Would my PC run FF14?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-04 03:41am

Honestly my funds atm (in-game that is) are rather limited so if I can get thru either by making it myself or asking my FC leader (who has been very good at helping me both by providing up to date gear when I needed it during leveling or simply guiding me to the place I needed to go to finish a quest).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-04 01:02pm

When my sub was about to expire way back, I had a fire-sale on pretty much everything worth a single gil. Got more than a few messages because I undercut the Hell out of everyone. Went from around 1mil to logging out with 21mil. I was pretty sure when, or even if, I ever logged back into the game: all those high-end mats would be worth bupkis. Seems like I was mostly right, I ended up selling one Garuda Feather for around 850k because I was missing something to craft out another weapon and/or (my memory is hazy) I just didn't have anything I wanted to make since I had the DRG spear (Which is pretty much all I ran at the time) and somehow ended up with the DRK sword.....

I SHOULD have sold both our guild Hall and my private home, but I didn't want to load my inventory up with housing stuff. In retrospect: I should have taken the time.

I got no idea how to make money now, especially without Stormblood. We used to run maps. Those were easy money, especially the harder ones. And they dropped mats you could make good money on as well.

I'd run some shit with you or cough up a bit of cash, but there's no real cross-realm stuff and I'm pretty sure we're not even in the same datacenter. My buddy got his sub setup, so I guess we're going to do Main Scenario shit and farm Poetics. My PLD went from 186 to 260 because all the endgame HW gear is there for purchase. They are THROWING old Poetics at you, which makes sense since you can max out on HWs best gear, outside some raid stuff I assume, and then you're like "well, I guess I better buy Stormblood."

Which it should be. It's not like it's high-end cosmetic shit or anything. I'm working on finishing out my SCH HW gear. Get her setup and I've got my choices going into Stormblood if we bother (hopefully, it goes on sale soon). There's really no DPS that I'm enamored to coming back. Possibly SMN, but DRG has lost that spark for me. ARR DRG was some of the most fun DPSing I had, but into Thok and Alexander as DRG, I was getting bored and frustrated more than anything. Phase transitions were just SO annoying.

I could do with either the Blood of the Dragon OR the positioning requirements, but both stacking up like they do were/are a major annoyance.

And since the Alliance Raids are locked to 50, I can't even practice on some bullshit boss fights while also making out with some points. I think they should have gone the SWTOR route and level synced UPWARDS (instanced content in SWTOR syncs you to 70 now) and left you with all the abilities you had. Or they could have just NOT been lazy and added an Alliance Raid to freaking HW.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-10 05:06pm

Slowly (well relatively speaking) getting my tradecrafts to level 50 atm while actually none are there yet (my highest is goldsmithing at 49), other then the quest being a of a pain in the arse due having to make an HQ or several (with all HQ materials it's a bit a coin toss if you succeed there with gear you get from the quests themselves).

Oh and the Samurai level 54 is seriously overtuned and before you say "You're saying that because you failed at it" no I didn't fail (well I did but I've also completed it), I've done it was close but I did it and compared to the previously mentioned level 50 Dragoon quest which was tough but fair the samurai quest just seems poorly balanced.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-14 03:42pm

Ugh, just fighting off the last of a combination Strep, Pink Eye, and Mono infection. (fucking Mono? What?). Anyways, I've had little time except to sleep, wish I was dead, and play FFXIV while on sick leave.

Crafting is really its own little game. Leveling to 50 was such a pain. I got lucky in there were a few high level crafters in our old guild. Sometimes you can get lucky and find your HQ crafts for cheap on the AH or cough the mats up to a high-level crafter and they'll help you out. FFXIV is, by far, the MMO with the most helpful people. Especially in the crafting area, last I checked. Alternatively, just level to max with Leves and save all the class quests for 50 when you've put together the opening crafter set and melded it a bit (which is easier now that Materia Melder NPCs are a thing).

I won't ever argue with anyone about some class quests being way overtuned. Jesus, at launch, pretty much the entirety of GLD > PLD 50 was the definition of "overtuned." Those level 30 elites out in ST you needed to kill to get the PLD stone? Man, they were making quick work of me and my Choco. I had to call a guildy out to help. WHM 50 was also a popular "/1 How the Hell do you beat this quest?" topic.

