Help finding a compatible motherboard?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Help finding a compatible motherboard?

Post by Iroscato »

Hey all, I am taking my first somewhat-unsure steps towards building my first gaming PC. This is the theoretical build I have right now;
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmYJPs

I need help finding a compatible motherboard, however - PartPicker's come up with nowt, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of compatibility issue with my build that wasn't picked up. I'm also fairly sure this is an all-round decent build, but I'm no expert.

I now humbly ask the SDN community for their assistance. Please be gentle - it is my first time :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Help finding a compatible motherboard?

Post by Iroscato »

I think I figured it out, looks like you can't get a DDR4 RAM mobo that's also compatible with a FX6300 CPU. Confused the fuck outta me there, but I've compromised and gone DDR3.

My new current build; https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jRJVHN
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: Help finding a compatible motherboard?

Post by White Haven »

That motherboard's M.2 connector only uses PCIe 2.0, so you're not running that SSD at its full performance. I assume you're going AMD because of extreme financial pressure; pre-Ryzen there's not much of any other reason to do so. It's a... broadly workable build, but I'd drop to a cheaper case, lose the aftermarket cooler, punt the hard drive to an after-build purchase, maybe cheap down on the video card if you have to, and use the freed-up money to go for either Intel hardware (far and away superior to that-era AMD) or try your hand at the new Ryzen gear coming out literally tomorrow. Downside of the latter is that AMD is only launching with their high-end hardware for the new CPUs, so fitting that in pricewise is going to be hard.

You may also find that the new AMD gear coming out exerts some downward pressure on Intel pricing going forwards. There've been some initial signs of that already, but time will tell.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image