Star Wars (Fantasy Flight) RPG... central info source?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Star Wars (Fantasy Flight) RPG... central info source?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

FFG is a total shit because the board game is being DLC-ified, information, character stuff, separated into these multiple expansion packs for books... I guess there IS a huge trove of content that would be hard to surmise in one book... but Jesus Christ it's just preposterous in a way.

I don't mind the specialized dice - the Fate system thing is pretty fun compared to the usual numeric dice rolls. It simplifies things and allows flexibility. Even IF you have to buy from FFG and only FFG if you need more die...

But... trawling through god knows how many books and supplements... having to have THREE books to pour through if one wants Jedi, Imperial, criminal and Rebel characters. Ugh.

Well, my friendo has the books but still. Even in the PDF forms it is such a fucking bother.

Sooo... I was wondering, are there central resources that just collect all these infoes? I'm not asking for anything that would breach copyright rules, even something just with summaries telling us just a bit, so we can *then* know what to look for in the endless stack of books and PDFs... is there something like this?

Thanks guise.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Wars (Fantasy Flight) RPG... central info source?

Post by LaCroix »

You might find a compilation by some fans, but usually, splitting info in many books is how these games make money and keep existing. Putting everything in one book means everyone will only buy the base book and the rulebook, and nothing else.

I think Battletech is the only one who published a compendium after a while, because it became too confusing hauling the books around. Loved them for doing so. On the other hand, most of their books are cool vehicle catalogues, which are independent of the game, so they don't have the problem other RPG/Taletops do suffer.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I don't have problems with supplements that go deeper into the 'verse lore. Those HAVE to exist not only for profits on part of the company but also because... it's just physically impossible to cram that much info in one book. I guess my main problem was that the initial SWRPG books were already too specialized? I wish there was a more generalized initial book... but SW is a huge setting so that might have not been possible. I think this problem, or this state, exists in degrees - going from "reasonable/understandable" and at the extreme being ridiculous.

Aaaaanyway yeah, this is the simplest outline I've got so far: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LaCroix wrote:You might find a compilation by some fans, but usually, splitting info in many books is how these games make money and keep existing. Putting everything in one book means everyone will only buy the base book and the rulebook, and nothing else.
It also increases production costs for that first, central book, raising the end price and making it harder for people to buy in to the game. Also, as a consumer who may only want to play as a Rebellion goon, I don't want to pay for a lot of Imperial fluff in my one central book.
I think Battletech is the only one who published a compendium after a while, because it became too confusing hauling the books around. Loved them for doing so. On the other hand, most of their books are cool vehicle catalogues, which are independent of the game, so they don't have the problem other RPG/Taletops do suffer.
Battlefront have done a few compilation books for Flames of War, if only to centralise the information from 3-4 books.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So in reddit I ticked people off since my first ever post in the SWRPG board started off with me griping and moaning and whining about the company so... lolz :D

*fails communications roll*
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Should have been a D6 roll.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Index!

That will tell you some stats, as well as what sourcebook everything is from if you need to look things up. It usually lags a bit behind the very newest books for obvious reasons, but not far.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanks. I am familiar with that. Though my primary concern - which I should have stated in the OP - is a synopsis of the primary character types so a new player can figure out what to choose without having to skim through three books.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Well, ultimately the question that comes up is 'what is the campaign?' Unless you're running a wide-angle Grand Unified Star Wars game (not impossible, granted), it's unlikely all three core books are going to be in play.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thing is, we have two Force and Destiny characters who are Jedis (or padawans turning into Jedi and a wannabe Sith...), we have two Edge of the Empire criminal and smuggler types... and we might have someone from the Rebellion, Age of Rebellion character type. I think we have all books... or we have Force and Destiny + EOE. But yeah this is why I wanted some concise resource page.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Heck of a campaign, heh. Sadly, I don't know of any central repository with that level of content. You'll just need to soak in the rulebooks directly.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It doesn't have to be detailed... details of each character type. Just names and brief descriptions and hopefully where in which book it is at, so we can go "oh that's cool! let's check that out!" easily before we *then* pour through the pages and abuse our wrists hefting all these ridiculous tomes.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!