FALLOUT 76

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

FALLOUT 76

Post by LadyTevar »

So, a teaser was released for FallOut 76, and everyone went wild with speculation on where it'd be, and what kind of game it would be. Much of the speculation had to do with the known facts that Vault 76 was located somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains not far from DC, and that it was one of the "Control Vaults" that was also to be one of the first to open after the nukes fell. This kept the FallOut fanverse excited for the last few weeks.

Meanwhile in West Virginia, the FallOut fans were crossing fingers and hoping that the song featured in the teaser, "Country Roads", was going to mean the setting was actually going to be West-By-God-Virginia, and not somewhere around the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

The E3 Trailer just made a lot of West Virginians VERY HAPPY. Yes, it's set in West-By-God. We've identified 80% of the places shown so far.
Look for yourself, and if you want to know what the landmarks are, just ask. :-D
(please god let my rig handle this game)

Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: FALLOUT 76

Post by LadyTevar »

Now: the GeekOut --

OMG OMG THEY HAVE THE MOUNTAINS MODELED RIGHT!
OMGOMG, IS HE AT YEAGER AIRPORT, OR THE OTHER ARMY BASE UP NORTH?
EEEEEEE! THEY GOT THE COLORS OF AUTUMN IN WV RIGHT!!!
1:12 mark -- YES! Nuttall Sandstone rock cliff along the ridge-line. Stuff is natural concrete, resists erosion.
1:15 mark -- WV DNR had Fire Towers along the ridges from the 1930s on to watch for wildfire outbreaks. The three my Dad supervised were built just like this, but the outer walkway is new. And yes, morning mist is that thick in WV :)
1:17 mark -- YES!!! THAT IS THE NEW RIVER GORGE BRIDGE! Well, what's left of it. Cortex steel, gotta love it, ir rusted to the point it made its own protective seal. That road is Fayette Station Road, and while there's no CURRENT town there, back in the 1920-50s there was. It also used to be one of two ways to reach the South side of the river, and took 45minutes to drive. Wonder if you can cross the Bridge via the catwalk? It's a tourist attraction and Peregrine Falcon hatchery right now....
1:26 mark -- Harrison Power Plant, we think. Can't be John Amos, that'd be down in the Kanawha Valley past Charleston.
1:29 mark -- Church is believed to be in Canaan Valley area, near Snowshoe Ski Resort.
1:32 mark -- Could be anywhere. Small town WV.
1:34 mark -- In Fayetteville WV, there was a man called Five-Dollar Freddy, who would take tourists up in his bi-plane to view the New River Gorge Bridge from the air. THIS looks like Freddy's plane. (Freddy is gone, but the airplane rides remain. More like $50 now)
1:38 mark -- Could that be the ruin of Greenbank Telescope?
1:40 mark -- Resembles Hawk's Nest Overlook in Ansted, but could be any of the rock cliffs overlooking New River Gorge. They got the lay of the rock cliff looking just right. Horizontal slabs of sandstone and silica.
1:48-1:50 -- This I don't agree with. WVians respect our military, and we have one of the largest Vet populations. We'd not have left the guy lying there, we'd have built him a grave with a big stone marker.
1:56 mark -- Hello CoalMine Fire! Must have been set off by the nuke and never went out.
1:58 mark -- WV State Capitol. Built 1930s of sandstone on the North side of the Kanawha River. The perspective's odd, that lizard seems to be sitting on the South side of the river, but where's the river? Where's the rest of the Capitol lawn, and the statue "Lincoln Walks at Midnight"? Those should be visible at that angle, if the lizard's on the opposite shore. Nice coal barge leaning against the Capitol 2:wall, tho.
2:00 mark -- I have NO CLUE.
2:03 mark -- Again, no clue... but Watoga Estates on the side makes me think it's near Watoga State Park close to Marlington WV, which is south of Greenbank Observatory. All in Pocahontas County, along with Canaan Valley and Snowshoe.
2;04 mark -- IT"S THE MOTHMAN!!! They have to be in Parkersburg WV!!
2:06 mark -- I think it might be Virginia's Chapel, one of the first churches in WV. Located at Cedar Grove, not far upriver from Charleston. WTF is the glowing eyes, tho?
2:07 mark -- Woodburn Hall, WV University, Morgantown. All I gotta say is Marshall U better be in Huntington, or there will be WORDS.
2:10 mark -- The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs. Location of "The Bunker" where the US Congress was to hide in case of nukes. Looks pretty good for being that old, but if robots are the caretakers, that might be why. I hope they get the wallpaper right.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, if Congress or their descendants survived, could they be part of the Enclave?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-06-10 09:31pm Well, if Congress or their descendants survived, could they be part of the Enclave?
I think that's been a theory for a while now. IF Congress made it, as they were to travel by train to the Greenbrier. That's one reason why the Bunker was decommissioned -- the missiles got so fast there'd not be time to evac.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Never mind. I see the list includes the Greenbrier.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I noticed the player was occasionally carrying an MG-42/3, so that was cool. I also hope there's a like pacifist setting or whatever, otherwise griefers are gonna be a pain in the dick.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Looks good, looks amazing looks like it's damn Bethesda is a monster of a studio this year.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm hearing it will be "four times bigger" than Fallout 4. This worries me as it means at least one of the following:
- The devs had a lot more time to create content for it. Unlikely.
- Lots of empty areas between the interesting content.
- Procedurally generated content. Which will feel repetitive.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-06-11 12:45amI'm hearing it will be "four times bigger" than Fallout 4. This worries me as it means at least one of the following:
Hopefully the game will expand on FO4's settlement-building mechanic, so that the empty areas stop being empty once players start banding together and building stuff. If they're going for that then you need big empty maps, otherwise latecomers won't have anywhere to set up shop by themselves if they're not ready to join an established group.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-06-11 12:45am I'm hearing it will be "four times bigger" than Fallout 4. This worries me as it means at least one of the following:
Seriously? WV Ain't that Big.. Where would you be building, the sides of mountains we can't even build on TODAY?
Then again, there's a thought -- the engineering needed to get a building 'level' when there's a 1-story (or more) difference between the south and north sides of the building.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Probably more 'Please kill creature x, grab item y, and bring to location z', which Fallout 4 was full of.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Settlement building in FO4 was completely pointless, horribly executed mess and if 76 is more of similar garbage compounded by online idiots, I'll pass thank you very much.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

