Final Fantasy XIV

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-12 06:32pm :banghead: Since I had to re-install, not only was the HUD fucked up, all my Gear Sets were gone, all the Crossbars were back to default, and now I need help getting Summoner set up right because of all the buttons are "If (x) happens, switch to button to (y)", and I keep winding up with the same copy in two-three different spaces. :banghead:
Yeah such stuff is stored locally so you'll have to redo those in case of a reinstall, it's a pain, I'd help but I'm no expert on Summoner myself (plus I use the WoW style UI instead of the crossbar due to personal preference).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-03-08 08:41pm Main problem is I will have to get a new headphone set, because mine has the USB/Green/Pink audio plugs, and this laptop has a single plug
There are adapters too, I've found, though not all headsets come with them.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

FFXIV has an option to back your configs up to their cloud now. Should be at the top of the login screen. Failing that, it helps to backup: Documents > My Games > FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn > FFXIV_CHR<a whole bunch of numbers>

Each character you have logged in as on that PC will have their own folder full of .dat files for their gearsets and UI setup. You can just backup the folder (sans Screenshots if you need to save space) as the .cfg contain you other global settings.

I want to point out: thanks Squeenix for using the "My Games" folder like you should. Fuck you Blizzard.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I never told ya, but I did get a nice new headset.

SO... I've started the new 90+ Content. The dungeon was fun, did it with NPCs. But the Cutscene Afterward had me Squeeing because of the FF2/4 Flashback
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Outside the beggining of the expac IMO, the only weak part of the expac has been the current Normal Raids. The bosses look stupid, the music is boring and bad, and mechanics are just lazy rehashes with tons of raid-wide damage to keep the healers awake, and the whole storyline with it has yet to have any impact.

Versus the new Ally Raid which has relaxing ambiance music, turning into blood pumping mid-boss fight music, culminating into an endboss theme that sounds like we're fighting in a Disney Aladdin remake. The boss mechanics are interesting rehashes of mechanics, with at least one well thought out arena to fight in, and is generally way more cinematic. And the story immediately draws you in from the start without spilling the beans early.

Hey, YoshiP, spend some of those fuckin millions you're making and use more voice actors. JFC it's 2022. How has the dev team not realized how much of an impact audio plays with the audience when they tout how many fuckin' music awards they've won? You think nerds go around quoting SUCH DEVASTATION because they read it in a text box? The Ally raid is 10000% better solely due to the voice acting, even though it was already stellar.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The way I understood it the final fight music sounds the way it sound as it's suppose to be Ul'dan religious music and Spoiler
Nald'Thal the member of the twelve you fight in that fight are the guardian deities of Ul'dah (the twin gods mentioned in the song)
And Ul'dah is themed after the Middle East.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Not done the God Raids yet. I was wanting to complete the Radz-at-Han bit first.

TBH I have SO MANY RAIDS to catch up on, going back to the Triad at Alyz Lla. Then I can open the Extremes and get the Lanners and Wolves.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lotteries open back up (possibly) May 16th. We're scraping together the Gil for hopefully 2 bids on a Kugane Mansion. You never know!

The new PvP system is a hilarious trainwreck. It's unbalanced, low skill-ceiling, MOBA ult fest. It's actually fun, I think I'm going to farm the mounts this time. WHM lazors GO!
Lord Revan wrote: 2022-04-27 10:05pmAnd Ul'dah is themed after the Middle East.
That fairly overreaching there. Some nerd in my old FC talked about how it paralled the Ottoman Empire, but also had some more Roman influences. The thing is, it also has the Brass Blades combined with the Paladins, basically slamming in more Eureopean influences. Thavnair is way more stereotypically "Middle Eastern" which, as said is a pretty generic term. Even owing also to Ala'Mhigo or even the Anata, since the similarities between Emanation's Theme (Youtoob Link). Neither of these hold much in common with any of the themes in the Ul'Dah area. Mainly, no Ul'dah music I can think of uses a sitar, unlike Radz et al.

If anything, this would show how far Ul'Dah has moved from it's previous roots and became a melting pot society. Or, also likely, Soken wasn't willing to branch out too much in his early song creation. And in later expacs, either took the rope or was given said rope, to do whatever he wanted. And the music prospered because of it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My FC leaders were temporarily unsubscribed due to sudden emergency bills, but they'll be back on this weekend. We're hoping to get a Mansion as well.

