The Journeyman Project Trilogy

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

The Journeyman Project Trilogy

Post by FaxModem1 »

Anyone play these games? I loved Arthur in 2 and 3, and the cut scenes are so well done. Its like watching a scifi movie.

What did ya'll think of it?
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

The original Journeyman Project had ways of screwing you over that were game-stopping events without telling you (killing Hermes without picking up its retina biochip (by grabbing the video biochip first, which triggers Hermes' self-destruct) comes to mind; you can't go back to pick it up, and it's essential to beating Poseidon later on). Apart from that issue, it was a very good game for its time. Did anyone ever play "Pegasus Prime," the remake of this? I never found a copy of it anywhere, despite the hype.

I really liked Buried in Time; it was the perfect sci-fi Myst type game, and the puzzles and "extras" were fun (like talking to Arthur or going through the commercials -- the OmniGlot GM one and the Cheese Girl one were especially funny). The Research Bonus annoyed me, however, as it necessitated following every link in the INN database (there were dozens) to get a full score there. The removal of the mission time limit also was a good change.

I didn't like Legacy of Time, however. The puzzles were banal, the conversations (interaction with natives actually being a nice idea for an addition) were bland (except for Arthur), and the interface was oversimplified, eliminating numerous features from the previous two games. The biochip system was completely removed; the ability to upgrade your suit to some degree was a nice part of the first two games. The humorous deaths are gone as well -- remember getting a cow dropped on you or becoming an Mayan "god" in Buried in Time?

Unfortunately, none of the games work under Windows 2000 except for Legacy of Time (which has popping sound unless I screw with the driver settings and disable DirectSound).

Presto Studios also produced Gundam 0079: The War for Earth. Apparently, that's become quite the collector's item, even though it didn't sell well at all when first released (coming out before anyone in the U.S. had even heard of Gundam).
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i had to catch my breath after laughing at the mention of the journyman project. I had that when i first got my packard bell computer, and i became obsessed with beating it because diffusing the bomb felt near impossible. That game was silly..... i want it back :(
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

I think my avatar says it all.

I enjoyed the first and second games (never played Pegasus Prime. What made it better?) but the third left me wanting a lot more. The puzzles were ho-hum, Arthur was actually not funny, and the plot seemed SO contrived.
150th post made June 9, 2003
Debater classification: Lurker
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

DarthBlight wrote:I enjoyed the first and second games (never played Pegasus Prime. What made it better?) but the third left me wanting a lot more. The puzzles were ho-hum, Arthur was actually not funny, and the plot seemed SO contrived.
Pegasus Prime was essentially the Journeyman Project running on a new engine with new artwork and scene renders -- areas were expanded (such as being able to take a submarine from NORAD), there was more interaction with the environment, and everything looks nicer (such as animating movement to the next area "segment" instead of the "slideshow effect" like in the original). The downside was that it was only for the Macintosh and one of the consoles (the Saturn?), and had a very limited release, kind of like the BiT and LoT DVD-ROMs. Presto Studios had a trailer for it before they shut down their site, but it was low resolution; they referred you to the Apple Quicktime Sampler CD for a decent version.