Half Life 2?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Half Life 2?

Post by Companion Cube »

This image has cropped up on the Unreal 2 and Galaxy Andromeda forums, in connection with rumours that Half Life 2 will be released soon.

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~view/images/crowbar.jpg

Big pic, so i'll URL it.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

There are always rumours...

Half Life 2 is in development. About all I can add is that I recall EBgames has a release date of Q3 this year.

Half Life was an incredible game, but it benefitted more from the creation of Counterstrike than it did on its own merits. Frankly, I think that the scripted-sequence FPS needs to be dashed against the rocks, because CO-OP multiplayer needs to be explored more thoroughly.

And while I'm at it, why can't Volition make a good FPS? WHY?? They have arguably the best idea in the industry - GEO-MOD tech - and the best they can do with it is RED FACTION?????????

I want an FPS that has the environment of Freedom Force, the weapons of Command and Conquer: Renegade (anyone who says any FPS has better weapons than C&C:R is a loon), and the graphics and plotting of Undying or, possibly, DOOM (3).
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Lagmonster wrote: Half Life was an incredible game, but it benefitted more from the creation of Counterstrike than it did on its own merits. Frankly, I think that the scripted-sequence FPS needs to be dashed against the rocks, because CO-OP multiplayer needs to be explored more thoroughly.

Co-op multiplayer is cool, but saying that we should get rid of singleplayer games of the caliber of Half-life is damn stupid.
And while I'm at it, why can't Volition make a good FPS? WHY?? They have arguably the best idea in the industry - GEO-MOD tech - and the best they can do with it is RED FACTION?????????
The Geo-mod engine is just begging for a Starship Troopers game to be made isn't it...
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

weemadando wrote:Co-op multiplayer is cool, but saying that we should get rid of singleplayer games of the caliber of Half-life is damn stupid.
Well...not abolished, then. Still, I think Co-Op is the way to go. A LONG (none of these I-can-beat-it-in-6-hours games), detailed, story-driven game is what you need. Where you can choose to have a squad of mostly AI characters but you can sub in human players at will. Now that would get my attention.
The Geo-mod engine is just begging for a Starship Troopers game to be made isn't it...
Every bit of that. Although even better, there was a team making a Starship Troopers conversion for SERIOUS SAM...and then the website went away...or something...But with the sheer volume of enemies that game could throw on screen without lag, THAT was the platform that was begging for a Starship Troopers game.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Re: Half Life 2?

Post by Temjin »

3rd Impact wrote:This image has cropped up on the Unreal 2 and Galaxy Andromeda forums, in connection with rumours that Half Life 2 will be released soon.

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~view/images/crowbar.jpg

Big pic, so i'll URL it.
Well, since I can't see the pic (I'm on a school computer), I'll just go by what you said.

There have been constant rumours about the Half-Life 2 release date for years now. First it was 1999, then 2000, 2001, 2002 and now 2003.

I'll believe it when I have it in my grubby hands.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Temjin wrote:
Thats probably the best policy. 8)
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

3rd Impact wrote:
Temjin wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it running on my computer...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Beowulf wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
Temjin wrote:
And the final award for best policy goes to...Beowulf

*Applause*

:)
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

*bows* Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Beowulf wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
Temjin wrote:
I'll believe it when i see it running on my computer AND it isn't buggy or slow!
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

Isn't Star Wars Galaxies supposed to be first-person based? If it used the FP engine of Jedi Outcast (or indeed, any of the other games that use the same sort of engine) it would be great, with of course, a few improvements.
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Maybe TF2 will come after HL2 comes out. I've been waiting for TF2 for too damn long.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Beowulf wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
Temjin wrote:
But if you don't belive it until it's on your computer you'll nevere buy it in the first place. 8)
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Pcm979 wrote:But if you don't belive it until it's on your computer you'll nevere buy it in the first place. 8)
Hence why my policy would be the best one. If you see it in the store, of course you going to pick it up with your hands. And your hands may even be grubby when you pick it up.....
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.