Farming the Horses is rather easy, as it's all AAR trials. You could do that with two people Unsync, probably.
I got 3 lanners and 4 wolves from the Moogle Exchange, but the rest are all trials. I have to unlock Thordan EX, and all three Warring Triad EX for the Lanners, and I need 3 of the wolves from Tsukyami, Suzaku, and Seiryu Extremes.
Problem: I've not done the quests to unlock the Extremes, and I've not done the Warring Triad at all. I was more concerned with the MSQ than with side dungeons.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

You can solo all the HW EXs IIRC. I know I just did... Zurvan EX as WAR for my book. The ARR stuff is all easy to solo, you can nuke them easy with DNC or MCH at even 80. Hit me up for other garbo when/if they add cross server group stuff.
Cuz aw yea Spoiler
NOTE: Nightmare only drops from the OG 3: Garuda, Ifrit, Titan.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

They do pretty good with mixing up the cultural looks and stuff I think. Thavnair's an interesting blend of MIddle Eastern and Indian Subcontinental culture. Ishgard's very western European, primarily Frankish-French in presentation. Limsa's a proper melting pot and the Roegadyn in general, the Sea Wolves anyway, have that Norse feel (while Limsa's English-esque, though not too much?). The Garleans are kinda Russo-Roman? Like, their language, personal names, place names, etc., are all Latin, but their cuisine and native clothing style has a very Russian feel to it. And Gridania is generally kind of unique to me.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Steve wrote: 2022-04-30 03:34am They do pretty good with mixing up the cultural looks and stuff I think. Thavnair's an interesting blend of MIddle Eastern and Indian Subcontinental culture. Ishgard's very western European, primarily Frankish-French in presentation. Limsa's a proper melting pot and the Roegadyn in general, the Sea Wolves anyway, have that Norse feel (while Limsa's English-esque, though not too much?). The Garleans are kinda Russo-Roman? Like, their language, personal names, place names, etc., are all Latin, but their cuisine and native clothing style has a very Russian feel to it. And Gridania is generally kind of unique to me.
Gridania I think is "fantasy elf" culture look just without tree houses and such and yeah it's never just 1 thing, with the possible exception of the Far Eastern Cultures.

So Ul'dah is obviously a mix though their fashion and buildings are themed on the middle east.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-04-30 06:32am Gridania I think is "fantasy elf" culture look just without tree houses and such and yeah it's never just 1 thing, with the possible exception of the Far Eastern Cultures.

So Ul'dah is obviously a mix though their fashion and buildings are themed on the middle east.
Ul'Dah is Arabian Nights. Turkey, Persia, Ottoman Empire.
Thavnian is India Sub-continent.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ran into a problem trying to start my game from the Launcher:

"FFVIX LAUNCHER ERROR:
Unable to complete version update
[30426]19900[2]"

Tried to chat with Support, no support chat available. left email and got Ticket Number: 20092029

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

UPDATE:

It seems my ANti-virus decided to quarantine that particular .exe, and I didn't notice when it asked me if I wanted to 'delete quarantined files'.

Steve shared a copy of the file with me, and it's once again working. I'll be online playing tonight :)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I got tired of trying to Lvl my Dancer to finish the Ranged DPS Lvl 80 stuff, so I've been playing my Alt.

So far, she's a lvl 37 Monk, lvl 37 Bard, and I'm considering starting Marauder because I need a Tank and I want to see the storyline. I've always loved the Storylines FF builds.

(I did start her as a Rogue, but I got a lot of "ninja combos suck" feedback, so while I do have her at Lvl 30 Ninja, I may not take her further until I feel like exploring creating shortcuts for the combos.)

I've seen the storylines for White Mage and Scholar/Summoner, so I might wait for a Healer til Sage or Astrologian. But, eventually I'm going to make a "Nitram" character, so I have to save Gladiator/Paladin, Black Mage, Mechanist, and Sage for him. Because those are the ones that Nitram would have taken. Maybe Samurai for melee DPS.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Marauder/warrior storyline is rather variable in quality and without spoiling anything depends a lot on how you like certain characters and their relationships. Personally I didn't mind that (though I didn't really enjoy it either) but I've heard some people hated it.

