What game are you playing

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

tabla
Redshirt

What game are you playing

Post by tabla »

Thread title says it all.

For me, I started playing Tales of the Monkey Island last night and finished episode 1 in about 3.3 hrs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: What game are you playing

Post by Tribble »

I just started playing... Mechwarrior 4 of all things. I'd play MW2 but my computer wont run it.

I'm just about getting to the part where my uncle bites the dust because of the fat guy's right-hand douchebag, can't remember their names atm.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I've been alternating between Crusader Kings 2 and the Risk* PC game made by Hasbro in 1996, which is a surprisingly simple and fun game (with some modifications to the generic Risk rules to make for more varied combat, and the option to essentially play the Napoleonic Wars).

* Note that there are several other Risk computer games that came out during the same time period, most of which were not very good, but I maintain the specific Hasbro title from 2000 with its "Scenario" mode stands the test of time.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-09-06 08:41pm I've been alternating between Crusader Kings 2 and the Risk* PC game made by Hasbro in 1996, which is a surprisingly simple and fun game (with some modifications to the generic Risk rules to make for more varied combat, and the option to essentially play the Napoleonic Wars).

* Note that there are several other Risk computer games that came out during the same time period, most of which were not very good, but I maintain the specific Hasbro title from 2000 with its "Scenario" mode stands the test of time.
Thats the one where you can have generals, forts and tactics, right? How are you getting it to run? I have that disc somewhere and I'd like to play it sometime.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The digital version of Scythe just launched. If you like work placement and resource management games you'll very likely enjoy Scythe.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Tribble wrote: 2018-09-06 09:50pm Thats the one where you can have generals, forts and tactics, right? How are you getting it to run? I have that disc somewhere and I'd like to play it sometime.
That's the one! One of my computers still has Windows Vista installed (well, technically it has a virtual machine that runs Windows Vista, but same idea), and the disc still runs on that without issue.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

No Man sky and Battlefield 5 open beta, bouncing between the two.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm bouncing between a very good mod for SW: Empire at War, and of all things SW Episode 1 Racer. How they made a fun game out of a fairly short section of the film I don't know, but it's very enjoyable. It's right up there with Republic Commando as my favourite SW game.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Racer was the shit. Being able to customize your podracer, the various environments, and all that... yeah, it was pretty awesome.

I'm faffing about a bit with Space Marine since it just came my way free via the Humble Bundle deal. It's pretty okay.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I used to play World of Tanks a lot, but haven't for quite a while. Now, I only play Elite:Dangerous
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Elite:Dangerous, where I've been exploring the galaxy on and off for the last month. And Pokemon Go, where I just finished the Celebi research.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I've been playing Elite: Dangerous as well. A tad upset about what happened with the Gnosis, though it's given me reason to explore.

Also some very modded Fallout 4 but it's not as stable as I would like.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Stellaris with all of the new updates and features - haven't played it since last year. Getting to grips nicely with it and have settled back into my groove of "fair but firmly cruel galactic imperium" :angelic:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Fallout 4 and Zombie Solitaire 2 Chapter 2.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-09-07 12:40pm I'm bouncing between a very good mod for SW: Empire at War, and of all things SW Episode 1 Racer. How they made a fun game out of a fairly short section of the film I don't know, but it's very enjoyable. It's right up there with Republic Commando as my favourite SW game.
I really need to get back into EaW, and try out some good mods. The vanilla game got old fast, but... there was some seriously wasted potential there.

Damn I wish they'd make a new Star Wars strategy game.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Just finished Breath of the Wild. Beautiful game. Best Zelda game, I think, even if it has flaws.

It's the last game I'll play.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Iroscato wrote: 2018-09-08 04:27am Stellaris with all of the new updates and features - haven't played it since last year. Getting to grips nicely with it and have settled back into my groove of "fair but firmly cruel galactic imperium" :angelic:
Amen, brother. Being able to enslave political prisoners is so damn useful.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

CatGirl Simulator (AKA: FFXIV). Finally unlocked the last raid tier. Whole thing is an homage (ripoff) to FF6. The preceding tier being one to FF5.

