How to best move browser data between PCs/browsers

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

How to best move browser data between PCs/browsers

Post by Batman »

Am currently on from a Win 10 PC with Chrome and am planning to move on to a win 11 one wit Firefox so what's the best way to transfer the data so I don't have to try to figure out all my old passwords and everything? Yes I know 'google it' and there's a trillion guides but a a lot of them are mutually contradictory.
If your best advice is 'just reinstall and keep using Chrome' that's cool, just tell me how to transfer the data.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: How to best move browser data between PCs/browsers

Post by Jub »

If you stick with Chrome you don't need to manually do anything. Just install it on the new PC and sign in to Google and everything should migrate automatically.

I don't know how to migrate that same data between browsers and PCs though.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The first thing I'd try is to install Chrome onto the new computer, let it sync everything. Then install Firefox and see if it has an automated process to copy everything over.

If that doesn't work, Chrome's bookmark manager has an import/export function. As does the password manager. So I'd try them to export from Chrome and hope that Firefox can import them. I can throw out some screenshots or more detailed instructions from Chrome if you want, but I can't help you with importing into Firefox.

What other data do you want to transfer ?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Already installed Chrome, I'd be happy to stick with it (familarity and all) but Google refuses to believe I'm me because I can't remember my latest password (which is one of the reasons why I wanted to fold over browser data in the first place!!!)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That might get in the way of exporting passwords, even from your old computer.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

I think most browsers allow you export this information if you need to do this manually.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord