Europa Universalis II

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:Now THIS is bizarre...I crushed the Mamelukes, took over all of their provinces, annexed their partner Tunisia, and have a 100% rating against them. But annexation is not an option.

Hmm...
You can't annex a nation that has more than a certain number of provinces. Just demand the entire levantine coast through Sinai and pay them another visit in five years :twisted:

But what'll really blow your mind is when they still sometimes refuse peace, despite their government being in your tender mercies and every province in your control.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I know! That happened three times, up until I annexed Tunisia.

Now they're reduced to just Egpyt. I have the levantine coast and 70% of North Africa, including the revenue-crazy Delta. What was really funny was that during the war Tunisia was demanding more and more money in exchange for peace, right up until I crushed them.

The Papal States have lost several of their Balkan holdings to Venice(which also holds Gibraltar, for some bizarre reason). Perhaps it's time to pay a little visit to Hellas.

Incidentally, when I annexed Ragusa, they offered me two provinces- J-somthing and P-something. I can't find them anywhere...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:The Papal States have lost several of their Balkan holdings to Venice(which also holds Gibraltar, for some bizarre reason). Perhaps it's time to pay a little visit to Hellas.
Venice has a tendency to play snatch-and-run with every province they can lay hands on. In one game I played as Muscowy, they ended up with some absolutely crazy gains. They took that one province at the northern edge of Scandinavia (how? WHY?), and Mekhah. MEKHAH!! How crazy is that?
Incidentally, when I annexed Ragusa, they offered me two provinces- J-somthing and P-something. I can't find them anywhere...
Probably some amazingly distant overseas colony. The mediterranean powers sometimes randomly achieve in crazy places. It used to be that you couldn't annex them until you held even the piddlingest level one colony, but they fixed that in the latest update. I once played an amazingly frustrating game in which I was trying to unify Italy as Venice, but the Milanese somehow managed to establish a level one colony in, of all places, Oceania. I don't even know how they got the maps to colonize it, but they did it somehow.
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Venice has a tendency to play snatch-and-run with every province they can lay hands on. In one game I played as Muscowy, they ended up with some absolutely crazy gains. They took that one province at the northern edge of Scandinavia (how? WHY?), and Mekhah. MEKHAH!! How crazy is that?
What's even more crazy is that Wallachia managed to snag three provinces from the Golden Horde.
Probably some amazingly distant overseas colony. The mediterranean powers sometimes randomly achieve in crazy places. It used to be that you couldn't annex them until you held even the piddlingest level one colony, but they fixed that in the latest update. I once played an amazingly frustrating game in which I was trying to unify Italy as Venice, but the Milanese somehow managed to establish a level one colony in, of all places, Oceania. I don't even know how they got the maps to colonize it, but they did it somehow.
0_o

Speaking of updates, I dled the newest patch for the Strategy First version but it says EUII is not installed on my system. :?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

w00t! Annexed the rest of the Mamelukes, Wallachia, Serbia, and Candor. My rep is 'worse than dishonorable scum', but I'll live. I'm going after Hungary and Poland next, so I'm fortifying my European provinces and gearing up for a long bloody war. I might go after the Papal States in Hellas and Morea if they weren't such damn useless provinces.

Incidentally, Italy is now officially bizarre. England and DENMARK both hold territory in it, and Genoa nabbed part of the Crimea.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:w00t! Annexed the rest of the Mamelukes, Wallachia, Serbia, and Candor. My rep is 'worse than dishonorable scum', but I'll live. I'm going after Hungary and Poland next, so I'm fortifying my European provinces and gearing up for a long bloody war. I might go after the Papal States in Hellas and Morea if they weren't such damn useless provinces.
Well, if you own the Greek territories for long enough they have the possibility to become lucrative.

Also, may I suggest that you try and kill Austria and Hungary. If you let Austria survive for long enough, they'll become quite troublesome. Poland, on the other hand, is designed to decline.
Incidentally, Italy is now officially bizarre. England and DENMARK both hold territory in it, and Genoa nabbed part of the Crimea.
The part about Genoa isn't too far off. I think they have claims to Kaffa and Kerch, and they actually did own it for a stretch.