MAR/WAR was a fucking cakewalk by comparison except the 50 quest. But even then, you could put together a decent endgame set so your gear was being synced to ~80 (IIRC). Because going in with what leveling stuff you had on hand was near suicide.

WHM 50-60: total wash. Some Dragon Girl is spreading taint, so you go beat on her and happy ending. The little kids (the WHM quest givers) get more development. Also of note: Dragon Girls are such a waste. The males look phenomenally badass. The Females are just CatGirls with scales and Dragon Horns instead of fur and Cat Ears. I heard the RPers complained about the original, more alien, design. So Squeenix caved and made ANOTHER "cutegirl" race.

DRK really does stand out as a great 30-50 quest. A shame it falls apart post-50 and becomes more "hur the church is evil."

Astrologian is "Leveva: please stop walking into the waiting arms of murderers and kidnappers." from like 30 - 60. It has a few laughs, and Leveva is cute (I love her getup), but she could save herself a lot of trouble by hiring like.... 1 more bodyguard. As it stands, the quest is just kind of psychotic since they can't decide between one quest or another rather to kill or kidnap her. She's supposedly WAY too important to kill, then the next scene it's "you won't come quietly, time to die."

All I have left, aside from class quests, is the Manderville and Briarden quests (and Main Scenario, which I'm holding off on). Both are a total wash and boring as Hell. Man, the 50 Manderville stuff was hilarious. Gilgamesh and Ultros were so fun. I have no idea what's going on with the HWs stuff. It's just bad.

Now that Sprint has been turned into a QoL CD for all classes (it no longer drains TP): WOW are some of the animations just.... fucking terrible. The Spear (DRG/LAN) have to be the worst of the worst. No one would sprint with a spear like that, unless you wanted your spine to snap in half. Seriously, Squeenix should look at the Spear animations from freaking Conan Exiles and just copy those. They look great all around. But really, most of the DoW class move and sprint like they've never held a weapon.... or are in an anime.

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-25 11:44am

Lord Revan wrote:
2018-06-10 05:06pm
Oh and the Samurai level 54 is seriously overtuned and before you say "You're saying that because you failed at it" no I didn't fail (well I did but I've also completed it), I've done it was close but I did it and compared to the previously mentioned level 50 Dragoon quest which was tough but fair the samurai quest just seems poorly balanced.
Stormblood went on sale first day of the summer sale, so we hit it up. Gotta say, I was worried for a while since PLD and SCH are still my babies, AST has grown on me, but I was having problems coming up with a DPS to run. BRD is still fun, I want to play more with it, but Melee DPS (outside Tanking) has always been my bread and butter. SAM: I like the abilities setup, and the animations are Katana Wanky enough that I really like them. Plus, a sword DPS class is up my alley. I actually got really annoyed at times when my BiS weapons for Death Knight were hammer or axes.... at least before T-Mog.

Kyle likes Red Mage and I'm just like "blah." Plus the class trainer is.... terrible. The "Aged, wise, and totally badass Master" you've seen in every kung-fu movie ever might be cliche for SAM, but it's not dumb and annoying.

For some dumb reason the SAM gear syncs with MNK and not DRG. I guess they never did know what they wanted to do with DRG since it's armor values are the highest out of any DPS class.

I don't know if you have a class to 60 yet, but when you do, make sure to pick up the Wonderous Tales/Tails (I can't recall if it's a pun or not) quest. I finished out a journal (it's easy) and got 2 lines, which gave me the Alipoh(sp?) minion which easily sold for 950,000. There's supposedly other vanity stuff you can get that sells for big-bucks. Also of note: Palace of the Dead (Deep dungeons) is the new place to level and also throws vanity gear at you that can make you some bucks.

Skimpy mogs were going gangbusters when I last logged out. I made so much cash sending out retainers on Exploration XIIIs and having them come back with Light Steel and Taffetta Cloth, crafting them into skimp mogs, and undercutting like mad. I did however leave one set of each just under that "stupid stupid high I can't believe they can sell for that amount" amount by checking the sale history (more games need that on their market). They never sold and the price has dropped.

So, I put together a joke mog for the Light Steel (and sold the Cloth Skimp Mog for 100k). I'll roll into Limsa, or wherever in my Wootz set. Check the board, then pop over to a Light Steel mog and (literally) watch heads turn as people target me since FFXIV has head tracking. It is... fucking hilarious. If this was SWG, I could /dance and never have to worry about money again.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-25 01:51pm

personally I didn't mind the Samurai trainer that much sure it's a bit cliche but it's more beliveble to have a 60-70 year old master to be the trainer then a pretty boy to looks like they're barely out of their teens at most oldest. It's a cliche that's kind of hard to subvert without making it seem like you're trying to subvert the cliche for the sake of subverting the cliche.

Yeah the funny thing about samurai having light armor (for melee that is) is that out of all melee DPS they'd have most justification to have heavy armor since the armor real life samurai wore was quite heavy (not to the extent of later medival knights but not that far either), also outside of Japan the image most people would have of samurai is in full armor opposed to the guys in kimonos the FF14 samurai is based on.

What I like about the Samurai is that there's a nice flow to the abilities once you've gotten high enough. You don't really have think about what to do next as much as with some other classes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-25 03:35pm

Oh yea, forgot: the Grand Company Squadron Missions are kind of fun. Command missions are hilarious at times. You can basically run a dungeon with 3 NPCs. I've found being their healer works the best. The NPCs take much less damage on average. Unless they stand in the bad, which they do, and it's hard to micro manage them out of. But, aside from that, you really only have to heal yourself and you can DPS down mobs like crazy.

I've got 7 more dungeons to run to unlock the emotes. Then there's a level 40 mission you have to complete that unlocks the last GC rank and all the goodies that come with it.
Lord Revan wrote:
2018-06-25 01:51pm
personally I didn't mind the Samurai trainer that much sure it's a bit cliche but it's more beliveble to have a 60-70 year old master to be the trainer then a pretty boy to looks like they're barely out of their teens at most oldest. It's a cliche that's kind of hard to subvert without making it seem like you're trying to subvert the cliche for the sake of subverting the cliche.
I guess it's less cliche out of FFXIV because, at best, many of the class trainers are just kind of winging it, at worst, tend to be kind of moronic and/or jackasses..... who also tend to dump their entire life story within the first 5 minutes of meeting them. I'm actually having some problem remembering the SCH class trainer.... I THINK the SMN class guide is... Y'Sholta's sister or something. Weird stuff. It doesn't feel like I played the game THAT long ago.
Yeah the funny thing about samurai having light armor (for melee that is) is that out of all melee DPS they'd have most justification to have heavy armor since the armor real life samurai wore was quite heavy (not to the extent of later medival knights but not that far either), also outside of Japan the image most people would have of samurai is in full armor opposed to the guys in kimonos the FF14 samurai is based on.
I'd have to guess at some point DRG was supposed to be an off-tank class and their gear class was just never modified in order to keep people from seeing a negative modifier on the armor rating and thinking something higher level was a downgrade. There's also sub-50 gear in the game that is for the tanks and DRG, such as the Doctore's Chainmail. Sub-50, my DRG was actually pretty damn tanky.

So, they keep the armor on DRG and just dumped SAM (or any new STR DPS) onto MNK.
What I like about the Samurai is that there's a nice flow to the abilities once you've gotten high enough. You don't really have think about what to do next as much as with some other classes.
It's nice to have a dedicated AOE rotation. And since there's only 2 tiers to it and the AOE resource spender move is at two stacks, it flows nicely. And the one element removed, the slashing resistance down, isn't worth putting up on a single target during an AOE rotation. Though, REALISTICALLY, they could have gone with a "stance" that switched your abilities over the AOE until to canceled it. I think Combat Rogues had something like this in WoW. It was an interesting concept that cut down on ability bloat.

Thought it WOULD be nice to have a priority based melee DPS, but I can only assume the high Global CD means BRD will likely be the only class to get something like that. Though Red Mage has a kind of bastardized one. But, once again, while having some melee attacks (that are all rotation based) it's still more a hybrid.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-25 06:29pm

Arcanist is the acting head of the guild in Limsa, Scholar is Lalafel Marauder/historian, Summoner is Y'shtola's half sister (same father different mother as evidenced by their shared last name making them both daughters of Y'Rhul).

As for NPC I've found that have on obsession of standing each and every single AoE they see, moving only to get into as many AoEs as possible.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-26 11:58am

I cannot come up with anything for a SAM glam (ha!). I wanted to emulate Jin from Samuari Champloo but I can't find... whatever you call those wood (Bamboo?) elevated sandals the Japanese used to wear. The only set I've found (and could trade for) are the sandales from an event and they are MALE ONLY! The female version is the Lady's Clogs and they are actual sandals. Now I have to hope I can find a way to get The Little Lady Clogs. But I'm pretty sure I don't have the 2016 version of the gear. And I don't cough up real money for cosmetics.

