Lets Play: Elon Musk, the Game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Lets Play: Elon Musk, the Game

Post by madd0ct0r »

Based on: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... _the_game/

First five people to respond are the first round. I will DM all of you. One of you will DM'd to be told you are Elon Musk. The rest of you will recieve an identical headline, pertaining to a dramatic story. The scope and importance of the story doesn't matter. Valid titles are "Global Warming Will Kill Us All!", "Puking Cats Are Destroying Carpets Across the Country", "School Soccer Team Trapped in Flooded Cave"

Now what we have is a Journalist whom everyone knows (me) and Billionaires, one of which is Elon Musk. Which of the Billionaires is Elon is known only by Elon and the Journalist.. Everyone except Elon knows the title of a dramatic story for which the World aches for a solution. The Billionaires takes turns in suggesting their solutions to the problem. Just post when you can. The thing is that they're Cool Billionaires so every solution must be no longer than three words, and if it *is* three words then at least one must be a preposition or a conjunction. For example: "Mini-submarine", "Umbrella of mirrors", "Robotic cat". So, of course since Elon doesn't know the problem he tries his best. If it so happens that he's last, he may successfully reverse-engineer the problem based on the others' solutions. If he happens to be first, then it's a pure lottery for him, so if you go first, you prove you aren't Elon (or do you?)

After every Billionaire has proposed their solution, the Journalist announces the title in front of everyone and then everybody has a discussion trying to find out who Elon is. Showing your sheet of paper is, of course, not allowed. If they successfully guess who Elon is, Elon gets a negative point. If they guess wrong, everybody gets a negative point, except Elon, who gets a positive one.

Next round, a different person is Elon Musk (or are they).

New players can mix in at the end of each round.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Lets Play: Elon Musk, the Game

Post by Jub »

Sounds like fun. I'm in.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Sure why not lol.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'll give it a shot.
Tvpnbb
Redshirt

Post by Tvpnbb »

Count me in.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

good enough. first round started. check your inboxes.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

'Licensed-only highways'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

"1-million segways"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tvpnbb
Redshirt

Post by Tvpnbb »

"Passenger drones"
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

"Lithium-Ion Cyberlegs"
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

All players have posted. Who do you all think is Elon Musk? (Peanut gallery welcome to join in too)
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I think Tribble is Elon Musk.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-08-28 05:04am All players have posted. Who do you all think is Elon Musk? (Peanut gallery welcome to join in too)
Are you not supposed to tell us the headline now?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Technically everybody but Elon should already know the headline. The only reason to reveal it is so Elon can try to hide in the debate stage of the guessing.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-08-28 07:41am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-08-28 05:04am All players have posted. Who do you all think is Elon Musk? (Peanut gallery welcome to join in too)
Are you not supposed to tell us the headline now?
No, you're right I am. Bad Journalist! Fake News Fake News!

The Headline was
"Every 6th autorickshaw in Mumbai illegal, unions demand crackdown"
(taken from Time of India)

Proposed solutions:

Jub » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:24 pm "Lithium-Ion Cyberlegs"
Tvpnbb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:23 pm "Passenger drones"
Tribble » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:52 pm "1-million segways"
FaxModem1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:48 pm 'Licensed-only highways'

:?:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I think Jub is Elon Musk, and not just because he accused me first :P

Not only did Fax Modem respond first, the response seemed to be the closest to an actual solution. Hence he is the least likely to be Elon Musk IMO.

My solution as well as Tvpnbb's solution are at least related to transportation, which is why I don't think that either of us are Elon Musk.

While certainly the most amusing, Jub's lithion-ion cyber legs seems to be the least-fitting solution to the problem. Being billionaires all of our solutions are outlandish, but Jub's almost seems to be addressing a different problem entirely (perhaps helping the disabled?) The reverse engineering was close, but not quite on the mark IMO.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The question is - does any of these solutions actually do something about any conceivable problem related to the headline?
Jub is questionable. His solution would make all of them obsolete. But it is kinda close enough to the problem...
TVBNBB has the same aproach, but it also kind of plays into the theme. His idea is also using the passenger concept.
Tribble also fits the same theme. 1 million tells me he knew about the scale of the problem (Mumbai...)
FAxModem's idea is completely random. License only highways do not do anything inside a town with a problem of unlicensed taxis - but on the other hand, it's FaxModem... :D But still, it's close enough to the problem that as a first poster with no clue, he should not have gotten that close...

