Final Fantasy XIV

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Post by LadyTevar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-06-05 01:18pm 2000 clears of Mentor Roulette.
Ooooooooooooh.
Well, I've yet to qualify for Mentorship.

I did spend yesterday doing the Void Arc arc. I did not realize it was a full questline! I had to call it a night before Dun Sciath.

But it's part of my plan to do all the side-dungeons while waiting for new content. I'm going to hold off on Coil until I get my Alt up to that point, because I want to see how running it changes things with Alphinaud and Alisae
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hell, i haven't even unlocked Mentor Roulette yet, though I do have Mentor status. I still need to do a lot of the Minstrel's Ballad/Extreme fights, plus finish the shadowbringers 24-man.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The new delinquent racer tribe quests have similarly crazy good XP to Shadowbringers. 8 days worth of quests to gain a level when equivalent Stormblood tribes required 15-18 days worth of beast tribe quests. Well Endwalkers tribe offers 3x the experience just like Shadowbringers offered 3x the experience of stormblood.

TLDR: To put in numbers, my astrologian at level 85 needs 8.5 million to level, Pixie tribe quests from Shadowbringer are 375k per quests aka 1.1 million per day. Well the Endwalker wacky racers offer 920k per quest for 2.7 million per day.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Bean wrote: 2022-06-07 08:08am The new delinquent racer tribe quests have similarly crazy good XP to Shadowbringers. 8 days worth of quests to gain a level when equivalent Stormblood tribes required 15-18 days worth of beast tribe quests. Well Endwalkers tribe offers 3x the experience just like Shadowbringers offered 3x the experience of stormblood.

TLDR: To put in numbers, my astrologian at level 85 needs 8.5 million to level, Pixie tribe quests from Shadowbringer are 375k per quests aka 1.1 million per day. Well the Endwalker wacky racers offer 920k per quest for 2.7 million per day.
Where do I find the Wacky Racers?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

NEW HILDEBRANT IS OUT!!!

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-07 10:17am
Mr Bean wrote: 2022-06-07 08:08am The new delinquent racer tribe quests have similarly crazy good XP to Shadowbringers. 8 days worth of quests to gain a level when equivalent Stormblood tribes required 15-18 days worth of beast tribe quests. Well Endwalkers tribe offers 3x the experience just like Shadowbringers offered 3x the experience of stormblood.

Where do I find the Wacky Racers?
So you need to have done this quest chain

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki ... n_a_Parent

And the other quest chain

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki ... ng_the_Way

I believe both are Blue tagged quests in Thavnir, one was just added and one that was a lead in to an aether current. Once you've done both quests you get Hippos Born to Run another Blue quest then it's on to the beast tribe quests.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OH!

Yes, I've done both of those. I'll check out the quest level tonight, but I fear my DNC won't be able to do them. I got her to lvl 77, and I'm still trying to get her to where she can do the Blasphemy Quests and finish up that questline (I've completed Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, and Magic DPS). I've been grinding the other Beast Quests and got her up that far.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Just unlock 'em at 80, I figure. I've been leveling DRK with them, though I've mostly been focusing on my alt dragon-girl character and moving into the Heavensward patch content..............
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Steve wrote: 2022-06-07 07:15amHell, i haven't even unlocked Mentor Roulette yet, though I do have Mentor status. I still need to do a lot of the Minstrel's Ballad/Extreme fights, plus finish the shadowbringers 24-man.
I can't even recall my trip? I learned of it's existence when I came back from hiatus toward the end of SB. I somehow fiddled around and got 800 clears after my FC did some farms and got me the rest of the unlocks. And then at the end of ShB, looking for something to keep me interested, I set my sights to go into EW with all the (existing) pre-requisites unlocked. The hardest clear, obv, being Diamond Weapon. So, even after EW launched, I only did a few clears here and there.

And then I got to the point of "I'm doing this." Trolling Strak about this in Discord, there was a point where if I was getting lucky, I could get 100 clears in a day. Mostly though, I seemed to average 50 or so, with some days being rough and only getting 25.