I mean... why not go cliche? Right now my generic mog is the intro Hyur set. Not the Skimpy stuff, but the one with this and the longboots. It looks all around pretty good and is race exclusive.

However, I was WAY too in love with the Ironworks set and most of the actual armor from this game and outside "armored" classes, it's incredibly generic and doesn't fit. Mogging Tank or DRG is actually pretty easy. As is some of the healers, especially in Heavensward. WHM has to be the hardest, for me, because they are the "back to the woods, hippie, save the forest/environment" weirdos but their class gear is way too tame. Makes much more sense for SCH and AST.

EDIT: I get they had to pay homage to the original WHM get-up going back to FF1. But those types spent most their time in cities healing people. WHMs spend most their time in Gridania mucking about in the woods in heavy white billowy robes.[/edit]

But I'm having major issues putting together anything for Sam. I may just have to use one of my togas/kimonos and the Leather Sandals or something. But I got this idea in my head for "Female Jin" (I have the perfect glasses) and now it's pissing me off it won't be complete.
Lord Revan wrote:
2018-06-25 06:29pm
Arcanist is the acting head of the guild in Limsa, Scholar is Lalafel Marauder/historian, Summoner is Y'shtola's half sister (same father different mother as evidenced by their shared last name making them both daughters of Y'Rhul).
Ugh Lalas.... yea I remember now. And also "Lalafel Marauder" and "dude, what?"
As for NPC I've found that have on obsession of standing each and every single AoE they see, moving only to get into as many AoEs as possible.
Oh man, you are not lieing. Thousand Maws, Graffix. The tank gets the poison from the tail. Stands there. Prepared for this. Disengage, run to other side of arena. Re-engage. She runs him BACK to almost exactly where he was originally, TWICE. I have to run that because Brayflox end boss, hard without a competent group normally, is balls with NPCs. I think you can out DPS his heal from standing in the AOE, but he targets the player more often than not with the poison AOE, and the NPC healer does not deal well with multiple targets taking damage. So, when you go down: instant wipe.

I wanted to heal more, but my setup to run a Squad and Command Mission at the same time meant my only open spot was a DPS. These are pretty much cake when you heal, monstrously annoying when you don't.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-26 01:15pm

TheFeniX wrote:
2018-06-26 11:58am
Lord Revan wrote:
2018-06-25 06:29pm
Arcanist is the acting head of the guild in Limsa, Scholar is Lalafel Marauder/historian, Summoner is Y'shtola's half sister (same father different mother as evidenced by their shared last name making them both daughters of Y'Rhul).
Ugh Lalas.... yea I remember now. And also "Lalafel Marauder" and "dude, what?"
Oh you're wondering about that part with Y'shtola? It's simple enough when you know how Keeper of the Sun names work, keepers of the sun don't have last names per say but rather for males their last name is their tribal rank and for female it's their father's personal name, for example "Y'sthola Rhul" means "Sthola daughter of Rhul from the Jaguar tribe"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-26 01:37pm

My "dude, what" was in reference to "Lala MAR" since I find Lala's more annoying than Gnomes. Actually, I've never minded gnomes, but Lala's grate on me. The general lore around Lalas doesn't help.

I got most of the Mi'Qote backstory (I've done every generic sidequest in the game up to HW), at least Keepers of the Sun. It really explains (though most just might want CatGirls) their popularity considering they are canonical Harem Girls since their reproduction favors female offspring. I'd normally let it pass, but the Lore around the Keepers of the Moon (the female dominated sub-species) is far less fleshed out. And, aside from racism which could be an issue, it's hard to understand why they continue to form large harems when there's men of other species around who find them attractive. But Catgirls don't seem off-put by other races in their bid to be the Twileks of Final Fantasy.

I actually wrote an adventure way back concerning Avariels in DnD where their race had a high female offspring count, which was sustainable and they had a xenophobia bent, but a plague had wiped out a large portion of their males leading to large harems. However, inbreeding was becoming an issue. The tie-in was my players investigating the (seemingly) random abduction of young boys over a rather large area. But I was also 16 and not in charge of a million dollar license with more than 1 female player.

