What game are you playing

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: What game are you playing

Post by Tribble »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 04:10pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-09-18 03:07pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 02:55pm MW2 rings a bell. Of course this was yonks ago, so who knows. I just know there was a lot of Wolf vs Jade Falcon stuff going in the game.
Probably MW2 then as the game is about the Refusal War between Wolf and Jade Falcon.

Also the first CD game I had... for DOS!

If you still have the disc you can put it into a CD player for the soundtrack; its pretty awesome.
Nice. I'll have to see if I can dig up a CD somewhere. Maybe Ebay. I bet there's a Win98 emulator that can run it out there...

There are so many old games I'd love to have again, man. Emperor: Battle for Dune, for one. Warcraft 2 (never played 1).
An Empire Deluxe port is available on Steam now. Its pretty fleshed out, you can customize the hell out of it and the AI plays well. I might give that a go next.

Either that or CK2. While I cant rival Thanas' adventure, last time I played I ended up being an African princess that married the Welsh King, took over his kingdom after he died (as alas all of his heirs suffered horrible accidents) then went on to conquer the whole British Isles. Historical accuracy was kind of absent that game, but was a lot of fun. :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I just finished Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It was... look, the game's absolutely gorgeous, the melee system is genuinely neat, and I love most of the attention-to-detail and attempts-at-realism aspects the developers included, but it somehow didn't really click. Possibly because the story feels like (and is, apparently) about 2/3rds complete? Anyway the game felt like less than the sum of its parts, if that makes sense.

I do unambiguously love Pebbles the horse, though.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Zanfib
Redshirt

Post by Zanfib »

Two Point Hospital is my current obsession. It's flawed, but still a lot of fun.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Would 'a little of everything' be prudent?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Currently deeply engrossed in WArhammer 40000: Inquisitor - Martyr. Only got it last weekend as a late Xmas present from my brother, but damn is it fun. Something different as I haven't really played a proper PC RPG before, it makes a fun change from Empire at WAr or Sins of a Solar Empire or Homeworld mods.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Skyrim SE.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Night in the Woods. Existential horror is fun.

Also playing ARK Survival Evolved again for some reason
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS4, and having another crack at Stellaris on my PC. Enjoying Horizon a great deal, probably my second favourite PS4 game after God of War.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Magic:TheGathering -- ARENA (online)

Friends at my game shop were talking about it for months, and one of them even live-streams his games, but I thought it was Pay-to-play. I was wrong. It's Free, with optional purchase of 'gems' to buy new booster packs. The current editions available are Ixalan/Rivals of Ixalan, Core 2019, and Guilds/Alliances of Ravnica.
However, if you're like me with a lot of time to waste, you can complete enough of the daily quests to earn the coin to buy a booster pack, as well as earn individual cards. The quests are usually not that challenging: "Play (x number) of (this color) spells" is one example. Another is "Win 15 games in a week", which I managed to do yesterday within 3hrs. You also may win a complete, play-ready Deck, just for playing that day. I usually go tweak it a bit, because I'm an old gamer who prefers not to play a lot of 5-6 mana cost cards.

If anyone else is playing, LadyTevar challenges you!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I got a free copy of AvP2010 courtesy of someone on the SDN Discord.

It's pretty decent so far. Having never played the original AvP games besides a demo of (I think) AvP2 back in the day, it captures the spirit of the games well enough. I still say the Marine levels are way too dark though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Been playing FF14 and STO lately. In other news can anyone give me an invite link to the SDN discord?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Commenced Kingdom Hearts 3 tonight before work. Gorgeous game, simply superb.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, set during the 13th Black Crusade. Spire's come back from an 800-year vacation in the Warp to find the fecal matter has really hit the oscillation, and is now fighting Necrons, Eldar, Tyranids, Orks, and, of course, Abbadon to save the Imperium. Fascinating and frustrating as hell, in a similar fashion all 4X strategy games are(I want to just build spaceships and get down to the Xtermination part of the game), and some of the special abilities from the first BFGA are nerfed, but, all in all, I like the game so far.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Been putting in some hard time in Fallout 4 and Kingdom Come Deliverance.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Just started playing Fallout: Tactics again
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Still only Elite:Dangerous.
Feel slightly bad because I have yet to be part of the Void Opal gold rush and I fear it's getting too late.

After I reinstalled the system, I haven't even bothered to install World of Tanks.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Been digging past the bottom of the barrel coop-wise since we took turns both annihilating and being annihilated by Divinty 2 OS.

Alien: CM: whoa boy. Finally beat all the campaigns, even season pass stuff. All of which retcons the FUCK out of Aliens and Alien 3. Michael Bein even came back to voice act this shitheap. We were however able to make the .ini change that fixes the broken AI. Game is still terrible, but... coops.

