Found a bunch of boxes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Found a bunch of boxes

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I found a big carton filled with PC game boxes in storage at my parents place, based on the games I think these date from 1994-2002 ish which was around the time I used to play games, it petered out after that. IIRC around that online games got popular and it was never my thing.

I took some pictures:

Star Control III, you did not live up to your predecessor sadly, but I still replayed it many times. They had a lot of good ideas and concepts, the daktaklakpak, the K'tang where hilarious. Jesus the treatment they gave the syreen tho.

Mechwarrior three ruled, loved the feel of the gameplay in it. I think my favorite game ever in the mechwarrior series was Mercenaries though which can be found further down. I don't remember time commando except vaugely bad memories.

Rise of the Triad! It ruled! Blood was fun too but not as good as the first one, but used to have a lot of fun on their online community back in the day. Civ II is still playable today frankly.

Terra Nova has such a great cover. One of the best games ever made IMO.

Total annihilation, Red Alert, original C&C. I stopped play RTS games ecause I didn't feel the latter ones ever caught my attention as well.

Dungeon Master was a pretty funn and weird game, I remember it got a sequel but it was nowhere as fun.

That flying game sucked!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Found a bunch of boxes

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Some real gems in there. Some of my earliest memories are watching my brothers play the original Worms on the ancient PC we kept upstairs once mum and dad got a fancier one for their office.

Hwll, I still have the original Worms running on my old laptop somehow. It may be old, but it was simple to play yet rewarding to master.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oh boxes, I'm still hauling mine around as I lack a bookcase to put them on. They look in better condition than mine are.

But yes loved the old big boxes even if they are wasteful and mostly empty space.... (And cloth maps glorious cloth maps)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Cloth maps, posters, and above all comprehensive manuals you could read without a microscope. And the occasional fun gimmick.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
His Divine Shadow

I used to have a gigantic fucking starmap of hyperspace from star control II, SC2 and the map w as bundled with SC3. Which was really cool, that map was genuinely useful in playing Star Control II. It must've been something like 2A0 paper size or something... Probably threw it away when I moved...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Nice stack. I've played a lot of them back in the day and they're great
Darken
Redshirt

Post by Darken »

Oh man, riding home from say, Walmart with a new game in hand, reading the box over and over and staring at the pictures in awe. Those were some great times as a kid.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Dude XWvTIE, Civ and worms ate up so much of my time over the years. Never had any Warcraft, but did have both the Starcraft games.

Gonna have to second the reading the booklets repeatedly too
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
His Divine Shadow

I did spend a lot of time reading the diablo and Warcraft II booklets. They where good. Thought the warcraft storyline went to crap after WC2 however.

Master of Orion II btw, I am not sure if I spent more time on that than Civ II.

And I never did play the figher games much, I realized they weren't my thing after those two games.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

You've just reminded me how awesome PC game boxes (replete with huge manuals) were.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.