I try not to judge because near everything has it's place. But "Harem Catgirls in a Japanese production?" makes me think "Come the fuck on."

Anyways, my annoyance moment was the one Catgirl in.... South Shroud? who went back to her (possibly abusive) harem leader boy because she didn't think anyone would accept her into non-Catgirl society. She doesn't WANT to go back, but feels she has to. Leader CatMan was so smug about it, the term "strangling a cat" would have taken on a whole new meaning had I been able to lay hands on him. Kudos though for Yoshi being able to tug some heart-strings. EDIT: To be fair, they were Bandits, so it would have been rough for her.[/edit]

You run into a lot of NPCs like this in FFXIV. It would have been cool to recruit them into either the Scions or (had they added it earlier) your Grand Company Squad.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-26 07:15pm

Yeah, it seems certain subraces were made first and therefore have more lore. Duskwright Elezen seems have the same issue as Keepers of the Moon, lorewise that.

As for Lalafel yeah they can be annoying when they're overly smug or try to be cute (which they fail often).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-29 03:07pm

I should call my Grand Company Squad: "No Lalas allowed." I instant decline them except for the starters (because I needed them, and the game threw 3 at me), even though it might cost me in the long run since there's racial bonuses for certain missions. Still need a CatMan/Girl. Not a single one has applied and multiple missions have affinity. Got my emotes (/pushup is great) but still need to hit 40 for the last promotion for me.

You weren't kidding about the SAM 54 quest. I got it in one because I have a full set of augmented Ironworks gear, but the ninjas were bad enough because it wants to bait you into an AOE rotation, but you need to fight the urge and just 1vs1. But the Roe at the end hits way too hard. One Rage of Halone from him could take half my HP. I got by on potions and Second Wind. He easily could have ended the run with a couple crits.

It is amazing how hard it is to find a good SAM glamour in this game... outside the cash shop. The best I can come up with is the Lady's Yukata (I wish I had the black, but I only have the White/Red version and I think the Blue) with the Lady's Clogs. But then I'm still rocking bare legs which (while attractive) does not complete the look and very few of the dresses/skirt I have looked at match all that well.

Joke option though I will probably buy the mask either way. NOTE: I would be getting the Gold Saucer version. The Tantra set could work as kind of a Erza: No armor setup, but it's fucking MNK only. In fact, a lot of the MNK sets would go quite well. It's a shame they didn't backend SAM onto older sets. I will likely look into either the Yakata or the Oasis Tunic set. Because anything else I can come up with is cash shop bullshit.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-06-30 03:26am

TheFeniX wrote:
2018-06-29 03:07pm
You weren't kidding about the SAM 54 quest. I got it in one because I have a full set of augmented Ironworks gear, but the ninjas were bad enough because it wants to bait you into an AOE rotation, but you need to fight the urge and just 1vs1. But the Roe at the end hits way too hard. One Rage of Halone from him could take half my HP. I got by on potions and Second Wind. He easily could have ended the run with a couple crits.
Yeah I wish my Rage of Halone would hit as hard, the ninja and the beast were tough but reasonble but the roe just seemed badly overtuned, when I went there I had the gear you get from getting the job more or less and that had been fine so far but I was forced to up-date and even then it seemed that wasn't quite enough.

It wouldn't as much of an issue if all the missions up to that point had been as hard. after all you don't complain that Dark Souls bosses are hard, they're suppose to and you should get used to it. However this quest is much harder then quests before or after it (I've gotten my samurai to 57 now and only stopped to not overtake my dragoon), so you're not prepared for it and once it's done the difficulty seems to be a mistake and not intentional.

How I made it was attack then retreat to either heal naturally or thru pots/second wind, then repeat, until the NPC was at about 10%-20% health at that point I rushed him and threw everything I got at him. Even so there were several times I was 1 or 2 hits from dying and all my heals were on cooldown and that was after I updated my gear to "up to date", it's kind of funny that I had easier time "tanking" Som Ahl bosses/trash (because the tank died) with that gear then I had doing the mission that was meant to be done solo without a tank or healer.

EDIT:As for Samurai glamour I'm quite fond of the starting gear for the job, it's simple and fits the job, granted it would be nice if I could dye it but you can't atm.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-06-30 02:47pm

The starter armor is fine, but it's a bit generic. I have some of it on a glam with my Oasis tunic as the top.