Um... Synergy and... the other coop mod for Half-Life 1 and 2 and expansions. HL1 is so dated with cheap deaths, but is still fun coops. It's thankfully the High-res edition of HL1, so it's not just a blobbly mess of 128x128 textures.

System Shock 2: open up MORE ports on that router baby! Even more dated and hard as Balls, in coop there is at least a bunch of hilarious shenanigans to get involved in. Best fun is only one player ending up with a wrench because calling coop an after-thought would be generous, so we had to console in an extra wrench. This is how bad it is: cheating to add in the base weapon.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: The video game version of a supposedly popular card came. General Capeshit in CCG format. Based off "Archenemy" from Magic, however the Villains are "dumb" in that all their mechanics are handled via stereo instruction text, meaning you do not need an actual player to run the villain since there is no decision making other than "who takes damage if life is = WRT two cards." This means more coop, but outside RNG the gameplay isn't all that emergent.

But it's got a variant for "Not Superman" that turns him into "Not Power Girl:" BEST GAME!

We bought Black Desert Online (AKA: Ultimate Waifu simulator and a black hole for your wallet). Haven't played much, solid waifus, game is well optimized for what it is, some tech issues though and HOLY SHIT the store is ridiculous.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen: Japan and their titles. Not as bad as Warhammer titles, but freakin' up there. I went magic pew pews for hard mode. Has the standard "Japan" garbage UI with 9 menus needed to do the job of 2 and other annoyances. Plays pretty well. Also teaches us a valuable lesson 60 seconds in: Attack a Dragon while unarmored using only a sword you found lying on the ground. Sure, you might get your heart ripped out of your chest but you'll get super-powers, immediate respect, and an army of unquestioning minions. Japan truly teaching us the best life lessons.

MKX: another sale. Running my old main Kitana. Same basic concept of a character as from MK2: Zone fools out, punish dives, bath in the tears of rage. Now if I could stop dropping my combo after 3 freakin' hits.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm playing through Mass Effect Andromeda right now. Comparing it to the launch complaints:
- I'm not seeing the bugs people were complaining about. I guess that's an advantage of waiting for the 75% off sale.
- So far the story and characters seem decent.
- Lots of loading screens or transition cutscenes that are presumably hiding loading screens. Even on a SSD, I've had some doors on my ship have a noticeable delay opening, so I'm assuming they are trying to hide the loading of the room beyond.

Though it does lean too heavily into the open world + survival meters + "crafting" that has been making its way into a lot of games lately. Somehow we lost the 3d printers of ME2 and 3.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Also, thermal clips have become a bigger failure of environmental storytelling than they were in 2 and 3.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-02-27 10:54pm - I'm not seeing the bugs people were complaining about.
It's been almost 2 years and 7 post-release patches for Single-Player. One would hope even the hollowed out husk of Bioware could get it right in that amount of time.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gotten into the Dragon Age series recently (I learned about it from SFDebris' review of it, and decided to check it out). And this is probably just because I don't play horror games in general, but the Korcari Wilds and Ostagar are some of the spookiest places I've ever encountered in a game (so far). Not scary. Just... spooky. Well done on the world-building.

Also playing Medieval II: Total War.

Definitely a Medieval theme with me these days, although on some level I suspect these are just substitutes for what I really want, which is a good Game of Thrones game. ;)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

Rom, Crusader Kings 2 with A Game Of Thrones mod is the best that I've seen out there. Also, CK2 has just good Medieval vibe going for it.

As for me, Slay the Spire and MtG:Arena have been my go to games of late, mostly just for being busy with work.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DaZergRock54444 wrote: 2019-03-19 02:32pm Rom, Crusader Kings 2 with A Game Of Thrones mod is the best that I've seen out there. Also, CK2 has just good Medieval vibe going for it.

As for me, Slay the Spire and MtG:Arena have been my go to games of late, mostly just for being busy with work.
I tried Crusader Kings once, but found it a little hard to get into. Maybe I should give it another shot though.

I have heard it has a good GoT mod or two, yeah. Though I'd still like something a bit more real-time tactical or RPG-ish, as well.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

Ah. Yeah, it has a bit of a learning curve (cliff), but there is a bit of the AAR RPG stuff with the core Paradox titles.

For an excellent example, Thanas' runs in CK2, EU4, and Victoria 2.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DaZergRock54444 wrote: 2019-03-19 05:13pm Ah. Yeah, it has a bit of a learning curve (cliff), but there is a bit of the AAR RPG stuff with the core Paradox titles.

For an excellent example, Thanas' runs in CK2, EU4, and Victoria 2.
Thanas' threads were pretty much where I found out about Crusader Kings to begin with. :)