What old games still on your hard drive?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Just an idea: maybe we could change the thread title to Official Old Games Thread; the place where we could share info about old games, how to run them on today's machine and O/S, exchange old games (I don't think exchanging abandonwares is against the law), exchange old game manuals, and such things.
Jedi Council Member

Speaking about old games, there's a nice site where we can see reviews about them: http://www.the-underdogs.org. It's nonprofit, IIRC.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I still have the Original Tie Fighter and X-Wing games. They are the 1st games i install on any Machine i own.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

MoO1 - You all probably already knew about that
Adom - don't have much time to play it lately
some Angbands - ditto
Master of Magic - Have it but I suck
Civilization II - Better than III, in my opinion

I used to have a bit more but I forgot to back them up before reinstalling windows.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Lord Poe wrote:Stunt Island. I don't even play it anymore, but I refuse to take it off my harddrive. I made a lot of great little movies with it, and there's still a large community that plays it and mods it. You can't say that about any other computer game that came out in 1992!
YOU HAVE IT!?!?!?

I've been searching for that game for two years!

Please, please, please...

I must find a way to obtain a copy!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I wish I had Civilization: Call To Power. :(
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I had TIE Fighter SVGA (CD-ROM) and TIE Fighter Windows 95, but neither will run under Windows XP :(

TIE Fighter VGA will and it's damn fun, but the graphics are kinda sucky.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Star Trek Visual(DEATH TO THE KLINGON SCUM!)
SimIsle(Industrializatin, Deforestation, and Exploitation of the Natives!)
Scorched Earth
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Wolfpack
Warcraft 1 & 2
Flight Unlimited
Doom 1 & 2
Hexxagon
Scorched Earth
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I still have a copy of Wolfenstien 3D on a floppy somewhere, as well as SimCity 2000. I hope those disks still work after sitting around for like 7 years.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

aerius wrote:I still have a copy of Wolfenstien 3D on a floppy somewhere, as well as SimCity 2000. I hope those disks still work after sitting around for like 7 years.
My copy of Wolfenstien: Spear of Destiny still is.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:I still have a copy of Wolfenstien 3D on a floppy somewhere, as well as SimCity 2000. I hope those disks still work after sitting around for like 7 years.
I have Mac 68K versions of SC2K laying around somewhere...very fun, especially with the FUND bond cheat :D
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Some old games (that don't use protected memory) run under DOSBox (an opensource DOS emulator). A lot of games that give you memory errors do when you choose sound (try disabling it in MOM and it will work), and they can work under VDMS (a sound hardware emulator for NT and XP).

I have a lot of old games. I get most of them from http://www.the-underdogs.org
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

My old games

X-wing Alliance
Jane's Fighters Anthology
Toon Struck
Grim Fandango
American McGee's Alice
and
The 7th Guest.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Hm, as far as old games go right now I have :-
Colonization
X-Com : Terror from the Deep
UFO : Enemy Unknown

I've loads more like all the old Eye of the Beholder ones....but they are safely stored away in zip files for now.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Hmm

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
I would have Balance of Power but it won't install for some damn reason.
X-Wing Alliance
Counter-Strike
Quake III
Quake
Battlefield 1942
Need for Speed III
Galactic Battlegrounds
Clone Campaigns
Jedi Knight II Outcast

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

DOOM, CASTLEVANIA

Ahhhh.... Nostalgia
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

weemadando wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:Stunt Island. I don't even play it anymore, but I refuse to take it off my harddrive. I made a lot of great little movies with it, and there's still a large community that plays it and mods it. You can't say that about any other computer game that came out in 1992!
YOU HAVE IT!?!?!?

Try eBay. Its being sold all over the web.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

If you want good abandonware, tuol.org (the ultimate old games links) is a good place to go.

That's where I was able to find some of the old classics from the 80's....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

I want microsoft space simulator back...
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Rogue/Nethack & Ascii Trek with basic emulator

Dos emulating upgrades of Nethack
X-Com Enemy Unknown & Terror from the Deep
Elderscrolls: Arena & Daggerfalls
Temunjin
TIE fighter Defender of Empire
Evil twisted Monopoly (you can bribe hitmen to rob or rub other players or burn down their properties. You can also deal drugs to make up money if you want too)
Planets VGA
Scorched Earth.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I still got Commander Keen in Keen Dreams.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Jedi Council Member

weemadando wrote:
YOU HAVE IT!?!?!?

Hmmm... here's a thought. Here I assume that exchanging and copying abandonwares is *not* against the law, so why don't why exchange old games with each other?

Small games may be exchanged through email. As for large games, I don't see the reason why can't we send each other physically (of course, it requires extra effort).

For example, weemadando is really desperate for Stunt Island. On the other hand, I have the game he wants (I actually have a copy. Seriously.). So he can give me his snail mail address, then I make a copy to CD and ship it there. Then he should in turn send me the funds to cover my expenses (a blank CD is no more than 2 US Dollars. Don't know about the shipping cost, though). Or alternatively, he can make a copy of the game I want and ship it to my snail mail address.

Of course, there's no guarantee that each party will cover each other expenses, or give the game he wants in turn. So it really depends on our honesty and trust to each other.

But on the other hand, what kind of idiot will bother frauding his friends for such a small amount of money? For example, let say weemadando has sent me all the funds to cover my expenses (blank CD and shipping cost), but I decide to pocket the money and not sending him the game. What a ludicrously small profit I would made by doing such fraud. It would be much better for me to maintain his trust, because who knows in the future he may have the game I need?

I don't know though. It was just an idea.

[disclaimer] this is assuming that exchanging abandonwares is legal. Of course, I won't encourage such things where it is illegal.[/disclaimer]
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

On my old Amiga i still play Leisure Suit Larry. :P
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I have Detroit - the one where you administer your own car manufacturing corporation. Anybody remember that game??

I'm currently in that game operating a car company called "Innsmouth Cars", based in North East USA - and all their cars are named after fish or whales...... (bonus point for guessing where I got the inspiration)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"