Because they think we'll start doing I don't know what...

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Because they think we'll start doing I don't know what...

Post by Ghost Rider »

Lieberman having fun again

Seriously it astounds me how much some people want to coddle their children.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Its just more of the standard "It can't be my fault as a parent that my kids turned out to be assholes so the government should find a scapegoat for my failure" line of bullshit.
BotM
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The bottom line is, a video game isn't going to turn a kid with a healthy mind into a serial killer.
:D
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I really hate Lieberman.

By his reasoning I should be a serial killer by now.

After all I liked violent warner brother's cartoons.

I love Risk why haven't I joined the Hitler youth by now.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I played video games hrowing up and my avarage day yields very few fatalities.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I want to get all the people who think video games cause depravity together, lock them in a room, and not let them out until they complete Soldier of Fortune and Grand Theft Auto 3 without breaking into a fit of homicidal mayhem.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

You see, they gave up on roleplaying because they couldn't stop it. Next step? Video gams, of course. The thing is, they want children to be zombies, have no imagination and not think for themselves. Bah. I've played video games since they came out. I'm not a homicidal maniac.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Kelly Antilles wrote:Bah. I've played video games since they came out. I'm not a homicidal maniac.
Oh, YEAH? Then what happened to the HEAD of the woman who modeled for your AVATAR, HUH? I think the evidence stands for itself. :twisted:

Although seriously, it's inspiration from the arts. If you ban video games, you should start casting wary glances towards the art of, say, Geiger. Or that guy who painted that dramatic and famous painting of Jesus on the cross, with blood pouring from his body and iron driven cruelly through his dehydrated and pain-wracked body. Now THAT'S violence. But kids don't wander through the Louvre and then start tacking up their siblings to the rafters, DO THEY?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Lagmonster wrote:
Kelly Antilles wrote:Bah. I've played video games since they came out. I'm not a homicidal maniac.
Oh, YEAH? Then what happened to the HEAD of the woman who modeled for your AVATAR, HUH? I think the evidence stands for itself. :twisted:
*BOL* Thanks Lag. I needed that. :D
Although seriously, it's inspiration from the arts. If you ban video games, you should start casting wary glances towards the art of, say, Geiger. Or that guy who painted that dramatic and famous painting of Jesus on the cross, with blood pouring from his body and iron driven cruelly through his dehydrated and pain-wracked body. Now THAT'S violence. But kids don't wander through the Louvre and then start tacking up their siblings to the rafters, DO THEY?
What about TV? 24/7 and they are showing the war. That's more violence than ANY video game. They need to just lock their children in a little room and keep them there until they're grown. Then again, they'd probably do that.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Kelly Antilles wrote:You see, they gave up on roleplaying because they couldn't stop it.
And before that it was comic books, and before that jazz music, and before that, it was men seeing women wear pants, and before that...
Video gams, of course.
"Hey babe, nice video gams!" :wink: :D
By His Word...
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
Kelly Antilles wrote: Video gams, of course.
"Hey babe, nice video gams!" :wink: :D
*thwap* I missed the E, big freakin' whoop. :P:P:P:P
Tropen
Redshirt

Post by Tropen »

What's the next step in this? They started the ESRB to keep this kind of thing from happening. Do the majority of parents actually check the ratings on games when they go buying little Billy his Vice City. No, many of them will just mindlessly buy it for him, never even see him gunning down anyone on the street (in the game), and probably not care. Will little Billy turn into a serial killer. Not if his parents are actually doing their responsibility and teaching him reality vs. fiction, or even right and wrong. The only reason they want to target games is that they figured out that many parents don't care, or know that their child will not turn out like they fear they will. Oh well.....

*steps off pedestal*
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Hmm... maybe I'll eat other people like Dr. Hannibal Lecter. I played Pac-Man when I was a kid....

Yummm.. slurrpppppp....
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Hmm... maybe I'll eat other people like Dr. Hannibal Lecter. I played Pac-Man when I was a kid....

Yummm.. slurrpppppp....

::::: backs away from Kreshna :::::

Like everybody says parents just want a scapegoat for how their kids turn out.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Lieberman! NO!

*aims a Culture Effector at Lieberman's head*

I pull the trigger on this, and you're gonna be barking like a chicken and getting a raging hardon every time you see guns or guys with comb-overs for a MONTH!!!
Image Image
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I see games as more of a RELEASE of frustration and urge to kill real people, not ADDING...and if they were to actually do something in the lines of getting their heads out of their asses they'd realize the same thing, but that's asking too much from pure unadultered morons.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

You know, if video games affected us kids, wouldnt we be fucking around in a dark room, munching magic pills, and listening to repetative electronic music? <thinks of raves> ...wellllll sheeeeeeeat....

Well, if video games affected me, i'd be jumping on fucking TV sets and expecting to get rewards due to the amount of time i devoted to sonic the hedgehog.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I say the parents are to blame. They don't spend enough time with their kids, and the kids never learn to distinguish fantasy from reality. The few cases were video games turn some kid into some sort of maniac are outnumbered greatly by the number of people who play such games with little to no problems.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

If games really train kids, then I should be ready to command a fire brigade into combat. All I need is a top-down interface and Close Combat style soldier monitor :roll:
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Yes, violent video games will turn a child into a serial killer. This is supported by the number of people who are now football greats because they played "Madden NFL *insert year here*", right?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:If games really train kids, then I should be ready to command a fire brigade into combat. All I need is a top-down interface and Close Combat style soldier monitor :roll:
Hell, on that thought how many of should be either Martial arts masters...or some of the best snipers in the universe.

Seriously I've visited a couple more virulent senator's/congressmen's websites, sent e-mails(correcting them about games and what they have in them...love the whole DOA VB have nudity options when the creators have said they didn't put it in...hell that's the tip of the iceberg)...usually get a response of thank for being a part of the system....and of course no changes. :roll:

Talking to walls is more productive.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

So how badly I am really hating Lieberman right now.

fucking idiot.

Actually after I sustained brain damage from an abusive stepdad I had an Opthamologist and a Neurologist perscribe a certain number of daily hours of game playing.

I am SOOOO lucky.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin