Best Half-Life Mod?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Best Half-Life Mod?

Post by Crayz9000 »

I'll just list a few of my single-player favorites.

They Hunger, by Neil Manke
In the theme of every zombie flick out there, but has its own plot rather than just rehashing some movie plot. Superb graphics and execution; no bugs that I could find.

U.S.S. Darkstar, also by Neil Manke
Like They Hunger, another superbly conceived and executed mod. It starts off in a similar vein to the original Half-Life, but with a lot of twists thrown in along the way. Again, the graphics and execution are superb, and I think I only ran into one bug during the entire mod.

Heart of Evil
Another zombie-based mod, this time placing you in the shoes of an American spec ops captain in Vietnam. The plot, although ultimately predictable, throws a lot of twists along the way--and takes as long to play as, if not longer, than the original Half-Life did. The graphics are superb, and although the execution is also good, some of the puzzles are insanely frustrating. It's easy to miss a clue that's sitting under your nose. (Hint: don't kill the chumtoad when you're in the underground file complex.)

Todesangst
A direct (unofficial) sequel to the original Half-Life, it's a good mod (its sequel is much better). The graphics are mostly from the original HL, with some new ones thrown in (it's hard to tell which ones are new, actually) and the execution is also good.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Is this single-player only? Because otherwise, CounterStrike would have to come somewhere near the top of the 'best mods' list... :)
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Whatever. Yeah, CounterStrike would have to rank #1 in multiplayer; otherwise, why would it be the most insanely popular mod for Half-Life? ;)
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I second all of Crayz nominations, I loved the single player half-life mods. Brilliance to the highest order.

It was unfortunate that the vast majority of multiplayer mods were just plain uncreative and uninspired and above all insipid.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

I fucking hate CS. Firearms and DoD are the best mods in my opinion. I also enjoy TFC. Cant wait till TF2!
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I disliked counterstrike. In many ways.

Good old HalfLife deathmatch is the king of the hill, really - give me a room-clearing gauss rifle/pogo stick or a loaded MP3 any day, and classic maps all 'round.

Although I agree about the single-player mods. They Hunger was a phenominal success in terms of layout, design, and modding skills, and a tribute to Manke's abilities.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SolidSnake wrote:Cant wait till TF2!
AHahahahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahaha!

Bwahhahahahahaha!

Ooooh heeee heeee heeee.

Thats rich. Next thing you'll be telling me you can't wait for Duke Nuken Whenever.

And yes, CS does blow goats.

Also. Why are there NO FUCKING SINGLEPLAYER MODS out there nowadays?
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

weemadando wrote:Also. Why are there NO FUCKING SINGLEPLAYER MODS out there nowadays?
There ARE, just not for Half Life. I play with heavily-mutatored Unreal Tournbment, because bots are hilarious fun to kill, regardless of their ineptness or - on the other end of the scale - complete targeting perfection and lethality (all anti-bot players know there is no in-between).
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
DeadM
Padawan Learner

Post by DeadM »

Dont forget Natural Selection!
I love being a marine with Jet Pack and a Heavy Machine Gun
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

No, I mean why don't we have fan-made campaigns for SoF2, or JK2.

Where is the "They Hunger" of SoF2? Nowhere. Its all shitty fucking MP tweaks.

And JK2, every mod is either a double-bladed saber or a darth maul model. The single fucking TC of it was a simple weapon exchange that totally blows.

Where is the "USS Darkstar" of JK2?

I know that Half-life was user-friendly and all, but damn. Where the hell are the great singleplayer mods.

And no. Mods that work in singleplayer UT don't fucking count.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

weemadando wrote:Where is the "They Hunger" of SoF2? Nowhere. Its all shitty fucking MP tweaks...Where is the "USS Darkstar" of JK2?...Where the hell are the great singleplayer mods.

The question you are looking for is, "Where are the people who have the time, patience and ability to construct singleplayer mods in the FAR more advanced game engines of today".

Hell, even I made a Duke Nukem 3D single-player map series. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Personally, I'm hoping for really cool single player conversions and mods for SERIOUS SAM. At one time, there was a 'Starship Troopers' single-player TC/MOD for SERIOUS SAM, and frankly, I hope they finish. That was a game where thousands of scary dudes were flinging themselves at you and it was FUN and CO-OP MODE LIVED SUPREME!! LONG LIVE CO-OP MODE! DEATH TO SCRIPTED SEQUENCES!!!
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, anyway, I have tried (taking the lead from Shep) to get a ST/SW mod started for JK2. Aside from some concepts, I haven't accomplished anything because college and whatever I have left of a social life take up all my time.

At any rate, there are a number of single-player full mods for Unreal Tournament. A lot of them use the OldSkool mod, which restores the single-player functionality of the original Unreal to UT. I've just been playing a mod called "Operation Na Pali" that, aside from a few minor glitches, is a hell of a lot better than that commercial thing called "Return to Na Pali".

I'd have to say that the Unreal engine is probably the easiest engine to work with next to Half-Life, given that Epic wasn't half as freaking paranoid as Raven Software.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'd say Day of Defeat, with Firearms as a close second, though I've haven't played either in some time.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Day of Defeat. Good graphics, good gamplay and a hell of lot of fun. We've got a group of rabid players here so there's always going over the school's network.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

DOD has me HOOKED now for the last two months. I play nearly every night for at least an hour huntiung down nazis and getting my ass kicked by 14 year olds hyped up on caffeine and sugar. I swear, have reflexes gotten better among the young or am I just getting older? (maybe you guys shouldn't answer that)
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stravo wrote:I swear, have reflexes gotten better among the young or am I just getting older? (maybe you guys shouldn't answer that)
You've just given me a wonderful idea for a thread.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Stravo wrote:DOD has me HOOKED now for the last two months. I play nearly every night for at least an hour huntiung down nazis and getting my ass kicked by 14 year olds hyped up on caffeine and sugar. I swear, have reflexes gotten better among the young or am I just getting older? (maybe you guys shouldn't answer that)
I don't know. When I play I'm usually wired to the gills on Mountain Dew so the slightest twitch and I open fire.