50% of customers won’t connect smart appliances

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: 50% of customers won’t connect smart appliances

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-02-13 07:53pm Isn't part of the problem that large parts of the USA powergrid is older then my mother and hasn't had major renovations since I've been born and I was born in the early 1980s
Yes.
And another part is what I see here in WV -- power companies petition for higher rates every other year (or every year), and usually get it, but they're NOT using it to maintain lines. You can drive US Rt 60 from Ansted to Charleston and see dozens of downed trees still sitting on powerlines, all showing signs they've been there for MONTHS. There's power poles tilting like the Tower of Pisa that haven't been replaced.

Where Is That Money Going -- because it's not going to stopping obvious issues from becoming future problems.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-02-13 07:53pmIsn't part of the problem that large parts of the USA powergrid is older then my mother and hasn't had major renovations since I've been born and I was born in the early 1980s
That and, in places, most notably a large chunk of Texas, they don't connect to out-of-state sections of the grid to share power. Places like California also import power so if anything happens in British Columbia, California could see an electricity shortfall.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's kind of funny that here in Finland you'd probably would have to go into the most secluded locations of Lapland to get trees or what not fixed within weeks at most.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-02-13 07:24pm "The States" is a pretty big place. The power outage problems are spotty. A big problem is you're in an affected area of, say, Texas.

We get the occasional outage due to storm damage (usually either 100+ kph winds trimming the trees or a tornado causing damage) but I think the longest I've been out in the past 20+ years was 18 hours. Usually it's just a couple hours at most, with years between outages.
What about internet outages ?

Because they would also kill any smart devices that require a server connection.

I've even heard of some smart devices that lose any ability to connect to the internet after a year or two because the wifi hardware in them is just that crap.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-02-13 09:58pm I've even heard of some smart devices that lose any ability to connect to the internet after a year or two because the wifi hardware in them is just that crap.
You mean designed/intended to fail to require replacement or upgrade, right?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The problems with the US power grid are well known. They were part of the reason behind the 2003 Blackout that lasted 3 days.
(Yes, the proximate cause as a software bug, but the rather problematic nature of the US power grid made the problem worse)

The other problem with Smart Appliances is brand reliability. If I buy a Fridge from say 'Appliance Company 2', I have decided to trust said company.
Now, if Alliance Company 4 buys up Alliance Company 2, well, I never decided to trust Company #4, now did I?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, that is also an issue, especially outside of major metropolitan areas. Which is why sale of home generators is a pretty common thing in many areas.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-02-13 07:53pm
Broomstick wrote: 2023-02-13 07:24pm "The States" is a pretty big place. The power outage problems are spotty. A big problem is you're in an affected area of, say, Texas.

We get the occasional outage due to storm damage (usually either 100+ kph winds trimming the trees or a tornado causing damage) but I think the longest I've been out in the past 20+ years was 18 hours. Usually it's just a couple hours at most, with years between outages.
Isn't part of the problem that large parts of the USA powergrid is older then my mother and hasn't had major renovations since I've been born and I was born in the early 1980s
That's a fairly big problem, yes. Everyone with a brain knows it needs rebuilt and upgraded, just like our decaying bridges, roads, power grids, telecom networks and sewer systems. But this us uhmurrikkka, so all that public infrastructure is the commieunism.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-02-15 05:42pm
That's a fairly big problem, yes. Everyone with a brain knows it needs rebuilt and upgraded, just like our decaying bridges, roads, power grids, telecom networks and sewer systems. But this us uhmurrikkka, so all that public infrastructure is the commieunism.
More like "That would cost Taxes, and much liked Free Health Care, we'd rather spend the money on other things. Like funding things of questionable worth, utility, or value."

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-02-16 09:27am
Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-02-15 05:42pm
More like "That would cost Taxes, and much liked Free Health Care, we'd rather spend the money on other things. Like funding things of questionable worth, utility, or value."
Taxes? No, it'd not cost taxes, because Electricity isn't "Public Utilities" in most places, it's Stock Market Big Business, so they do as little as possible to upgrade/upkeep so Profits stay High.
See my complaint about raising rates and still having fallen trees just laying on power lines.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-02-16 11:25am
Taxes? No, it'd not cost taxes, because Electricity isn't "Public Utilities" in most places, it's Stock Market Big Business, so they do as little as possible to upgrade/upkeep so Profits stay High.
See my complaint about raising rates and still having fallen trees just laying on power lines.
[/quote]

Is that universal across the United States, or just in certain areas?
Also, are there not laws being violated with the trees laying there? That's public safety at minimal.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Like so much of the US, it varies from place to place and state to state. But privately owned utilities, as opposed to government owned ones, are becoming more and more common.

As for the public safety thing - well, there's what is supposed to happen, and what actually does happen.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Capitalism working as intended-the rich get richer, and the rest get screwed.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-02-16 06:14pm Like so much of the US, it varies from place to place and state to state. But privately owned utilities, as opposed to government owned ones, are becoming more and more common.

As for the public safety thing - well, there's what is supposed to happen, and what actually does happen.
And what actually DOES happen is nothing is done until and unless that tree falls the rest of the way and takes out power to someone. Just laying there doesn't seem to be a problem, although you just KNOW wind's rubbing the wire against the tree.

Oh hey, lookie here... Power is out in the town of Boomer due to a mudslide that took down one of those leaning power poles I just drove by today while heading to Charleston and back. :banghead:

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-02-16 06:14pm Like so much of the US, it varies from place to place and state to state. But privately owned utilities, as opposed to government owned ones, are becoming more and more common.

Much like politicians, businessmen are only ever dutiful and honest when held at gunpoint.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-02-17 12:42am

Much like politicians, businessmen are only ever dutiful and honest when held at gunpoint.
And even then, some of them require you to have proof on video tape, several witnesses, and their mother/wife guilt tripping them

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

The last thing I want on my phone is yet another goddamned app. If it can't use the webbrowser it can go suck itself off.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-02-13 08:32pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2023-02-13 07:53pm Isn't part of the problem that large parts of the USA powergrid is older then my mother and hasn't had major renovations since I've been born and I was born in the early 1980s
Yes.
And another part is what I see here in WV -- power companies petition for higher rates every other year (or every year), and usually get it, but they're NOT using it to maintain lines. You can drive US Rt 60 from Ansted to Charleston and see dozens of downed trees still sitting on powerlines, all showing signs they've been there for MONTHS. There's power poles tilting like the Tower of Pisa that haven't been replaced.

Where Is That Money Going -- because it's not going to stopping obvious issues from becoming future problems.
Reminds me a bit of Finland and applies to Sweden as well. You got loads of every day people complaining about all the extra taxes nowadays and how everything is getting more expensive all the time compared to the glory years in the 80s and how we're living in a left wing dyswoketopia one step away from communism.

But when you actually look at the data the overall tax "pressure" in Finland (and Sweden) has never been lower! It's been on a downward trend for decades and it's only getting lower. The state is taxing less of the economy than in say the 1980s. The public sector has shrunk too. And in the 80s, the time that most conservatives say they would love to return to, the overall tax rate was way higher and the public sector was bigger.

So what happened? The rich got tax breaks and taxation was moved downwards in order to try and maintain the infrastructure and welfare state. So sure, taxation overall has never been lower, but it's fallen on all the average joes who voted in tax breaks for the rich to pay for it. Yet they still complain about our increasing debt and how lousy public services are becoming, due to lack of funds. Well. They don't know do they.... They never bothered figuring it out and nobody in the media is telling it like it is.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.