Computer won't start.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Computer won't start.

Post by Enigma »

I'm having issues with my father in law's computer. Yesterday, the power flickered in the house and his computer shut down. But now it won't boot up. It's dead quiet with only the PSU's LED glowing green. Is it toasted?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Computer won't start.

Post by bilateralrope »

I've sometimes had my computer not start until I change which socket of the power strip I've plugged it into. Then later it happened again and I fixed it by changing back to the first one. I don't know why that worked, but it did. It can't hurt to try.

Though I suspect that something in the computer is broken.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Sounds like the power supply unit is toast.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Replaced the PSU. It booted up and it was running for about ten minutes before dying again. It won't boot up, no fans running, dead quiet. Possibly blew the replacement PSU. Back to square one.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

It's been a while since I took the case off a computer; do PSUs still have fuses? That's what I'd check first, in a suspected "new PSU blown" situation. There might be a short or ground somewhere.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2019-07-06 11:14pm It's been a while since I took the case off a computer; do PSUs still have fuses? That's what I'd check first, in a suspected "new PSU blown" situation. There might be a short or ground somewhere.
When I assembled mine there weren't any obvious fuses visible but then I wasn't actively searching for a cover or something like that, the PSU I got is this big black box with a power switch on it.

Though if the PC bricked (or so it seems) a brand new PSU there's probably some other issue and bricking the PSU is just a symptom of that issue.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So what's killing it? Bad motherboard?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Enigma wrote: 2019-07-07 10:18am So what's killing it? Bad motherboard?
Based on your descriptions that is hard to say. I'd have to actually look at it to tell you anything for sure. However, if putting in a new power supply immediately bricks it then the problem has to be on the motherboard somewhere. A power surge can cause damage almost anywhere so you might not be able to locate the actual problem.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!