I hit 3 lines on my Tails book this week. Got 1 mil MGP in rewards. So.... that's good. I bought that SAM set and I'm currently putting together 3 SAM mogs. That and I also went out and just bought every "sandal" that was for sale. I figure I was tired of bouncing around between the glamour thingy and the market board. Cost me some scratch, but I'm not spending money on much these days.

EDIT: the other reason I went with the Oasis and the Yukata: it works for any class, not just SAM. My SCH looks good now.

Image

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-07-01 06:40am

That's a nice looking sword (and the rest of it isn't too bad either), I got a pretty decent glamour for my red mage recently though I'm still missing a good hat for it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-07-02 10:22am

Thanks. Yea, the Ramuh weapons are pretty nice and there must be more than a few high-level crafter competing on Malboro these days since you can score a lot of the crafted stuff for a decent price. I would have gone Garuda again, but I figured I'd change it up. Most of the AAR primal weapons are good, except the PLD swords. Man, they are all around pretty terrible for PLD. And there's no matching shields for the most part except Titan and the thing is a glowing chunk of rock. There's the Shiva shield, but I don't like the shape. Too thick on the bottom.

I too am looking for a good hat... yea. It's the true battle of FFXIV. Outside some specific custom ones, you've mostly got either weird stuff from the "ages long past" design book or just "joke" stuff. Or more specifically, like a big frilly "beach hat" type thing which is hard to take seriously. They have the "Bamboo Hat" I want for that cliche SAM getup, but the cheapest was 650k and "No thanks." Now, if they had the design from the henchman in Big Trouble in Little China: I'd pay all the money.

This is my other setup. Sadly, the only real "skirt" in this game (that isn't part of a body piece) for the legs is the Summer Skirt or part of a specific set. There's more than enough healer skirts that could work, but they are healer only, which is weird they even have them because the sets they are apart of, the body covers them and even hides the skirt mesh at times.

Image

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-07-13 05:10pm

Gotten my dragoon, red mage, white mage and samurai to level 60 now and done their job quests for that level. also I've more or less done with Heavensward as far as the Main Story is conserned.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-07-23 01:57pm

I got SCH to 70 and I'm barely into Stormblood. Kyle tried to do a MSQ duty as DRK and couldn't do enough damage. So he's leveling his BRD. I told him just to grab a bunch of DPS accessories and meld DET materia, but he don't listen. I meanwhile have been all "WAAAAH SAMURAI" and been mowing fools down non-stop with my Katana. At other times, I roll into a MSQ as PLD in DPS gear because I can do literally everything and pump out metric tons of damage at the same time. I do this out of nostaligia as I did most my questing as PLD. I switched to DRG later on as it became my best geared class, but it's not the same. Though there was some hilarity out starting a big MSQ fight by popping all my DPS CDs, using DragonFire Dive, and killing all the adds in one hit.

This was also something that happened at the end of the AST quest for me. I equipped all my Augmented Shire gear and went at it. Threw one Gravity and the only NPC left was the Big Bad.

Stormblood SCH class quest is "meh." PLD isn't much better. They all seem wholly unconnected to Stormblood, for better or worse. PLD is some huge Gladiator tourny. While it IS fun to reconnect with Mylla again after so many years (GLD was my first class), she's once again relegated to "competent woman warrior, pushed aside by badass dudes." I honestly would have enjoyed a fight with her over the "ZOMG can you believe X is back" fight, which was stupidly easy to figure out because there were only 3 people involved in the GLD quest, and only one of them has a reason to hide their identity.

On the plus side, PLD makes a huuuuuge flip at 50+, becomes pretty fun all around at 60, and only gets BETTER at +60. Incredibly boring as a tanking class at 50, your defining moments are things like clutch-use of Cover to save some idiot or laughing off some tank buster that the WAR might have problems with, or just SURVIVING so long because you have cooldowns for days, relying on no tanking mechanics to keep up. But actual tanking is "hit 3 buttons, pop a CD before a telegraphed hit." But the addition of Clemency and the new DPS rotation (which regens mana as part of it) turns you into more like..... a WoW Paladin circa Mists of Pandaria.

For example, last night we got into a Sohm Al (Hard) which is still not a joke dungeon. Our healer was a SCH who refused to summon a fairy, would spam Broil, and maybe 1-2 physiks if I got below 50% health. No esuna no nothing. I was going to kick him, but I wanted to see how far I could take it. Clemency took me pretty damn far as it would turn out. There was a point where the healer just flat out AFKed and I was able to keep myself and the rest of the party up. It helped immensely the two DPS knew their own survival CDs and Kyle was specced for the BRD Mana Regen.

