Fallout 4 Xbone issue

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Fallout 4 Xbone issue

Post by seanrobertson »

Hiya all.

I've owned a copy of Fallout 4 on the Xbox One since shortly after its release. I didn't get to play it in earnest until nine months (?) or so ago, during which time my fiancé, Tammy, and I tore into it, bought most of the dlc, etc. We reached a ridiculously high level and only had a few actual missions left, so we eventually grew bored and played other games. (When killing a Deathclaw in one or two shots is routine, naturally, things is gonna done bit slow :D.)

Last weekend, we decided we'd try the game again, but we couldn't get my system to recognize the disc. After some 30+ tries, during which we cleaned the (apparently immaculate) disc, tried feeding it into the tray slowly, performed multiple reboots and so on, we had no luck; it just wouldn't take.

Meanwhile, other games and BRs loaded and ran with no trouble. :/

The icing on this shitcake: my fiancé has a grown daughter, Haley, from her very first relationship. Haley is a gamer like her mom :). I bought her an Xbox One for her birthday last year.

Long story made a bit shorter, Haley ran the disc on her system with NO trouble whatsoever.

I've searched high and low for a decent explanation of the how's and why's of this, obviously to no avail. Any input would be appreciated.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Fallout 4 Xbone issue

Post by Khaat »

support.xbox.com wrote:None of my discs play, or my disc isn’t recognized when I insert it
Try the following solutions if none of your discs will play, or if you insert a disc and your console doesn't recognize it. If your Xbox Home screen tells you to insert a disc when a disc is already inserted, that means it doesn't recognize your disc. In these scenarios, there are two possible issues:
The settings for Instant-On power mode can render a small number of consoles unable to read discs.
The console's disc drive needs servicing.
Solution 1: If you use Instant-On power mode, change power modes and power cycle the console
Here's how:
Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
Go to Settings.
Select All Settings.
Select Power.
Select Power mode.
Select Energy saving.
Perform a "hard power cycle" by holding down the console's power button for 10 seconds. Once the console has completely shut down, press the power button again to restart it.
Try your disc again. Wait a few seconds to see if the console recognizes it. If the console can now read the disc, you can revert back to Instant-On power mode.
Follow the above steps if the problem happens again.
Solution 2: Request a repair
If the previous solution didn't fix the issue, your console will need a repair.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Fallout 4 Xbone issue

Post by Khaat »

Glacial-pace ghetto edit:
You mentioned multiple reboots, but I don't know if that included changing the "instant-on" thing. Seems this can be a recurring (thus not static) issue, so it seemed fitting for a "new" issue for an old disc (one you've used in the past.)
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.