My only real complaint is I never got Sephirot EX down in Mentor. Everything else I ever got, I cleared at least once. The second worst was Thordan EX. But one group I got into, even losing both tanks right before adds, we one shot. At the end, I had to sprint after getting the stack marker, shoot a raise out to a healer, intentionally take the stack alone because we didn't have enough people, and she was able to keep what was left of the group up enough to clear it.

I don't really understand the hype for the Manderville quest. I mean, it's great he's back, while some of them were a slog in the past, they were all around just a solid break from the generally more heavy content of FFXIV. At least in this line, you DO STUFF (No Spoilers) and is in fact a really cool way to show how the WoL is both powerful AND understands that (somehow) Hildibrand, and the content related to him, exists in some kind of a vacuum. You are no longer just someone watching his antics, you understand them, you interact with them, and you use them to push the story forward.

I would normally say "this is why people are hyped about this." But all the comments suggested more like ZOMG FUNNY face, or Hildibrand's "reintro" scene. I just feel people should be glad the writers are allowing the WoL to interact with this insane microcosm Hildibrand creates, outside the boss fight. The rest of the content is... there? I dunno what's up with the rest of these pervs, I just plan to put the New Custom Delivery NPC in a High House Bustle. Also, the writers continue to highlight that, as much as we need her, Rowena has near zero redeeming qualities.

The Omega Questline is "Dummies Guide to Nier Automata/Blade Runner and other generic AI related Sci-Fi." Whatever, I don't mind "What is Man?" type stuff, but you don't get an E for effort from me in 2022.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I like the obscurity of the Hildy quests. They are silly, but it's Saturday Morning Cartoon silly, so over-the-top, and it's so much fun. Especially the exaggerated facial expressions. The artists/animators have to be laughing their asses off while doing it.

As for this quest? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I liked my character's attitude of "Yes, he's that weird, just use it to your advantage". And yes, when he appears and talks to you after you dance for him, I boggled at the thought "Could he really have....????". Because it *IS* Hildy, who for all his faults *IS* a Gentleman of Light. That it was a bright sunny day added to the "Uhhhhhhhhh" factor. I'm still wondering about where he got the wings and makeup.
I was confused why they were calling him a 'Poser" at first, then I realized Poser as in 'strike a pose' not 'Poser' as an insult.

Yes, I knew what Nushi handed me. I did not expect to play Volleyball with it, but it was absolutely epic to watch. They only thing that would have made it better would have been a "hit the button/key to power up the shot" FTA.

At the end tho -- SERIOUSLY? It's a PIKMAN!!

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, I mean I still love some slapstick even in my old age. But Hildy stuff always felt like me, or really my character, was the only "straight man" involved. Much like.... shit, who was the Elezen Inspector guy? Anyways, you were always meant to be his mirror: two reasonable people watching insanity in action. It's about time the WoL embraced the absurdity and understand the microcosm they are in when interacting with Hildy and Nashu. The laws of Ethyris do not apply. And as said, you even have those two adventurers who were like "when in rome" and so they both play Bob-omb volleyball with you.

It's an interactive media, interact with it. But as I said, a vast majority of people are posting like "ZOMG, FUNNY FACE!" WTF man, they've had that since ARR? I also want to see more damned voice acting. At least the American VAs, post ARR, do a bang up job, even when asked to Ham it up. Susano is a perfect example: REJOICE! And even in ARR, Gilgemesh was pretty hilarious.

I still laugh at the delivery of these lines today. Needs more.

Or just... even him spamming tank busters, and being like "huh?" "What?" as they do nothing. So he legit just Falcon Punches the tank, and then is like "THIS SPEAR I STOLE IS SHIT!" It's fun too cuz Greg will drop 4th wall breaks here and there.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-06-13 11:47am Yea, I mean I still love some slapstick even in my old age. But Hildy stuff always felt like me, or really my character, was the only "straight man" involved. Much like.... shit, who was the Elezen Inspector guy? Anyways, you were always meant to be his mirror: two reasonable people watching insanity in action. It's about time the WoL embraced the absurdity and understand the microcosm they are in when interacting with Hildy and Nashu. The laws of Ethyris do not apply. And as said, you even have those two adventurers who were like "when in rome" and so they both play Bob-omb volleyball with you.