I believe it's JUB. His idea is the only one which focuses on transport, but he had no reference to passenger transport or the scale. Also, he proposed better legs instead of some regulation or vehicle.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-08-28 10:46am The question is - does any of these solutions actually do something about any conceivable problem related to the headline?
Jub is questionable. His solution would make all of them obsolete. But it is kinda close enough to the problem...
TVBNBB has the same aproach, but it also kind of plays into the theme. His idea is also using the passenger concept.
Tribble also fits the same theme. 1 million tells me he knew about the scale of the problem (Mumbai...)
FAxModem's idea is completely random. License only highways do not do anything inside a town with a problem of unlicensed taxis - but on the other hand, it's FaxModem... :D But still, it's close enough to the problem that as a first poster with no clue, he should not have gotten that close...
Good to know that I have a reputation. Now if only I knew what that reputation was.... :P
I believe it's JUB. His idea is the only one which focuses on transport, but he had no reference to passenger transport or the scale. Also, he proposed better legs instead of some regulation or vehicle.
At first I thought it was Tribble, due to the idea of segways being the solution, but then I thought the answer was like mine, something an ill-informed answer chosen purposely to be stupid because I'm an apathetic billionaire.

But the robot leg sounds like the wackiest one from the problem, so I choose Jub as Elon Musk.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Jub wrote: 2018-08-23 02:37pm Sounds like fun. I'm in.
Do you have a comeback? 3-1 posters says it is you...

Ill reveal the answer tomorrow. Anyone wanting to join next round indicate your enthusiasm.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I actually purposely picked something to make me look like Elon. I think I misread the rules and thought that faking people out was somehow a good thing. Still, if everybody can run tirelessly all day they'll be less likely to need a rickshaw for transport. I also hate taxis/Uber and I'd much rather bus/train and then walk to where I need to go not only to save money but to save that awkward conversation that always tries to happen.

If you assume I'm telling the truth, pick the next most likely option. If not feel free to choose me and I'll try to blend in better next time.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ghetto Edit:

I actually purposely picked something to make me look like Elon. I think I misread the rules and thought that faking people out was somehow a good thing. Still, if everybody can run tirelessly all day they'll be less likely to need a rickshaw for transport. Also, if I really was Elon it seems like I'd follow the vehicle model all three of you suggested to fit in. Bonus fact: I hate taxis/Uber and I'd much rather bus/train and then walk to where I need to go not only to save money but to save that awkward conversation that always tries to happen.

If you assume I'm telling the truth, pick the next most likely option. If not feel free to choose me and I'll try to blend in better next time.

As for my analysis:

Fax Modem posted first and was on the theme far too well to be a random guess. It doesn't appear to solve the problem at first glance, but it does use the term licensed which was in the initial headline. Thus it almost certainly can't be him.

Tribble was my initial suspect due to picking a specific number and choosing a form of transport even less practical than cyber legs, but let's be honest those things do sound like something a non-Elon technocrat would end up doing.

That leaves Tvpnbb. I'm starting to suspect that Tvpnbb may be Elon. Passenger drones are the only non-terrestrial solution suggested and it was the third pick after "Licensed Highways" and "One-million Segways" so the transportation theme should have been clear.

I'm torn between Tribble and Tvpnbb. If I don't get another post after more people have mused I'll stick with my pick of Tribble.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I think that Tvpnbb is Elon Musk, for basically Jub's reasoning above - also, I want to register that I thought the problem was 'vehicle-based climate change' from the answers before the actual one was posted.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

1-million segways is more practical than cyberlegs, on account of the fact that you could actually go out and mass-produce and/or buy them right now. And for probably a lot cheaper too.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm changing my vote to Tvpnbb.

As for 1-million Segways, that just doesn't scream billionaire to me. You didn't have to invent anything new or waste money setting up a new way of doing things to create them.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

three people say Jub, 2 say Tvpnbb

Cyberleg bollywood vs Passenger drones...

I could see both. answer to be posted in 4 hours