Fallout Shelter now on Steam

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Fallout Shelter now on Steam

Post by TheFeniX »

I still have yet to replace my shitty Windows GoPhone, so I had to pass on this game till now.

100% F2P and is pretty comprehensive for a mobile game. You can buy lunchboxes for cash money or just go to the nexus and download a save file that gives you 100,000 caps and lunchboxes. The main game itself is a pretty standard click to build, click to collect, click to build more mobile effort. You can equip and send dwellers to the wasteland to run around randomly collecting items and caps. You can also breed new settlers and you will need to because none (that I've seen) just show up until you get the radio station.

Once you get the Overseer's Office, you can do Quests, much like in the vein of the mainstream games. The combat and movement is very simple, but at least it adds a new element to the game. I was considering just dropping it before I discovered this.

All-in-all, for a completely free game, this is a fun timewaster. I leave it up when doing reading for school. Also of note, from reading the mods work in the Android version of the game. Judging from the filenames and folder structure, I think this game was made using Unity. So, it makes perfect sense.

I actually have very few complaints. One is that you can only have 2 dwellers patrol the Vault Door. So, when raiders come a knocking, this makes first contact difficult. And, if they run to other rooms/levels, your dwellers in the door room will not follow them. But other than that, it's more than worth $0.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: Fallout Shelter now on Steam

Post by Imperial528 »

I've played it on iOS for some time, and enjoyed it. Fun fact, the vault dwellers in the Vault 88 DLC for Fallout 4 say the same lines that the Fallout Shelter dwellers do.

To deal with raiders I structure the first level of my vault as a kill corridor, with only high-level, well-armed dwellers working those rooms and the elevator only at the very back. Quite useful once deathclaws start to show up.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

TheFeniX wrote:You can buy lunchboxes for cash money or just go to the nexus and download a save file that gives you 100,000 caps and lunchboxes.
Or you can use this save editor to give yourself all the lunchboxes, caps, and Nuka-Cola Quantum you want or need, among other things (maxing out all your vault dwellers' SPECIAL stats, unlocking all rooms for construction from the start, et cetera, et cetera).
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Imperial528 wrote:To deal with raiders I structure the first level of my vault as a kill corridor, with only high-level, well-armed dwellers working those rooms and the elevator only at the very back. Quite useful once deathclaws start to show up.
I wanted to build a kill corridor and I thought I could go back and rip up stuff easier once I unlocked more rooms: so I held off. Unfortunately, that's not possible since I'd have to demo a huuuge chunk of my vault. I'll probably restart and use Shinn's link (thanks for that) and just early access the rooms I want to make my kill corridor from the start (I was thinking Door > Training Rooms for fill > Elevator at the back. Then my dwellers can just pump iron in their down time from murderin' foos.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Has the game changed the dynamics where I don't have to be on the game every single minute to make sure things go right? I played it when it first came out and having shit go down while you're not on it made for a rather obsessive Tamagatchi.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm only up to 40 dwellers, but I've never logged in and seen things go to shit in the PC version. Supplies are still good, though I usually have to deliver a shitton of babies. Also, it seems prone to throw a molerat/radroach attack at me within 5-10 minutes.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

TheFeniX wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:To deal with raiders I structure the first level of my vault as a kill corridor, with only high-level, well-armed dwellers working those rooms and the elevator only at the very back. Quite useful once deathclaws start to show up.
I wanted to build a kill corridor and I thought I could go back and rip up stuff easier once I unlocked more rooms: so I held off. Unfortunately, that's not possible since I'd have to demo a huuuge chunk of my vault. I'll probably restart and use Shinn's link (thanks for that) and just early access the rooms I want to make my kill corridor from the start (I was thinking Door > Training Rooms for fill > Elevator at the back. Then my dwellers can just pump iron in their down time from murderin' foos.
Yeah, the editing rules are incredibly restrictive. To do it correctly is a real pain.
Soontir C'boath wrote:Has the game changed the dynamics where I don't have to be on the game every single minute to make sure things go right? I played it when it first came out and having shit go down while you're not on it made for a rather obsessive Tamagatchi.
In my experience it never did that. The game will run for a few minutes after switching away on mobile but closing the app always pauses it entirely except for the few minutes of simulated resource drain and generation.