Need Help. Computer taking performance hit.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Need Help. Computer taking performance hit.

Post by Enigma »

Since yesterday, my computer's performance has been abysmal. Webpages taking forever to load, games that normally run smooth now barely chugs along. I don't have a virus, I still have three quarters of my 16GB of RAM available, plenty of HD space. The only memory hogs were Firefox and Chrome but closing them does not do a thing. Nothing I do seem to make any difference. The only thing that isn't affected is watching movies or video clips.

Any ideas?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Need Help. Computer taking performance hit.

Post by Enigma »

I think I have found the cause of the slow down. The CPU temp is reading 200 degrees.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Overheating was just what I was about to suggest... that's probably a hair before your CPU would have shutdown from thermal limiting. I'd imagine this means the cooling fan died. Easy fix at least.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Second time in the past two years. lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I checked the fan and it rotates freely, no grinding. I did cleaned it out with compressed air and currently the temp reads around 114 and dropping.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

It is now in the low hundred. I'll do a better cleanup in the morning.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Celsius or Fahreinheit? Because there is a big difference.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

When you're in the market for a new cooler, I cannot recommend enough the self-contained water-cooling blocks + backplate fan. Easy to clean and the desktop temps hover around the 40Cs. Added benefit of removing heat, rather than blowing it into the case. Under stress testing (which no actual GAME really gets near that), I go about as high as 75C, which is higher than I usually like, but I am running a 4790K and those run hotter than most. But 75C at the high-end still offers a nice ceiling. I would probably benefit from cleaning my backplate fan and possibly checking my thermal paste again because it's been over a year now.
Zixinus wrote: 2018-06-17 04:56pm Celsius or Fahreinheit? Because there is a big difference.
I doubt his CPU is getting up to 100C normally as that's pretty much the failure/safety shutdown range. 200C would be a core meltdown. Low 100F is a safe operating range for most CPUs. As said, my desktop temp is around 105F.

Though I do miss the days of running a Koolance full-blown water kit and keeping an overclocked Athlon64 3000+ at 38C under full load.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-06-17 04:56pm Celsius or Fahreinheit? Because there is a big difference.
Fahrenheit. In Celsius, the CPU temp went up to around mid to high 90's. Fixed it by using compressed air and cleaned out the fan and heat sink. Nevertheless, I replaced the fan and heat sink with a compact cooler\heat sink combo. On idle the temp is around mid to high 30C's and after playing Pillars of Eternity 2 the temp was around 50C. It is only a temporary fix until I can save up for a new computer. One with a decent cooling system.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!