I wasn't going to originally, but I plan to level DRK now. The 50-60 was a total wash, but I've read the 60-70 is on-par with the original 30-50 questline.

Dun Scaith: I have never popped so many Healer LB3s..... and had so much fun doing so.

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-07-23 04:23pm

Sidenote: you can miss it if you're too focused on the fight, but during a HW BRD quest duty, there's a point where one of your allied NPCs will shout "Your music is bad and you should feel bad." I laughed. What can I say, I'm a sucker for cheap shout-outs.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-07-23 04:26pm

Just got to Doma myself, I need to level up my chars now though as the next quest is for level 62. Also I did Ramuh Extreme on my white mage, that was "intresting" as half the group didn't know what to do and the other half refused to say anything about the tactics until after a wipe, I think we might have wiped a dozen times before we finally got him down. Granted it didn't help that some people insisted on standing right next to me the whole fight regardless of where I stood.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-07-26 10:27am

Ramuh is one of those "slow build up" fights where things tend to not spiral out of control quickly, but over time it builds up. A joke I made at the time, that no one got (because philistines), was "this fight was designed by the Sierra Adventure game group" as there's a few instances where a mess-up a short (or long) while back can screw you later on down the road. Other fights have this with the "I got hit by a mechanic and now have a stack of vulnerability" but you see it coming whereas with Ramuh, you have to ask "do I want to snag a ball to reduce the raid damage and risk not having enough for the tanks or the tethers?" Then you do so, and some idiot DPS runs over one on accident.

So, then someone goes down: the tethered or one of the tanks. And it just goes downhill from there. No "instant wipe" scenario really.

Fun stuff. We had a lot of fun clearing it, then our raid lead said "I don't want to ever run this again" and everyone (including me) said "um, DUH." I still want to run Shiva EX on my SAM to try for the sword. I have 40-something dusts so it's an easy upgrade.

We're stuck because Kyle now wants to level a RDM, after getting BRD to 60. So we're once AGAIN stuck not progressing the story. I'm capping quickly on the Esoterics that I CAN'T FUCKING SPEND because we haven't beaten Stormblood. So... that blows donkey dick. My Ifrit SAM sword finally sold for 750k. I was mad because I chose that day to pull it and glam it. Oh well, I made another to try and sell and I made some money.

Down to 13mil from buying turn-ins for the Grand Company. This however has pushed all but ALC to 60. And GSM (somehow ending up as my main crafter) to 65.

Sephirot P1 plays the Dreadful Fight (boss) music from FFVI.

Finally 2 classes (that I know of) actually send you to Kugane. SAM and AST. I can't do either right now. No big whoop. I'm leveling DRK and setup this Anemos glam. The whole set (Level 1 all classes) is pretty cheap on the AH. So, I'm like an edgelord COWBOY(girl) now. It's pretty sweet.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-07-26 03:39pm

I made a decent looking Dark Knight Glamour from pieces of Cloud Strife's Advent Children costume and some random level 60(ish) gear. Still a work in progress but not half bad atm.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10970
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-07-27 02:21pm

I've got no pics of the Dark Knight glamour I mentioned but here's my current red mage look
Image

Oh and in case you're wondering I took this on front of my Free Company house so that there's no other people in the shot.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4642
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX » 2018-07-30 11:36am

Not a dig at you, but the game: holy shit the lighting is terrible. Flat, undynamic, and really does nothing to help with the low quality textures and normals. I honestly think SWTOR has a better lighting engine. Even with "Character Lighting" turned up to max, it's almost like it just increases the brightness on the texture itself.

Either way, looks fancy.

Got my GSM up high enough in Craft/Control to bang out a Rapier of the Round for Kyle. Looks nice enough. The Anima weapon isn't all that time consuming anymore past the original jump. Mine is now at 270, which has to be near max. Unfortunately, I'm on the "farm light" part which is always balls.

Kyle race changed to Catgirl and he wants me to follow suit. Somehow I managed to misplace a Fantasia (I swear I've used two) so I could do it. But if I didn't like it, I'd be SOL.

Also: Edgelord Cowgirl
Image

Post Reply