kind of space exploration conquering game after setting my hopes on MOO. Then Faram suggested Galactic Civilizations. I bought it on Friday. Its GREAT. The graphics won't blow you away but its alot like Civilization set in space very well done.
I've heard some good things about that one, and I should get around to playing a demo soon, I hope. Personally, I have a deep love for Space Empires IV. Sure, it's kind of old, uses sprite graphics, and is somewhat lacking in intelligence and diplomacy, but it's still damn fun. You can really get a good feeling for fairly epic battles and civilizations.

My only major gripe is that SE4 has an upper limit on how many ships can really be in combat, thanks to the grid that is used. SE5 won't have that limit, perhaps, but it will be limited by performance, since all the ships will be in full 3D. :(

Is it too really much to ask for fleet battles between thousands of ships?
The Realm of Confusion
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Hotfoot wrote:
Stravo wrote:MOO sucked much ass. I downloaded a trial version and was AGHAST at the gameplay and utter ridiculous interface. How many fucking tabs do I have to click to so I can launch a ship??
I must have missed the demo, I was going on screenshots alone. Got a link?

I downloaded the demo from Kazaa...it was a pretty hefty download but you can essentially play a full game and it was GODAWFUL. Tabs...thats all I can remember from this game...many many tanbs to click.
I've heard some good things about that one, and I should get around to playing a demo soon, I hope. Personally, I have a deep love for Space Empires IV. Sure, it's kind of old, uses sprite graphics, and is somewhat lacking in intelligence and diplomacy, but it's still damn fun. You can really get a good feeling for fairly epic battles and civilizations.

My only major gripe is that SE4 has an upper limit on how many ships can really be in combat, thanks to the grid that is used. SE5 won't have that limit, perhaps, but it will be limited by performance, since all the ships will be in full 3D. :(

Is it too really much to ask for fleet battles between thousands of ships?
Galactic Civilizations is very cool, you can have battles but not with thousands of ships. There is a pretty decent diplomacy screen that gives you alot of options to choose from such as demanding/giving tribute, exchanging tech, pacts and alliances, trading stars systems and even ships.

The graphics are decent 2-D and nothing fancy at all but the GAMEPLAY that's where its at. There so many ways to win. Militarily, culture, score. The tech tree makes sense and is not ridiculous and you have the OPTION Of automating your colonies unlike MOO where the default seems to be automation.

I heartily recommend it to those disatisfied with MOO (And who really wasn't?)

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Stravo wrote:I downloaded the demo from Kazaa...it was a pretty hefty download but you can essentially play a full game and it was GODAWFUL. Tabs...thats all I can remember from this game...many many tanbs to click.
Err..."demo"...right.
Galactic Civilizations is very cool, you can have battles but not with thousands of ships. There is a pretty decent diplomacy screen that gives you alot of options to choose from such as demanding/giving tribute, exchanging tech, pacts and alliances, trading stars systems and even ships.

The graphics are decent 2-D and nothing fancy at all but the GAMEPLAY that's where its at. There so many ways to win. Militarily, culture, score. The tech tree makes sense and is not ridiculous and you have the OPTION Of automating your colonies unlike MOO where the default seems to be automation.

I heartily recommend it to those disatisfied with MOO (And who really wasn't?)
Sounds good. Of course, I just found a new shipset for SEIV, so now I gotta play with it a bit. ;)
The Realm of Confusion
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I say demo because at the end when you exit out it says "Now that you've tried the game you can purchase the full verison at...blah blah."

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

MKSheppard wrote:
What was wrong with Outpost? I LOVED the Game, and in fact just played it again about two months ago, before I lost the CD again. :(

The only problem was the begining and trying to manage more then one colony at once, which wasn't necesary.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Stravo wrote:Then Faram suggested Galactic Civilizations. I bought it on Friday. Its GREAT. The graphics won't blow you away but its alot like Civilization set in space very well done.
Glad you like it.

I am getting my ass handed to me at the higher level and the economics reminds me of real life IE Always Broke ;)
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Ravencrow
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravencrow »

This makes me so glad I did not get MOO3.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Ravencrow wrote:This makes me so glad I did not get MOO3.
Shucking out 50 bux for a game in that state is a waste. And then you have to wait MONTHS for a decent patch.

Shit like this with the game industry is gonna make me stop buying games and just play my old ones. Like XCOM...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
tleng
Redshirt

Post by tleng »

Strange, I like Moo3 multiplayer. The single player AI is so brain-dead that it's not worth it. The code patch should be coming out this month and it will hopefully fix a lot of problems. The game itself is one of the most stable I have played. I like playing 4-6 people MP games of moo3 which last 6 hours+! Start playing at 7PM and and finish at 2AM only to continue the next day. Damn it was fun when my uber designed hardbeam/railgun dreadnoughts of doom "cleansed" one of the player's homeworlds and he conceded. I have heard good things about Galactic Civilizations, but the fact that it has no MP so far, and no ship designs made me not want to play it. In fact, it is supposed to be CIV in space, and if you like that then it's your game (I hated CivIII BTW).
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I downloaded the demo from Kazaa...it was a pretty hefty download but you can essentially play a full game and it was GODAWFUL. Tabs...thats all I can remember from this game...many many tanbs to click.
Dude, the only demo is an alpha version that was leaked over a year before the game was even finished. I don't even think the end turn button on the alpha version worked.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

tleng wrote:Strange, I like Moo3 multiplayer. The single player AI is so brain-dead that it's not worth it. The code patch should be coming out this month and it will hopefully fix a lot of problems. The game itself is one of the most stable I have played. I like playing 4-6 people MP games of moo3 which last 6 hours+! Start playing at 7PM and and finish at 2AM only to continue the next day. Damn it was fun when my uber designed hardbeam/railgun dreadnoughts of doom "cleansed" one of the player's homeworlds and he conceded. I have heard good things about Galactic Civilizations, but the fact that it has no MP so far, and no ship designs made me not want to play it. In fact, it is supposed to be CIV in space, and if you like that then it's your game (I hated CivIII BTW).
Don't judge the Civilization series based on CivIII. CivIII was to the Civilization series what MOO3 was to Master of Orion.

Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but they broke a lot more things than they fixed.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Anybody remeber Imperium Galactica 2?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Anybody remeber Imperium Galactica 2?
I LIKED that game but always had trouble following through an entire game. I should really try to give it another chance.

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Specially when you managed to get cruisers that could waste enemy battleships *L*
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Anybody remeber Imperium Galactica 2?
That was a fun game...Hegemony not too bad, but a little too story orientated.

But awaiting IG3.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete