Freelancer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Freelancer

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

I was just wondering if anyone has this game, and what you think about it. I've got a 50$ gift card from EB left over from X-mas, and I'm trying to decide between Freelancer, Windwalker, or maybe something else.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Freelancer is fun, but there are better on the market.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Freelancer...too few Single player mission(and the scale gets wonky...for 95% of the game it was a breeze, the last area isn't too bad, but the nastiness raises a few too many notches...would liked more missions and better curve)

Wind Waker...awesome, awesome Zelda game...so much to do(sailing is a tad boring)

There are others of course...whatcha interested in?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Freelancer's a wonderful game. It's an expansive universe and has a very active modding community. While it doesn't have the same amount of gameplay as, say, Pokemon, you can still get some hours of enjoyment from it.

In general I'd hold off till the modders get more firmly entrenched though, since that's really where whatever longetivity FL might have is going to come from.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Get Elite or one of its sequels, they're better ;)
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Not a bad game but it will get boring pretty quick after
you have finished SP. MP isn't that hot because it is
a away to easy to get rich very fast via trading in this
game.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Very nice looking, fun while it lasts- but TOO DAMN SHORT.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Vympel wrote:Very nice looking, fun while it lasts- but TOO DAMN SHORT.
I think this is a disease from these guys, Starlancer was also short.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Oh, just go buy Star Wars: Alliance, grab a handful of buddies, and go nuts launching attacks on SSDs. You know you want to.

Space sims really reached their peak at Wing Commander 3, and then rolled over, bloated, and died. Although I did temporarily enjoy the bizarre Tachyon: The Fringe, because Bruce Campbell was in it, and said incredibly funny things to you if you entered in cheat codes.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Lagmonster wrote:Oh, just go buy Star Wars: Alliance, grab a handful of buddies, and go nuts launching attacks on SSDs. You know you want to.

Space sims really reached their peak at Wing Commander 3, and then rolled over, bloated, and died. Although I did temporarily enjoy the bizarre Tachyon: The Fringe, because Bruce Campbell was in it, and said incredibly funny things to you if you entered in cheat codes.
I disagree, the Freespace games absolutely rocked. The problem is they never got off the ground; certainly never achieved a profile like Wing Commader.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stormbringer wrote:I disagree, the Freespace games absolutely rocked. The problem is they never got off the ground; certainly never achieved a profile like Wing Commader.
They had their moments, but the game was very dry to me. The enemy vessels were huge, but the dogfights were spectacularly boring. That and the music/imagery never reached the desperation levels of Alliance.

Freespace was, however, very fun and very easy to control and play. And the beam cannons were just insanely cool. I'm trying to remember how I did it, but wasn't there an editor-type-thing where you could make your own vessels, or at least specify their weaponry? I remember making a training drone with Lucifer-class beam cannons.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Very good, very easy, and very short.

That is the very short description of Freelancer.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

After I beat the game, I gave myself the BW Ultra Heavy fighter at the beginning :D
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Lagmonster wrote:Space sims really reached their peak at Wing Commander 3, and then rolled over, bloated, and died.
Are you crazy? Wing commander died after number two. Three was full of you in the lone fighter taking out hundreds of carriers by yourself gameplay.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Graeme Dice wrote:
Lagmonster wrote:Space sims really reached their peak at Wing Commander 3, and then rolled over, bloated, and died.
Are you crazy? Wing commander died after number two. Three was full of you in the lone fighter taking out hundreds of carriers by yourself gameplay.
*nostalgic dreamy-eyed look* Yeahhhh.....