Titanfall 2 and gamers' hypocracy

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Titanfall 2 and gamers' hypocracy

Post by SAMAS »

Linked because I can't YouTube for shit on this forum

So this guy's point is that despite numerous complaints about the sameness of games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, people really don't want change in their gaming, and they prove it with their wallets. His proof is the low playerbase of Titanfall 2 (a fun game, BTW), that has remained low even after the usually opening week mess when it got screwed by EA releasing it at the same time as IW and BFI, despite widely-viewed praise in many videos.

Your thoughts?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Titanfall 2 and gamers' hypocracy

Post by Gandalf »

Consumers want new things, but nothing new that challenges their idea of the status quo? Makes sense.

"Gamers" are a pretty shitty community, so this is a relatively mild problem. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote:Consumers want new things, but nothing new that challenges their idea of the status quo? Makes sense.

"Gamers" are a pretty shitty community, so this is a relatively mild problem. :P
"Gamers" is such a broad group of diverse people with diverse interests and taste these days that I don't think the term itself is adequate to describe the subset we know is being talked about. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

My thoughts are if it's TitanFall 2 The first one must have been decently well received.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Crazedwraith wrote:My thoughts are if it's TitanFall 2 The first one must have been decently well received.
Yeah, but it had no single player, waaaa I want my mommy!!! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Gamers can be massive cunts, though like Flagg above I think we have to keep in mind gamers are an incredibly diverse group and labeling all of them would be like trying to lump all movie fans together, but I don't think Titanfall's failure can be blamed on them anymore then Dredd's failure could be blamed on movie fans. Like Dredd the marketing for Titanfall 2 was pretty shit. Nobody is going to buy something if they don't know it exists. Of course there was probably limited space for marketing because of another reason.

Titanfall 2 also was hobbled by being released right between Battlefield 1 and Call of Dooty Infinite Warfare. For all the whining about those games people are going to want to play those even if just to tea bag their friends. That could be up to 200 dollars or more right there for the people who buy both of them depending on the edition. If they even knew about the game they might not have been able to afford to buy it.

EA really shit the bed releasing Titanfall 2 when they did. By all accounts a good game but a game people just didn't notice.

Then theres bastards like me who rarely ever buy games new, pretty much Bethesda games and dats about it. Though in my defense buying a 60 dollar game that I won't use 30 dollars worth of the contents seems foolish.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Flagg wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:My thoughts are if it's TitanFall 2 The first one must have been decently well received.
Yeah, but it had no single player, waaaa I want my mommy!!! :lol:
I rarely buy games before they get at 75% discount. I can't guarantee that anyone is still playing the multiplayer at that time. So single player is a big deal for me.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

bilateralrope wrote:I rarely buy games before they get at 75% discount. I can't guarantee that anyone is still playing the multiplayer at that time. So single player is a big deal for me.
This. And that I don't sink all that much time into my gaming. A game I'm willing to multi-player will have to be something that I pick up quickly; poor sportsmanship can ruin a challenging game for me in zero seconds flat.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I prefer single player, if I do multi player that is not an MMO it needs to be split screen. FPS games haven't really been fun since Golden Eye, though my brother and I did have fun with Halo 1 and 2 on legendary.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

People got stung with Titanfall. The game didn't have a lot of content, even just counting multiplayer, and the game's multiplayer scene wasn't as long lasting as you CoDs and BFs. Toss in poor timing, and a lack of marketing and you have a failure.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I prefer games with SP, too. Especially (and paradoxically) if it's mainly a MP game, as a SP campaign is far better training for every aspect of play than a fucking tutorial, IMO.

I was mostly making fun of all of the whiners who spent 8 hours a day bitching on the game's forum about how much it sucked because it had no SP campaign. It's almost like if they spent 1/4 of that time playing the game, they would be pretty decent at playing MP. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Its not really a question of skill, anybody can shoot some dude and teabag his corpse, but the fact people who prefer SP over multi for whatever reason. Don't like the toxic communities, don't like getting yelled at by some 12 year old screaming racist, sexist, or homophobic slurs, don't like getting pestered by horny perverts if they are a woman or insulted rude basement dwelling shitbags who think having a vagina makes them not a "real gamer", think it gets boring and repetitive as hell to run around a map shooting people with little in the way of objectives or anything else to do, or has no friends to play with because they are a no friends loser (not that I'd know anything about, not a thing, nope) or walled garden multiplayer keeps them separated so console peasants don't get creamed by the PC gaming gods with their 50 bajillion button mouses and aircooled light up mechanical keyboards.

Like me, why would I buy Titanfall 1 when I rarely if ever play multiplayer? Same reason I never bought EA Battlefront, I don't play multi. I got the Division super duper cheap and still haven't played it because I dread sticking my toes in the usual toxic multi communities.

I buy the Call of Duty games when they are sub 20 because I'm one of those rare beasts who actually buy them solely for the story.

And its not that I suck at headshooting fools, well not totally. When I do play the games I'm not terrible, atleast not dead last in rankings. Its just I don't want to play them, I don't want to play with others, I prefer to play with myself. So no multiplayer games going to appeal to me unless its something super special or super duper cheap.

Titanfall unfortunately just didn't seem interesting enough to warrant a purchase. Titanfall 2 will but at the right price.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

It's... not really a fun game. I've played way more hours of BF1, despite the campaigns or whatever they call the multiround games taking forever, because it's more fun. I love some of the TF2 mechanics, I definitely want NPCs to be part of the fight to give a feeling of scale for example, but overall it's just really repetitive and not much fun.
stardust
Youngling

Post by stardust »

I'm an awful FPS shooter, so I tend to stay away from them to begin with; that that's the overwhelming majority of games (generalizing here btw) that I hear about doesn't help.

Seen the first game, watched it be played extensively, but couldn't get into it. The second one didn't look much different to me, though I have yet to actually sit and watch my brother play it.

But like others have said, gamers are a wildly diverse bunch, and there will be haters no matter what anyone does.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.