There's a lot of reasons that I'm wary about this game. Bethesda having never had any idea what game balance is is one of them, but they're gonna make a PVP experience. Playing it offline is supposed to be viable, but 'you survive easier if you team up' makes it sound like online is the way its MEANT to be played and you get a gimped experience.

And I know Bethesda doesn't care about the lore, but seeing what looks like Super Mutants in 2102...

I know we'll never get another New Vegas, but I really wanted another New Vegas, not Rust: Fallout edition.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

That this is gonna be "it's multiplayer, but you can have a single player experience and you crete your own stories(lol dynamic quests)" shows that the Throne of God sits empty.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

These games have enough issues as is, why the hell would you add a huge multiplayer into it?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Adding multiplayer just sounds like the run up to trying to edge into the online survival building game market which is simply not going to go well.

Building a base in FO4 was a pointless feature that was poorly developed to start with. Mods helped flesh it out a bit but ultimately FO4's engine and implementation of that building was poor. I would rather have a base building interface equivalent to XCOM or the Fallout Shelter game. As a mini-game it works and might add something interesting to do but it should not be a core mechanic that literally has the entire game being shaped around it like FO4 did even as it was obvious that mechanic was horrible in the FO4 engine.
This would avoid a great deal of the issues with terrain that cannot be altered and be an improvement in performance from a gameplay and system perspective. That said, this would probably end up going the way of Mobile Games or the Metal Gear Survive of turning the base into a scheme of players attacking each other bases. Trying to show horn Micro-Transaction bullshit even into Single Player games is becoming a common theme now and I can just see some fuck head suit trying to do the same with the Fallout franchise.

If PVP is going to be a thing then it is beyond a doubt that base attacking is going to be a thing which is going to be a monumental shitfest of balance. Additionally, it is going to turn this game into a really poor attempt at going after the actual base building survival games which Fallout simply cannot compete in unless they fully invest in basing the game around that which turns the game into yet-another-building-survival game in a market that is already saturated with them.
I want to play a Fallout game, not be stuck in a over-priced, micro-transaction Online shitfest ripoff of Ark Survival or Conan Exiles.

One of the biggest pulls of Betheseda Games has been the mod community - Even if that community was the source of that paid mod shitfest.
Betheseda games are notorious for being bugfests that the mod community eventually patches up and fixes with mods that improve the game beyond anything Betheseda could do.

Is this game going to continue being mod friendly or is the multiplayer element going to naturally result in Bethseda trying to lock it down / limit it ?
Is this multiplayer going to be an always-on thing or a server thing ?

The only benefit multiplayer should add to a Fallout game is the ability to do Co-Op which MIGHT be nice. As soon as you start doing shit like PVP it changes the nature of the game into something that will become a post apocalyptic version of Conan Exiles.
I have that game and it was fun for a bit but despite what the PR claims, it is not a single player game and trying to play it single player is obviously not what it is designed for.

The information coming out about this game is not appealing and I fully expect I will skip it unless they come out with a massive amount of GOOD answers to what the actual gameplay will be like.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They are also saying that the Online RPG would be limited to 12 players per instance. This could be good, or it could leave the servers in constant lockdown as everyone tries to log in at once.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Assuming any of your characters make it past the griefing train that will roll across the map nonstop.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Fallout 76 Information

More Fallout Information

This Fallout is basically ripping off current Survival Games and trying to make a Quasi MMO out of it which is a horrific recipe for making a mess of a game. The game has no human npcs, is supposed to be player driven and the servers will only occupy dozens.

I can only expect this is going to turn into each server being filled with pre-made teams wiping out anyone in the way which turns this into DayZ with nukes getting dropped everywhere to farm the "epic" loot.

Nothing in this is impressing me and is very much putting me in the "Nope" Camp combined with expecting the community to become insanely toxic.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ugh, that sounds fucking terrible.

Unless something turns around, that's a pass from me on this one.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

So you can be wandering along, doing whatever you enjoy. Only to suddenly die because you're too close to whatever another player wants to nuke. That sounds like it could get frustrating really quickly.

Not sure if that's better or worse than the other players on the server deliberately targeting you with nukes until you ragequit.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Sigh. It was just too hard for them to make another Fallout RPG. I mean, it's what the masses love I guess, it's just not what I'm looking for. When I play Fallout (or any other mega-hour time-sink like Skyrim, Ark, Witcher 3 or Just Cause 3), it's with mods in one hand and cheat codes in the other, because I just want to faff about during the fifteen minute spans of time between parenting and chores. I'll never have time to slowly build a character through honest gameplay, so I just start out a god amongst men and enjoy the story or free building or exploration or random chaos, happily tuning out the fact that my character is an all-powerful immortal who can't make bad choices.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Seems to me that this is more an asset flip to pad out their titles while they work on the next major Elder Scrolls, after which (by their pattern) would come a major Fallout installment.

Personally I can see how this game could be good, mediocre, or terrible, but I am waiting for the speculation and hype to settle so I can get concrete information from official sources that aren't just vague Q&As.

So long as the multiplayer aspect is tunable, such that you can be as exposed as you'd like when online, I think that should be fine. I'm more concerned about what the gameplay will actually be.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I'll wait for actual gameplay demos and more details on the balancing between solo-players and MMO parts.

I mean it would be nice if they made the Coop/MP part similar to how The Division did it.

Though I already hate the idea that there won't be any friendly/neutral NPCs around.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

they've mentioned they'll be using robots for most of the npc functions, there are just no 'human' npcs.

this kind of makes sense. vault 76 will be one of the first vaults to open, every other human is ether dead, mutated, or still locked in their vaults.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?