It's an interactive media, interact with it. But as I said, a vast majority of people are posting like "ZOMG, FUNNY FACE!" WTF man, they've had that since ARR? I also want to see more damned voice acting. At least the American VAs, post ARR, do a bang up job, even when asked to Ham it up. Susano is a perfect example: REJOICE! And even in ARR, Gilgemesh was pretty hilarious.

I still laugh at the delivery of these lines today. Needs more.

Or just... even him spamming tank busters, and being like "huh?" "What?" as they do nothing. So he legit just Falcon Punches the tank, and then is like "THIS SPEAR I STOLE IS SHIT!" It's fun too cuz Greg will drop 4th wall breaks here and there.
Just one correction there's no american VA after ARR, it's all the same London cast that does both NA and European English, that said yeah the London cast is a vast improvement over the LA cast, though I think it's mostly due to direction they were given as the LA cast did have some big names but their performances weren't great at all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-06-13 11:47am Yea, I mean I still love some slapstick even in my old age. But Hildy stuff always felt like me, or really my character, was the only "straight man" involved. Much like.... shit, who was the Elezen Inspector guy? Anyways, you were always meant to be his mirror: two reasonable people watching insanity in action. It's about time the WoL embraced the absurdity and understand the microcosm they are in when interacting with Hildy and Nashu. The laws of Ethyris do not apply. And as said, you even have those two adventurers who were like "when in rome" and so they both play Bob-omb volleyball with you.
And that's the whole point -- we ARE the straight-man in this routine, but over the 'years' we've learned how to wind Hildy up and point him in the (mostly) right direction.

But it was nice to see the two new "Warriors of Light" first dance with me (I did the mambo, what did you do?), and then play volleyball. Hildy's "I expected this from Nashu, but you too?" was a great touch. Their reaction to their first(?) Echo was hilarious too.

So was Leah Beg's (sp) comment that even gods can't kill Hildy. "And they've tried...."

Speaking of the OTHER Inspector, it was nice to see him in Ishgard, and have him help with the Blasphemy Quest there.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Slowly working with my Alt-toon through ARR, and there's so MUCH I'd FORGOTTEN about the storyline!! So many things I notice now that either I missed or didn't pay attention enough.

Some are little things, such as when you meet up again with Yda and Y'shtola inside Shifting Sands, Y'stola speaks of Louisoix, and the camera pans to his broken staff on the wall. How I was there when Cid fled the Empire and gave him his goggles. Some of the Echos I forgot happened.

I'm also doing the ARR Beast Quests because my first time through I didn't know there were more than the Pixie Quests and never finished those. I'll probably skip the Ixal again, since it's Crafting. I really don't enjoy Crafting, but so far Botany is fun.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I put off finishing out ARR and moving to HW on my alt cuz I need to level DRG. I can't go into HW without having one up on Esintien. I remember way back playing through HW, everytime Esty would get mouthy, I'd be like "don't make me kick your ass again. I'll fuckin' do it if the game lets me."

It's pretty nuts how PLD gets dumped on, but it's honestly one of the better ARR Job quests. I even drank the koolaid and mocked it until I went back. It consistently both lore dumps via cutscene and combat. However, DRG just... lore dumps. The first 3 quests are "hey, here's a bunch of info of what DRGs are. It's all lies, but whatevs! Now, go kill 3 mobs and come back!" PLD at least works engagement with the Job. You're actively in the middle of the corruption and helping fight it. And more than that, your existence is used against the Job Quest giver. It's honestly set a bar really high.

Realistically, LNC/DRG is probably the weakest combo storywise. It's blown away by ACN/SCH/SMN. I mean, anything not involving Y'Mitra is low tier anyways.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-07-14 02:07pm I put off finishing out ARR and moving to HW on my alt cuz I need to level DRG. I can't go into HW without having one up on Esintien. I remember way back playing through HW, everytime Esty would get mouthy, I'd be like "don't make me kick your ass again. I'll fuckin' do it if the game lets me."

