Call of Duty:WW2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Call of Duty:WW2

Post by ray245 »

It took them forever to return to WW2. Sadly, they removed the Russians and the British campaigns, which used to be in every old CoD games.
Although this should be the actual trailer instead.

I had enough of lone wolf, save the world kind of FPS.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Call of Duty:WW2

Post by Crazedwraith »

Just read an article on it, it was really emphasis the grim darkness and horrors of war. Sound it was inspired by the WW1 Battlefield game...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Inspired by, copied same difference
But seriously this is WW2, we have SO many theaters of war but god forbid you don't show the Normandy Beach landings on one of the shitty beaches.

One of these days we are going to get a game with in Normandy featuring Sword, Juno or Gold.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Mr Bean wrote:Inspired by, copied same difference
But seriously this is WW2, we have SO many theaters of war but god forbid you don't show the Normandy Beach landings on one of the shitty beaches.

One of these days we are going to get a game with in Normandy featuring Sword, Juno or Gold.
If we went by these games WW2 started with Pearl Harbour, then the Americans went straight over to Normandy to kick Hitler's ass. :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Still pissed at Activision for having broken co-op for World at War and Cybertron for their Steam versions. Sure, there's a work-around, but I shouldn't be required to fuck around with VPNs and LAN hosting while playing a game from one of (if not the) biggest video game publishers out there.

As for the game, it seems they've finally scraped all they can from "modern" and "5 minutes into the future" broshooters barrel and are taking a step back to WW2. Not even my words, Infinity Ward gave Treyarch shit for World at War. A lead dev at IW saying in interview that the game was a step back from the "progress" they made in Modern Warfare and that the inclusion of Nazi Zombies was awful.

And I liked MW, but fuck that guy.

Though supposedly Sledgehammer really has their shit together. IIRC, these were the guys at EA who came up with the concept of Dead Space, which was the only remotely original idea to come out of EA proper in forever. So it might be worth a look, but I'm going off a lot of old memory and annoyance at the series.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

TheFeniX wrote:Still pissed at Activision for having broken co-op for World at War and Cybertron for their Steam versions. Sure, there's a work-around, but I shouldn't be required to fuck around with VPNs and LAN hosting while playing a game from one of (if not the) biggest video game publishers out there.

As for the game, it seems they've finally scraped all they can from "modern" and "5 minutes into the future" broshooters barrel and are taking a step back to WW2. Not even my words, Infinity Ward gave Treyarch shit for World at War. A lead dev at IW saying in interview that the game was a step back from the "progress" they made in Modern Warfare and that the inclusion of Nazi Zombies was awful.

And I liked MW, but fuck that guy.

Though supposedly Sledgehammer really has their shit together. IIRC, these were the guys at EA who came up with the concept of Dead Space, which was the only remotely original idea to come out of EA proper in forever. So it might be worth a look, but I'm going off a lot of old memory and annoyance at the series.
IW has a horrible development culture. They removed sprint in CoD 2 when another dev team added in for the first COD expansion game. They refused to entertain any notions of depicting the Pacific war and many other fronts of WW2, and spend their time recreating Doom.

They deserve all the shit being thrown at the dev team for coming up with Infinite Warfare.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, the trailer looks impressive, but I'm not sure how I'm better off buying this than all the numerous other WW2 shooters already out there.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Really disappointed that this will be yet another generic US-centred WW2 game.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yup, but its a purely reactive response to the success of BF1, which has everything but Americans, other then a few American small arms, and so the suits at the top no doubt had no grasp of this appeal at all.

But hey maybe they can put in some of the less amazing American history, like when the Army Air Force killed the head of Army Ground Forces with massive carpet bombing.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Tribble wrote:If we went by these games WW2 started with Pearl Harbour, then the Americans went straight over to Normandy to kick Hitler's ass. :P
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One actually featured Operation Torch and Operation Husky, though you can be forgiven for not knowing or remembering.
Ubiquitous wrote:Really disappointed that this will be yet another generic US-centred WW2 game.
To go back to the days when the Call of Duty games gave equal time to the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union. Hell, Call of Duty 3 even had Canadian and Polish campaigns.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Infinite Warfare was fun. The most fun I've had in years from a COD game, so there.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Frankly they should have just kept moving into new genres...

Fight the Settlement Defense Front in Alpha Centauri as a new threat looms in CALL OF DUTY: INTERSTELLAR WARFARE!
Fight to save mankind from the hordes of extraterrestrial invaders in CALL OF DUTY: ALIEN WARFARE!
Omega Squad defeated the alien invaders, but they and Vengeance III were sucked into the Alien's Time Vortex just as it closed. Now their life pods open up on earth in the year 1945, but it is a different world where a High Tech British Empire rules the World under the control of the Totalitarian Fuller Dynasty. Now lead a revolution in CALL OF DUTY: ALTERNATE WARFARE!
Meanwhile Omega Squad finds itself in an alternate universe of magic and marvels as they must fight to save the land from the lever action rifle toting orcs, combat mages, armored trolls and nightdrakes of the Dark Lord with a combination of both assault rifles and spellcraft in in CALL OF DUTY: Magical Warfare!

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or maybe they should just grab the WH40K license for a game or two.

No comments about lootboxes being dropped onto Normandy beach for other players to watch you open ?