While the rogue/ninja combos have gotten better (before Endwalker those were insane for doing even moderately decent damage) also IIRC Rogue is one of the few DPS were positionals matter a lot and messing those might break your combo (and thus screw over your DPS) that said my ninja isn't that high level.

Personally I've been leveling my Monk to get the job level to match with my Samurai so I can get rid of some older gear I don't like the look for (and thus won't use for glam), after I'm done with that I'm gonna either level my Black Mage maybe either Monk or Samurai to max I dunno yet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I went and started my Marauder last night. Had it up to level 13 within two hours.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

(all of this is IMO): WAR has never been fun. TBF: neither was PLD for quite a while, but its sheer amount of utility kept me playing it. And then the refactor came in for EW, and I mean: it's all I play tankwise right now. Which is good because STARTING EW, I was 35 clears to my WAR mount, now I'm at 285. I got both GNB mounts before I got my first WAR mount. That's how much I disliked WAR.

While everything but DRK has increased self-sustain, WAR is like:
1. Hit 62? and get Raw Intuition
2. GG

At.... 76? you get Nascent Glint. This essentially let's you put your "heal" on another player (and yourself) while only lacking the damage mitigation of Raw Intuition. So, for no resource usage, you can heal yourself and another player for the hits of 3 GCDs. So if you lose the healer, you can keep a single DPS up all the time, or even 2 if you have a melee and they are willing to Blood of Blood in the interim. While Clemency is always clutch, I mean, I gotta switch things up. WAR is no longer the braindead Mong tank it used to be.

So, spamming Mentor Roulette, I got tired of being synced down below 64 and not having Verraise. So, I channeled the Dark Gods and setup my SMN and learned it specifically so I can scrape people off the ground in all content. SMN is.... without a doubt, incredibly fun and well designed. And pretty much a prime example on how to do a priority based class. On demand, it cranks out tons of burst, both Single-Target and AOE, and you rarely find yourself in a bad spot unless you just get really (and I mean, REALLY) lazy.

For instance, if you sit on your Bahamut in Rath EX until he drops, your first two globals (and 2 weaved off globals) can clip his tail for over 50% of it's HP. I wouldn't be surprised if, when Bahamut/Phoenix is available, it's a DPS loss to instead LB2.

While it's a bit jank at lower levels because you have to be in combat for earlier Carbuncle shenanas, the class consistently just gets better as you go, and is honestly never "flat." It never gets bloated or mashy and there's no situation where sitting on a off-global is enough of a DPS loss to risk clipping your GCD, so as said: you never HAVE to mash. You can if you want.

42 clears away from my Mentor Mount. That is all.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SMN is a great DPS, yes. I enjoy playing it, although it took a while to get used to the new setup. My thing is "Storyline". I've already played through SMN/SCH to lvl 90, I know how the story goes, Why Repeat It?

So I'm trying something new, and I've got my Marauder through the lvl 30 quest. Was it a good story? Eh, it was ok at building the tension. Warrior storyline is intriguing, as I'm wondering if Curious Gorge's brother is going to be the "Demon Possessed" that summoned the Tortoises. I'm interested enough to keep going.

I also got to the point in the Monk quest where I'm questioning my mentor's motives. My Main has beat the Ala Mhiga questline. I've seen how far some of them were willing to go. I do not want to have to beat down my Mentor for going that far.

Bard has been interesting story-wise. I'm looking forward to seeing where the Mentor's going with his story.

I will probably pick up Red Mage for Magic DPS. I barely touched it on my Main, dropped it totally after a while because I felt I had too many Jobs to juggle, and SMN was doing my main Magic DPS. The Alt will need Tank, Melee DPS, Ranged SPD, Magic DPS, and Healer. This is a good time to do the ones I've not done, while saving the ones I want for the third Alt I'll get around to eventually. That one will be Nitram, so GLA/PAL, BM, Mechanist, Samurai, and probably Sage.

Because I want to see the STORIES.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

ImageBooyah
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Is that the horse?!?!?!?!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

o7. I dunno if it was worth it.... but it's done.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2022-06-05 12:16am o7. I dunno if it was worth it.... but it's done.
As a Big FAN of Alicorns since I was tiny -- IT'D BE WORTH IT..

But... I have the head horse... it's a golden unicorn. So WHERE did you get THAT ONE?

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

2000 clears of Mentor Roulette.