It's pretty nuts how PLD gets dumped on, but it's honestly one of the better ARR Job quests. I even drank the koolaid and mocked it until I went back. It consistently both lore dumps via cutscene and combat. However, DRG just... lore dumps. The first 3 quests are "hey, here's a bunch of info of what DRGs are. It's all lies, but whatevs! Now, go kill 3 mobs and come back!" PLD at least works engagement with the Job. You're actively in the middle of the corruption and helping fight it. And more than that, your existence is used against the Job Quest giver. It's honestly set a bar really high.

Realistically, LNC/DRG is probably the weakest combo storywise. It's blown away by ACN/SCH/SMN. I mean, anything not involving Y'Mitra is low tier anyways.
I wonder if part (at least for some people) why they dislike the Paladin job quests (and to a degree the Gladiator ones) is that you're not acting like a lawful stupid thug who just charges in and slaughters all who they deem to be "bad guys", instead you're working within the system as much as possible and even when you can't you consider what is the best solution for the next step to do things in a way Ul'Dah doesn't end as burning ruins with the streets covered with people you killed.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I thought the hated Paladin Jobquests were the 50-60 ones where we find out that Ul'dah Paladins operate on either the Sith rule of two or Highlander rules. The bits at the start are not bad and the bits in the middle okay but the whole "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" end state is uh... odd.

Which is why they went right back to Gladiator stuff for 60-70.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Warrior storyline I called soon as I saw "the Beast" and met Curious Gorge. I knew who'd end up being the troublemaker.

Monk storyline, well... I'm not sure where the Ala Mhigan monk/mentor is taking me. He sounds like he's heading straight for Shinryu's birth. I'll have to wait and see where it goes. TBH I liked the aether-archeologist more. I actually wish they'd have let us 'hear' more of his theories and what he planned with the info we gathered.

Archer/Bard storyline is eh. All the story/songs he taught me was from his own past, one he's running from.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Thing is, people at the time were saying "PLD HW quests suck as bad as ARR." As PLD was my first 60 in HW, I did it at the time. So, I think that colored my perception. The ARR PLD quests are fine. The HW ones were a really weird knockoff of the old DS9 episode Sword of Kahless.

Spoiler tags don't work for me, but this content is a decade old either way:

ARR KEEPS ON GIVING. Props to the writers years later for making me mad yet again. Seriously, I think it was their intent and it worked:
Oh noes, the immortal refuge dragon (incorrectly) calls the WoL out for only being powerful cuz chosen! So, to teach her... what? Humility? He cuts off the blessing and expects her to die quickly. But you know, 3 quests later: the WoL is forced to fight an Ascian 1on1.... and wins. AND IIRC, this wasn't Midgard being snarky to push us, he was a total ass through HW up until he realizes "holy shit, this woman is legit."

I love themes of immortals talking shit about mortal being fearful. Like, you don't feel fear as an IMMORTAL being, good for you. Anywho, I'll be killing your son again soon. How's that immortality working out for him?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

IIRC the Japanese version specified that Midgradsormr was testing us to see if we could be powerful without the blessing, essentially to see if we were truly strong or just using the blessing of the Light as a crutch.

That said it really doesn't come of that way in English.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, he comes off as an arrogant prick. Even if it's a translation failure, it's like a trust fund baby mocking us for scraping together enough money to barely survive after being given a small stipend and then being like "Imma take it away to test you." To twist the knife, his actions (and possibly Hydaelyn's, depending on how you read it, he may have been acting with her approval) directly lead to the death of one character and nearly kills a third mere hours later. In fact, the entire premise is dumb because we're fighting people so powerful, one openly admits they could kill anyone except the WoL on a whim, they just don't cuz they're playing the long game.

These interactions massively colored my perceptions of FFXIV dragonkin, which was the point, in that they aren't really any better morally than spoken. Except, laughably, they're worse because we aren't immortals and naturally stupid tough and intelligent (most dragons, like their DnD counterparts, seem to be born with tons of inherent knowledge).
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I like the new FFXIV housing lottery system I just hate my frigging luck. 0/6 and I had a 33% chance this week. It will be worse every week after this week.

