PC Not Booting Correctly After Windows Update

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

PC Not Booting Correctly After Windows Update

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Like the title said, my PC stopped booting properly after Windows updated. It'd get to the Windows logo and be stuck there. Gives me this error when I try to do a system restore: "The instruction at 0xfbf1584d referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read."
This is what I got with startup repair.
Is there anything I can do or do I have to take it to the shop? Don't have the money saved up for a new PC right now except for maybe a cheap laptop.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: PC Not Booting Correctly After Windows Update

Post by General Zod »

Can you boot into safe mode and uninstall the previous windows update?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, if you can get into safe mode I'd first try backup, then if that still doesn't work, do what Zod said.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Do you have your windows installation disks? If all else fails you could always do a fresh install. Plus IIRC some of them have a separate repair feature which might be able to fix it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

If you go back to Startup Repair and get to the point seen in the screenshot, click Close on the details window, then click the 'View advanced options for system recovery and support' link. If I remember right, you'll first be asked to select a language and keyboard layout, and then you'll get a screen with options for System Restore, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, etc. Click on Command Prompt.

Once you're at the command prompt, run this command: dism /online /get-packages

This will give you a list of installed packages and updates, detailing their package identity, install state, package type, and install date. Find the most recently installed update, and take note of the package identity and install date.

Next, run this command: dism /online /remove-package /PackageName:Insert_Package_Identity_Here

Replacing Insert_Package_Identity_Here with the package identity from the previous step, obviously.

Once you're notified the removal is complete, reboot your PC. If it boots, great! If not, repeat the process one at a time for the other updates installed on the same date.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Don't have my Windows install disks anymore. Safe mode wasn't booting either. I'll give Executor32's suggestion a try.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Got this error.
Error: 50
DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.
The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
Quick Google search gave me this but the suggestion to delete registry keys doesn't help me much. Looking up other things for fixing the startup repair infinite loop. Doing chkdsk C: /f right now. Going to ask the parentals if they have a Windows 7 Home Premium disk. Don't think they do, though, which is why I didn't ask to begin with.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Thanks for the help. Looks like they do have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Should have thought to ask that weeks ago.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Just saying, Windows 10 rocks.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

You can still upgrade for free, too, despite Microsoft not offering it anymore. Just hop on another computer and head to the Windows 10 download page, download the media creation tool, and use it to create a disc or bootable flash drive. Then just use that instead of your parents' Windows 7 disc, and enter your Windows 7 key when prompted for a product key; Windows 10 will automatically be activated with a digital entitlement.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Flagg wrote:Just saying, Windows 10 rocks.
Unless you have any confidential client information, in which case I'd suggest sticking to earlier versions of windows. In some cases like law and medicine you could be potentially breaching your rules of conduct by using Windows 10 given all the data it sends back to Microsoft.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I had a Windows 10 install on a flash drive from last year. The Windows 7 disk the parentals gave me was a 32 bit one, not 64. So I went for my Windows 10 one instead. I would have used my product key but I lost it. I wrote down the product ID by mistake. D'oh!