STGODs: Explanation

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Joe
Space Cowboy

STGODs: Explanation

Post by Joe »

OK. I know nothing about STGODs, but I am intrigued. I would appreciate it if someone would give a fairly basic explanation of what an STGOD is, and how one goes about participating in one, and then maybe stickifying this thread.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

My guess is Super TGOD (The Good Old Days).
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Re: STGODs: Explanation

Post by SirNitram »

Durran Korr wrote:OK. I know nothing about STGODs, but I am intrigued. I would appreciate it if someone would give a fairly basic explanation of what an STGOD is, and how one goes about participating in one, and then maybe stickifying this thread.
It stands for Structured TGOD.. And if you want to see a TGOD, well, we've got one to 4 pages.

Basically, take a nation first stepping to the stars, or perhaps a remnant of a once great empire. That's the normal, anyway(STGOD 1 and 2 in ASVS were like that). They can literally be anywhere, anytime. They are moderated by one person(Phong on ASVS), and the power levels are kept in a rough middle ground(You can be fast and weak, but not so fast it's pointless for a big and slow guy to attack).
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Shinova wrote:My guess is Super TGOD (The Good Old Days).
Actually Structured TGOD (TGOD minus the Deus Ex Machina and 50000km Penis Ships, in other words, TGOD the way it's MEANT TO BE!!!)
Image Image
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

No. The 'way TGODs were meant to be' was always the standard unmoderated and uncontrolled TGOD.

STGODs were intended as a way to attempt to control things and calm things down a bit. That utterly failed when the STGOD1 Arms Race occured and I ended up in a semi-reset of the entire system. One varient is called the RTGOD, a variation of which I use in one of SB's SDs.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

phongn wrote:No. The 'way TGODs were meant to be' was always the standard unmoderated and uncontrolled TGOD.

STGODs were intended as a way to attempt to control things and calm things down a bit. That utterly failed when the STGOD1 Arms Race occured and I ended up in a semi-reset of the entire system. One varient is called the RTGOD, a variation of which I use in one of SB's SDs.
Oh ok, sorry. :)

RTGOD?
Image Image
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

phongn wrote:No. The 'way TGODs were meant to be' was always the standard unmoderated and uncontrolled TGOD.

That might have partially been my fault, when I captured enough territory to be a threat to the Imperium... In a week.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:

Oh ok, sorry. :)

RTGOD?
Very loosely based on Turtledove's World War series. The Race comes a'knocking on ~1990s-2000s Earth (which is more advanced, e.g. fusion is widespread). We saw everything from converted submarines to blackpowder cannon being used everywhere :D

It was bizarre, but fun. Then Pablo tried an end-run against the Race's homeworld and stirred up the hornet's nest :evil:
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Very loosely based on Turtledove's World War series. The Race comes a'knocking on ~1990s-2000s Earth (which is more advanced, e.g. fusion is widespread). We saw everything from converted submarines to blackpowder cannon being used everywhere :D

It was bizarre, but fun. Then Pablo tried an end-run against the Race's homeworld and stirred up the hornet's nest :evil:
Whine whine whine. We could have beaten their forces, but everyone stopped posting.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
phongn wrote:Very loosely based on Turtledove's World War series. The Race comes a'knocking on ~1990s-2000s Earth (which is more advanced, e.g. fusion is widespread). We saw everything from converted submarines to blackpowder cannon being used everywhere :D

Whine whine whine. We could have beaten their forces, but everyone stopped posting.
I was ready to continue! But Kyle then disappeared again and everyone else left.

Incidentially, I switched your Russia to become the USSR in the SB Great Game SD. After nuking various Race worlds with crude strategic missiles, I managed to force an armistace, saving humanity.

Go ahead a few hundred years, and I just restarted the war :D
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Incidentially, I switched your Russia to become the USSR in the SB Great Game SD. After nuking various Race worlds with crude strategic missiles, I managed to force an armistace, saving humanity.

Yay for the Rodina :)
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
phongn wrote:Incidentially, I switched your Russia to become the USSR in the SB Great Game SD. After nuking various Race worlds with crude strategic missiles, I managed to force an armistace, saving humanity.

Yay for the Rodina :)
I was about to pull an 1980s with the USSR, but then decided to bring out war again. The Motherland's warfleet has the most firepower, but sensors aren't quite as good as, say, the USA's.