As for England and Denmark--they're both Naval nations, and those sons-of-bitches have a tendency to spread out like that.
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm playing through as Spain, and it's 1500. I chose to be called Spain, and to marry Aragon, and to make a clean sweep for the Glory of God. Two questions.

1) Can you peacefully annex Aragon?

2) When do you get explorers other than CC? Portugal has been expanding like a madman into Asia and Africa and I need to compete. I'm only getting a few dozen gold a year, too.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

HemlockGrey wrote:1) Can you peacefully annex Aragon?
Been a while since I played Spain, but I think its an event around 1526.
2) When do you get explorers other than CC? Portugal has been expanding like a madman into Asia and Africa and I need to compete. I'm only getting a few dozen gold a year, too.
I can't remember, sorry :P
--The Lord Humungus
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

I got the game for $18, but I can't play it as my comp is trashed.

Can someone describe how to play as England?
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Can someone describe how to play as England?
I made peace with the Scots and funneled my energies into securing the Normandy coast and the Aquitane.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

...it's 1546, and no unification. Bizarre.

Oh, how do you shake off Austria's automatic vassalization of you? Can you?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Just got the game, much different than HoI
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Hehe, if you want to conquer the Mameluks as the Ottomans, all you have to do is take Alexandria and you inheret the entire country through an event. :D

From screenshots of HoI, the map looks much more lively than the drab color and angular shape of HoI colors but I heard it's far easier to learn.

In my Chinese game, I now control nearly all of Indochina. From Bangkok to Champa, plus Hanoi, is the remainder of free Indochina: Bangkok (1 province), Cambodia (2), Champa (1), Dia Vet (2, conquered Champa territory). I sacked Orissa's capital and gained maps for India, minus half of Ceylon, and have started colonization. My next route of conqest will probably be southern, non Hindi provinces after my colonies are cities. Indonesia has thrived, minus a stupid territory I conquered from Bali with Hinduism, which gives it a horrible RR percentage. I have 3 Fine Art Manufactories and am building a Refinery in Jakarta for the sugar bonus. As my Indian colonies grow, I will still concentrate on my objective to unite all of Indochina under my rule, though, starting with taking Dai Vet's and Cambodia's second province away and then annexing everyone. This will occur as soon as the newly subjected people of Tangu, Malacca, Bangkok (their other territories), and Vietnanswnoog (no idea how to spell it) calm down with their nationalism. I need to eradicate a religion from my empire due to the ugly juggling I have to do with my religious sliders and the prime candidate is Muslim if I am ever to hold territories in India. It's the late 1530s and I'm going to have to deal with the Closure of China event soon enough.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

GAH! I MUST HAVE MY UNIFICATION! GRRG!
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Actually, it should be their capital, not Alexandria.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

And I prolly need to work on my economy...I'm barely making 100 gold a year, and because of the New World gold, inflation is at like 40%
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Haha, ouch. The Middle East has some crap economy provinces, try the Greek islands. Crete has Sugar. You probably should make your way up to Venice if possible, or just go the other way into Persia and Arabia for Isfahan and Mascate.

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

...as Spain?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Actually, the Ottomans get a very long lived conquistador (I think 100 years?) sometime in the 1500s and it's entirely possible to conquer the Incas with him (and probably stealing Portuguese maps).

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Cool.

But when is the damn unification event? I must bring the rich Aragonese islands under my control!
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I don't think you're going to like this...what year is it?

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

1530's or 40's.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

You've missed it, then. :( It can only happen in 1516 and if Aragon is your vassal. Something to do with King Carlos I. You can still diploannex them, though, but it'll take some money. Hope you have good relations already. It'll be exactly the same, anyway, since you wouldn't get Italian culture through the event.

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Gehwah? Aragon became my vassal before 1516. Around then I was vassalized by Austria, and King Carlos decided to 'rule the empire from vienna' or something.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Let me look through the event file...

EDIT: No clue as of right now...I'll try to figure it out later. Still, try to diploannex them.