So... A DND friend is trying to turn STGOD into a 'real' game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

So... A DND friend is trying to turn STGOD into a 'real' game

Post by Crossroads Inc. » 2018-10-12 02:07am

Ok so...Yeah, hear me out on this.

About two months ago, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a HARD CORE DND player as well as overall "Numbers" nerd, who designs games in his spare time. I was waxing wistfully about the Good Ol Days of our STGOD's, how they worked and how free and liberating they were for Role Play purposes. Well, as I said that was about Two months ago.
Two days ago, I get an email from him with this google-Doc link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tnY ... sp=sharing

It was apparently a "Work in progress" of a what he says is a marketable version of the STGOD concept... AND IT'S OVER THIRTY PAGES LONG!!!
Not sure if he is missing the concept of our free spirited game. But was damned impress with what he is laying out!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: So... A DND friend is trying to turn STGOD into a 'real' game

Post by madd0ct0r » 2018-10-12 03:35am

Have you checked he is ok with you sharing it?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. » 2018-10-12 10:57am

Oh yeah I probably;y should mention that.
Yeah part of why he shared it with me in the first place was specifically to share it here to get peoples opinions of it.
He wanted to make sure no one would feel like he was stealing their ideas.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer » 2018-10-16 05:50am

Lol he's certainly not stealing the idea of a STGOD by having 33 pages of rules and everything laid out in less then ideal points charts, and notes that this is apparently not the limit of the planned rules!

This feels a bit like the perfect combination of math and not detailed enough to not be useful to anyone who would actually be willing to read 33 pages of rules though. It doesn't encourage developing unique civilizations with unique advantages, the points system is far too simple for that, yet this is what propelled the good STGODs forward, and it doesn't really let you play by the book either. Maybe that'd change with his full game guide. I can see how someone who has never physically seen a STGOD might come up with rules like this though, a valiant effort to ride down the Russian guns.

The most successful STGOD style games have all been ones where the people participating knew each other fairly well, so that they could be a dick, but not go too far, and be curbed by the others in a similar manner. The point of structure was that nothing you did could be a complete ass pull unlike a TGOD which was all about who could come up with the most outlandish ass pull. But if you make everything play wise static enough at a certain point you must realize you are no longer trying to play even a casual game. Your really just doing this as collaborative writing. That can be fun too, but it's not the same thing and it doesn't need rules at all, which probably would restore the fun factor too.

Luckily we've elected a grand master of TGOD gameplay to LARP being president of the United States so atl east everyone knows how that works now!

Anyway, not that this is relevant, but the scary thing is some insane people still use ASVS last I checked. I dunno how many of us from those days, and I was barely a part, are still around but lol at how long this has all lasted. Not what I expected when it helped me get through some real tough days back in Middle School.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r » 2018-10-16 09:46am

I've printed it, will read and give feedback at somepoint.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee