Steam sale: Mass Effect 1&2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Steam sale: Mass Effect 1&2

Post by Zwinmar »

As the title says, can get both for slightly less than $10. Have played 2 and 3 so have been wanting to play 1.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Steam sale: Mass Effect 1&2

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Zwinmar wrote: 2018-05-10 09:32pm As the title says, can get both for slightly less than $10. Have played 2 and 3 so have been wanting to play 1.
You'll find the gameplay and game mechanics in 1 to be very different to later instalments, and the Paragon/Renegade system. Certainly the differences between 1 and 2 were greater than between 2 and 3, IMO.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

ME1 has passable combat, some annoying mechanics, and tends to channel the shit out of Star Control 2 (in a good way). ME2 and 3 suffered from having to hack their way through an explanation for all the mystery and cool shit ME1 setup. So, Mass Effect is basically "The Matrix" trilogy of video games.

EDIT: Also, with ME1: be prepared for the most EXCRUCIATINGLY terrible inventory management system you will likely ever deal with. Also, rubbing space goo on shit to pick locks.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

well so far; inventory isnt THAT bad, but then I have played such gems as Diablo, Everquest and DAoC. Right now the most annoying part besides driving the damn Mako is the squad either not showing up on zone in prompting a reload (hit F6 constantly) or not going where told.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

It gets atrocious after your first playthrough because there's an inventory limit and you've collected to much shit. Your "good" mods are always listed at the top, so when it gets full and you're trying to convert to omni-gel, you had to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list (item by item), convert, and the selector defaults to the top of the list.

Now, I was playing on 360 at the time. I have no idea if it worked better for the PC version. It may have. But I can't really justify buying ME one since I beat the game. Like... everything. 100% completion, all class, weapons, squad members, everything. Took me like 4-5 runs. But the only annoying thing was Sniper Kills and that I wasted a playthrough as the infiltrator (or whichever the Shotgun Biotic on was). The multi-class wasn't really up to snuff in ME1. A good idea, but a dedicated Soldier, Biotic, or Engineer is really the way to go.

Especially if you play as a soldier on you first playtrough and unlock the Assault Rifle kills. Then roll a Biotic and you get a free skill, which you'll want to use on the Assault Rifle. Possibly the Shotgun if you're really balsy. Don't get me wrong, the pistol can wreck shop in ME1 if built right, but the Assault Rifle can do the same and it shoots faster.

EDIT: It also gets boring after a while only being able to use one default weapon effectively. Even the solider gets some "combat skills" to use in lieu of Biotic/Engineer spells. But the Biotic and Engineer are always stuck with the pistol. It was a bad design decision IMO, especially when all those weapon you can't use are ALWAYS visible on your character.