Also Midgradsormr, 100% a dick and a dick where it's not explained why he's such a dick until much much later.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-07-15 05:34pm Yea, he comes off as an arrogant prick. Even if it's a translation failure, it's like a trust fund baby mocking us for scraping together enough money to barely survive after being given a small stipend and then being like "Imma take it away to test you." To twist the knife, his actions (and possibly Hydaelyn's, depending on how you read it, he may have been acting with her approval) directly lead to the death of one character and nearly kills a third mere hours later. In fact, the entire premise is dumb because we're fighting people so powerful, one openly admits they could kill anyone except the WoL on a whim, they just don't cuz they're playing the long game.

These interactions massively colored my perceptions of FFXIV dragonkin, which was the point, in that they aren't really any better morally than spoken. Except, laughably, they're worse because we aren't immortals and naturally stupid tough and intelligent (most dragons, like their DnD counterparts, seem to be born with tons of inherent knowledge).
I think there's not just the words but also cultural differences that make the translation fail, as IIRC "an old wise master who acts like a prick to test you" is fairly common character type in Japanese stories (the Japanese possibly having gotten that character type from the Chinese back in the day) so they would be more familiar and accepting of that character types then most westerners who don't really use that character type as much if at all anymore.

I think the intention was that Midgardsormr accepted we had the might (or physical strength) but was testing if we had the conviction and mental strength. Though it doesn't really come across the way they wanted and he comes across more as prick for no good reason.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I can't remember what I was thinking when he decided to take away my protection. I think I knew it was a challenge to improve myself, but that was so long ago... :(

He is a font of (snide) wisdom as the minion, tho.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

<been fighting proto-gods, armies, ancient world-destroying mecha, et al since hitting the ground running>
"LOL IMMA TEST YOU."
Thing is, it's even worse before the rework to the MSQ because before that it's heavily implied that outside the echo stopping you from being tempered*, the only active event Hydalean protected you from was Ultima, a giant nuke spell (that is never mentioned again). Even after the rework, she only had to save you from Lah-hee-brea. So, Excuuuuuuse me Princess if the WoL is struggling for some support every once in a blue moon when Elder Gods of Men are dropping nukes on her.

And I take issue with "wise master." Midgard into HW is kind of exposed as just winging it and making incredibly poor choices that screwed over his children. He's never EARNED anything. He's just old and it's implied dragons gain power with age naturally. He's not special, he's just old. And in fact comes from a race where days old children are capable of killing trained spoken warriors. Musosai (SAM) is the most genericy cliche version of this they put in the game, and he's done WAY better, and I GAF about him and his story.

It probably is cultural differences. Because to me, it's like giving shit to the average Action Movie hero who is protected by plot armor. Sure, yea, that's great. But these men (and women) are still putting in the work and getting shot/beating/stabbed etc. But Midgar acts like we're just dogshit without the BoL. And I don't need him over my shoulder saying dumb shit like "more people gonna die in the future. You will feel loss." You mean like when Nazis stormed my base and killed all my doods and I had to move the bodies?

He's annoying and pisses me off because it's like the authors screaming at me: "FEEL FEELINGS!" The writing was good enough to carry the emotional weight of what was happening without his monologuing. And the WoL should have had the option to stuff him in a bag when he was being annoying.

Obviously, we prove him 10000% wrong in HW. We get the blessing back and go from punching Proto-Gods to near-literal Gods. And I get he's prolly super-grumpy from "dieing" and waking up to some hoomans and his sons roars, so he's taking it out on us. But it doesn't make him any less an ass. In fact, it just explains why he's an ass. I'm not saying HW isn't ALSO about Midgard getting over his shit, but IMO: at the start, he's no better than the mortals he looks down on.

*In ARR, it's also stated Primals have to be actively trying to temper you and it's an "action" they do, not an aura. Ramuh, for example, has no interest in tempering men. The Sylphs who summoned him basically tempered themselves. And the Moogles seem to go back to normal once you punch King Mog. FFXIV is inconsistent in how tempering works.