Kefka fight is massively underwhelming. Maybe the Hard Mode version is better, but I'm not too interested in such things at this point.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-09-06 08:41pm I've been alternating between Crusader Kings 2 and the Risk* PC game made by Hasbro in 1996, which is a surprisingly simple and fun game (with some modifications to the generic Risk rules to make for more varied combat, and the option to essentially play the Napoleonic Wars).
I keep trying to get into Crusader Kings II. I like what it's doing, but its too much reading in bad font to be relaxing which was kind of part of my point of wanting to play a turn based game again. Maybe try again later this week, but my attempts are getting sparser.

Otherwise aside from trying random indie games, Battlefield 1 for action and War Thunder for grind are good at filling time when its raining too much to go out. Which has been about 10 of the past 11 weekends.

I was playing Path of Exile for a while in the summer, if anyone needs a free RPG it's pretty good.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So I finished MW4 and decided not to leave my character's sister to die cause I'm nice like that. Note that's the non canon ending as IIRC MW4 mercenaries implied my character ended up letting her die, took over the place and ruled with an iron fist. Oh well.

Took me awhile to figure out how to beat the last level though. My solution: a mech that was nothing more than Gauss rifles surrounded by armour. Only downside was that it had a top speed of ~20km/h, but it was still fast enough to blow shit up within the time limit.

Plus it helped to have my cannon fodder around. I made sure that whiny chick (seriously she was always crying and needing emotional support so it kinda got on my nerves after awhile) was the first one out of the gate to serve as my meat shield, and it worked out quite well. Unfortunately her ejector seat worked so my character will be stuck with her for all eternity.

Also the guy who kinda reminded me of Tom Paris did a pretty good job and took out a couple of mechs on his own. Bastard kept trying to steal my kills though, so I "accidentally" shot him in the back with a salvo of gauss rifles and put him out of his misery.

Hmm, that might explain why I was having trouble with this level. :P

Anyways, all in all a decent game, but MW2 is still my favorite.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I wouldn't mind finding a decent BT game. I tried Mechwarrior Online but for some reason it was less prepossessing than I remember the only MW game I've ever played being, which I want to say might have been 3 or 4. IIRC in the course of that game Natasha Kerensky killed Anton Marik, if that helps for figuring out which game it was.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 01:04pm I wouldn't mind finding a decent BT game. I tried Mechwarrior Online but for some reason it was less prepossessing than I remember the only MW game I've ever played being, which I want to say might have been 3 or 4. IIRC in the course of that game Natasha Kerensky killed Anton Marik, if that helps for figuring out which game it was.
IIRC Natasha Kerensky died near the end of the Refusal War, which would be during MW2.

IIRC MW3 was the Inner Sphere's campaign against the clans.

MW4 is when Katrina Steiner takes over a planet and your character is trying to take it back.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

MW2 rings a bell. Of course this was yonks ago, so who knows. I just know there was a lot of Wolf vs Jade Falcon stuff going in the game.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 02:55pm MW2 rings a bell. Of course this was yonks ago, so who knows. I just know there was a lot of Wolf vs Jade Falcon stuff going in the game.
Probably MW2 then as the game is about the Refusal War between Wolf and Jade Falcon.

Also the first CD game I had... for DOS!

If you still have the disc you can put it into a CD player for the soundtrack; its pretty awesome.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tribble wrote: 2018-09-18 03:07pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 02:55pm MW2 rings a bell. Of course this was yonks ago, so who knows. I just know there was a lot of Wolf vs Jade Falcon stuff going in the game.
Probably MW2 then as the game is about the Refusal War between Wolf and Jade Falcon.

Also the first CD game I had... for DOS!

If you still have the disc you can put it into a CD player for the soundtrack; its pretty awesome.
Nice. I'll have to see if I can dig up a CD somewhere. Maybe Ebay. I bet there's a Win98 emulator that can run it out there...

There are so many old games I'd love to have again, man. Emperor: Battle for Dune, for one. Warcraft 2 (never played 1).