Meanwhile, they were helping the Soviet UFP out, annoying Big Steve's power :D
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Meanwhile, they were helping the Soviet UFP out, annoying Big Steve's power :D
It is the duty of the first Soviet nation to foster, or, if necessary, create Communist movements in the other nations of the universe!
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
phongn wrote:Meanwhile, they were helping the Soviet UFP out, annoying Big Steve's power :D
It is the duty of the first Soviet nation to foster, or, if necessary, create Communist movements in the other nations of the universe!
Exactly! Though SUFP Premier Asako T'Prinn is obsessed about this. Before Iceberg pulled out, I was starting a DPRK-analogue on his borders, too :D

The KGB is also giving the ADN Intelligence services a fit, but they (being the imperialistic capitalistic hegemon) have telepathy and that field is virtually unknown in universe designate TRD-1 (the one I run). That'll change over time.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:The KGB is also giving the ADN Intelligence services a fit, but they (being the imperialistic capitalistic hegemon) have telepathy and that field is virtually unknown in universe designate TRD-1 (the one I run). That'll change over time.
Of course. Time is on the side of the international proletarian revolution, as it has always been. Is your USSR the biggest power, or what? With what you're describing, my response as the other powers would be to form an anti-USSR coalition.
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Reminds me of the Communist alliance in STGOD2. The potent USSSR, the pathetic little remnant of Deimos, and the massive Lost.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
phongn wrote:The KGB is also giving the ADN Intelligence services a fit, but they (being the imperialistic capitalistic hegemon) have telepathy and that field is virtually unknown in universe designate TRD-1 (the one I run). That'll change over time.
Of course. Time is on the side of the international proletarian revolution, as it has always been. Is your USSR the biggest power, or what? With what you're describing, my response as the other powers would be to form an anti-USSR coalition.
TRD-1 has some of the most messed up power politics you will ever see. The PRC is technically the largest power, but they still do the Billion Man March and mostly have system patrol craft. They don't have much force projection. They're allied with Vietnam and North Korea for the People's Liberation Alliance.

The USSR is also big, and they, um 'lead' the WARPAC. They, of course, are in direct confrontation with NATO - led by the United States and the Imperial Commonwealth.

There is also the Islamic League, the African Coalition and the Democratic Asia Treaty Organization, headed by Thailand and Japan. India remains an independant power.

So we have this crazed multipolar Cold War going on - and then there's the whole issue of the Race and their client nations in the Race "Alliance". Said client nations just rebelled to form the Confederacy of Ja'Qu. There is also the isolationist Minotaur, who tend to stay out of things since winning their independance in Space War I (they rebelled against the weakened Race).

The USA keeps the wormhole to the rest of the multiverse proper (linking to the "gateway" CON-5 universe), which annoys the PLA and WARPAC to no end. They smuggle stuff out to the SUFP and other Revolutionary movements as best they can.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

SirNitram wrote:Reminds me of the Communist alliance in STGOD2. The potent USSSR, the pathetic little remnant of Deimos, and the massive Lost.
USSSR is to the Lost as French Communist Party is to Soviet Union :lol:

And why did Deimos even bother playing? Not even his allies were terribly fond of him, and his stupid design choices made it possible for even my SRDC and GPF to humiliate him repeatedly.
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:Reminds me of the Communist alliance in STGOD2. The potent USSSR, the pathetic little remnant of Deimos, and the massive Lost.
ADM Nguyen still hasn't forgiven the Lost for that, you know.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

phongn wrote:
And likely never will. The Beast bears him no ill will, however, and may still intercede if he falls into danger.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:
phongn wrote:
And likely never will. The Beast bears him no ill will, however, and may still intercede if he falls into danger.
Oh, I don't bear the Beast ill will for that, but he's still annoyed about it and as you said, will probably never let it go. Obviously, Titanite & Serenity have long forgiven him for that lapse in judgement ;)
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Want the legacy of TGODs? Go here:

http://www.daltonator.net/fanfics/tgod.html
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Not to be confused with "Story Debates" or SD's, and I sometimes refer to the StarDestroyer.net as "The SD" to the confusion of some...

Crazy 9000, nice avatar. Who?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Coyote wrote:Not to be confused with "Story Debates" or SD's, and I sometimes refer to the StarDestroyer.net as "The SD" to the confusion of some...
SD does often resemble an ultrastructured STGOD, though.
Crazy 9000, nice avatar. Who?
His girlfriend, I think.