Weird computer problem

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Weird computer problem

Post by Batman »

Recently my PC started randomly beeping at me. That's nominally okay, they're supposed to do that when something is wrong, only I changed nothing about the system, and the really weird thing is 'it goes on doing that when nominally off'. Not PSU turned off/cord unplugged off of course (that would have me VERY worried) but it does it when it's switched off, which is why I originally blamed the sound on the TV (which was actually on at the time, unlike the PC)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Weird computer problem

Post by TheFeniX »

So, it's been sitting off for a while and beeps randomly? Or beeps in and around the time it's been shut off? If it's the latter, it could be your PC is overheating and you're getting danger beeps. You could also have some kind of random CMOS error, possibly caused by incorrect voltage coming from your PSU.

You may need to run something like CPUTemp and check your voltages in BIOS.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Voltage problems/overtemp/fan failure etc beeps are something you expect. Not hope for of course but know can happen. The damn thing started and kept on beeping hours after it was turned off
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Must be something on the motherboard if it keeps beeping... Probalby a cpu overheat? Get a thermometer and check?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

How can the CPU overheat when the thing isn't even on?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Try unplugging it entirely the next time you turn it off, wait awhile (like a few hours or overnight maybe) and then cycle it on/off and see what happens.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-18 03:15am Voltage problems/overtemp/fan failure etc beeps are something you expect. Not hope for of course but know can happen. The damn thing started and kept on beeping hours after it was turned off
What brand PC/board do you have?

It is possible your CMOS configuration has become corrupt. I would reset the BIOS either by using the jumper method or if your board support reset with BIOS/UEFI. You may also look into a BIOS update. These are likely your two best starting options.

The next thing is checking your BIOS setting for any lingering issues. I have had issues with beeps when an old mainboard wasn't able to detect that my CPU fan was running (even though it was) and it would throw beeps at me due to CPU FAN FAILURE. I had to disable monitoring of that particular fan in BIOS.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Things are staying weird. A single beep (while the PC was nominally off) and nothing since I actually fired it up. Both fans appear to be working as they should. Don't have any documentation on this rig, I bought it cheap (and preinstalled, never doing that again) on amazon. Will try to note down the BIOS data next time I reboot
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Which "off" is it? Did you just go through the normal shutdown from the Start menu, or did you follow that up with turning an actual physical switch (on the CPU box/power bar/wall socket) to isolate the power? Something might have glitched to allow power to flow somewhere even after a shutdown.

FWIW, when I shutdown all the USB plugged in external drives also shut down; the only things still running that I have to manually turn off are the monitor and router.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Off as in I told it to shut down, and have to press the very physical Power On button to make it run again
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-20 06:55pm Off as in I told it to shut down, and have to press the very physical Power On button to make it run again
Well that's more of a "stand by" mode in most modern PCs, for me when I do that there's still lights lit on the motherboard so clearly power is going to the device. Even though all programs are shut down and nothing is running (besides the lights that is).

I would recomend that you unplug computer fully from the wall and see if it is still beeping. If it's still beeping with no physical way of power getting to the components then there's something odd happening.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n