Jedi Academy (JKA) PC dedicated server, all welcome 2020

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Jedi Academy (JKA) PC dedicated server, all welcome 2020

Post by Kurgan »

Cut right to the chase, it's back, join whenever you want: 103.214.111.34:11015

Long ago, I hosted a 24/7, dedicated PC server for Jedi Academy entitled the Meatgrinder. The idea behind it was that at the time, most of the servers out there were exclusively devoted to Dueling, to abusive "admin mods," or to Role Playing instead of fighting, or they belonged to some "Clan" and you were out of luck if you weren't in one. So my server was going to be as close to the base game as possible, using game modes that were getting neglected, namely Siege and CTF. I quickly started using OJP Basic, because it was a tiny mod, that improved the bots a lot (especially in team based modes like Siege) and didn't introduce any major issues like the aforementioned mods. My server and Amidala's Chop Chop were some of the longest running and last bastions of this style of play for a long time.

I ran through many server hosts, the last one being EscapedTurkey. After many years of being a grown-up it became harder to manage so it went dormant for awhile, much like JediKnight.Net where it first originated. JKA was a small community.

Fast forward to today, around the time of the pandemic I got nostalgic and restarted the old Meatgrinder through Vilayer. I had so many problems with the host though I ended the relationship after just a couple of months and it went dormant again until I could find a new host. I tried GorillaNerd (the successor of EscapedTurkey) which went nowhere, ditto with MarkMods, etc. Finally I settled on BlueFangSolutions. This isn't an ad for them just a shout out after finally settling on a stable host! Once again most of the servers out there are sabers only, often with force disabled, or running exclusively the bloated "Movie Battles II" mod (which, is impressive, but not my cup of tea).

All are welcome to join us. We're just into playing the base game, nothing crazy. I have mods on there but usually they're not even running so all you might need would be OJP Basic and maybe a small cosmetic fix like the Jawa file (so you can see Jawas the right color in team games).
103.214.111.34:11015

Basic server rotation now is Siege and CTF, with breaks in between for FFA, and "mayhem" rounds (FFA played on the duel maps, which results in a bloody melee!!!). I am able to hop on during the weekend, if I'm home. This is fully compatible with the Steam version, but sadly players on Switch/PS4/Xbox won't be able to join.

PS: Please message me if you can't get on, if the server appears to be down, etc. Note the time and date. I tend to just leave it alone unless I see a problem and will reset it as soon as I can.
Last edited by Kurgan on 2020-06-27 03:54pm, edited 5 times in total.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Re: Jedi Academy (JKA) PC dedicated server, all welcome 2020

Post by Kurgan »

Here's the archived version of my old mods page, if you need any of the files. Actually looking back I started this even before the pandemic, Sept 2019, how time flies!

If you do play and have a good time, I'd love to hear about it, post screenshots, etc. MTFBWY!
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tempting....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I restarted the server recently. You may be able to call vote to change the map possibly gametype if you want, too.

JKA Server 2024
JakeWarm
Redshirt

Post by JakeWarm »

Great story! Is the server still on? I'd like to join.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Yes it absolutely is still up (and paid for) so feel free to join us anytime! And before I hear someone yell "it's just bots!" I have checked the logs and many people join throughout each day, they just aren't all necessarily on at the same time, unless they coordinate so keep that in mind.

The only way to ensure that the server is full or near full at all times is to use MovieBattles II Mod, which I refuse to do. I think it's overrated, and a bit clunky to run online. There are plenty of other servers if you want to play that sort of thing of course (same if you want to use JA+ to role play or whatever). This server is just meant for killin' and blastin' more or less old school classic gameplay whenever possible.

Enjoy!

JKA Server 2024
JakeWarm
Redshirt

Post by JakeWarm »

Generally speaking, while a good web host cannot necessarily get your website listed higher, a bad host can ruin your credit with search engines such as Google and other big search engines.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

The server doesn't rely upon web searches, only on people polling the JKA server listing, but mostly invites I've posted here, on steam and shared with friends. Google can fall off the edge of the internet for all I care.

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I recently renewed the server for another year, so if anybody tried to get in but couldn't, it's back up at the same IP and port as before. Enjoy!

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I realize the title is a bit outdated since we're well into 2021, but the server is BACK UP as of this writing, after having been unavailable for a little bit (sorry about that, I hadn't checked on it in a few days).

Remember, it's not using the default Jedi Academy port, so if you can't find it, that's why! You'll want to create a new favorite and enter it manually as in the OP above. Change the filter to "favorite" and refresh. Some tinkering may be required if you're using the steam version, but not too much and if you read the tutorials on their forums you should be able to find it without any trouble.

Siege, CTF, FFA and some duel maps (in ffa mode) in between for fun!

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Restarted the server again. You can view the status and who is on, etc. via Qtracker (or whatever else people use these days to view servers outside the game)

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I was on vacation for 18 days, so back & restarted the server which was down (sorry about that).

I'm mourning the loss of JKhub.net (the dark forces ii editing site, not the server page that is still up). If anybody has their old files, you may want to contact the web admin.

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Re: Jedi Academy (JKA) PC dedicated server, all welcome 2021+

Post by Kurgan »

Image Testing the new tracker in 2021

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Fixed the tracker... sorry folks, looks like when I updated my subscription there was some down time, should be working again at the same IP/port. All are welcome for some Jedi Academy action in 2022!

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

The IP address changed due to a server migration from the host:

104.192.227.218:11015

(port is the same) The Tracker will be updated when possible but it should be joinable again!

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

They moved my server again! The new IP is: 63.143.56.42 (port is still 11015 )

up now!

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

The server is back... new IP: 63.143.56.42 (port: 11015 )

(the tracker is a pain to update, so I suggest adding the IP to a program like Qtracker or just save into your favorites within Jedi Academy)

JKA Server 2024