Anyone still play Diablo 3?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Anyone still play Diablo 3?

Post by TheFeniX »

We were halfway through Inferno when we finally quit a few years ago. Last week we picked up Reaper of Souls and have been bashing away at that. They've fixed some issues with the loot and leveling system and as much as I bag on the difficulty system's implementation in WoW, it... seems to work ok for Diablo 3 considering the type of game it is.

I just can't get over how when I feel I'm being to harsh calling out Legion end-game for copying Diablo 3's development design, I instead find I'm not being harsh enough. Once you beat the game, you unlock adventure mode. It's basically the same game with all the context ripped out. You go and do mini-quests in a given act. They each give you a small reward. Do a set amount of them in a given act, and you get a cache that you open which gives you more stuff. Repeat and pray for epic (read: Legendary or Set Piece) drops. Exceedingly familiar if you've played Legion at max level.

But D3 at least breaks out due to enemy variety and the ability to swap nearly your entire build on the fly. While most of my core damage is locked around certain attacks, I can go from a melee bruiser to a ranged poker with a few mouse-clicks. I give up some damage, but that means little in this game when my Ancients and Avalanches are still dropping 10mil crits non-stop.

The Gold Sink of the Auction House is gone and you will instead blow millions rerolling stats to get the ones you want. Considering the ease of coop content compared to many other games and the general enjoyment of the gameplay at higher level, the gear treadmill isn't nearly as annoying as WoW has become. I have yet to mess with any of the seasonal stuff.

We rolled some new characters, but I find myself once again bashing things as a Barbarian. Critical Hit builds still seem the only way to fly. Oddly enough, with the tier set I've got, my pets do as much damage as I do and just love running around killing everything while I flee because I'm about as tanky as single-ply toilet tissue. But since you can cast Avalanches at range... yea, enemy health pools tend to melt.

Torment IV seems to be our mainstay for the time being, but honestly the drop-rates are so damn random I wonder if it would do us any good to push the difficulty up higher for loot rather than to just make the game more enjoyable. I'm hoping this becomes another game we use to wind down with, rather than hammer it do hard we get burned out.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Anyone still play Diablo 3?

Post by Lord Revan »

I play it sometimes but since I play on the EU servers that probably won't help much.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I still play Diabolo, occasionally. The first one...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Was really just looking for some experiences considering the emphasis on adventure mode (I can't find a single active game in campaign, nor does anyone actually join mine). Public games seem to be pretty much dead and everyone only seems to group for Rifts.

It's not a huge deal. My Templar has a Legendary Relic that gives him all abilities and combining him with my Ancients means I can get a solid amonnt done on my Barbarian. It's just leveling alone is boring. Kyle's Crusader was powerleveling my own Crusader, but his DPS is so low it took a while just to get me to 60 from 38. Meanwhile, my Barbarian took his Witch Doctor through (admittedly lower level) Torment VI Rift in under 5 minutes and got him like 15 levels. I can just whole clear entire areas in seconds. He started at 18 and was 70 in maybe 15-30 minutes.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I haven't played in awhile, but I managed to get to 866 paragon before I got bored. When I was active it helped immensely to join a clan to group with, and it was pretty dead if you weren't playing seasons. Grinding greater rifts for paragon levels and leveling legendary gems got a bit soul crushing after awhile. I held out hope for awhile that Whirlwind barbarian would become good again, and I could just hold down the right mouse button and shred through packs of mobs. Although the new Archon wizard looks kinda fun.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Well, I'm about to find out how good my Whirlwind build is tonight. We've been sticking with Torment VI, but it's time to knock things up a notch. My big problem is not exploding, but I've changed some abilities around for flat % damage reductions. My damage output seems to be fine, but we'll see. We're going to start Rifts at Torment XIII (or whatever is the highest) and move down from there.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I seem to remember Whirlwind barb being good for farming normal rifts and lower-end greater rifts, but not having the dps to get through higher greaters. So much so, that I have two barbarians, one for farming and one for pushing, at least, when I still tried to push. I always seemed to be one or two tiers from getting on the leaderboards, probably because I wasn't patient enough to fish for a good rift. When it came to bounties though, it was all about the "turbo chicken" witch doctor. I logged into the game the other night, and I felt totally lost, I might try to find a new clan if I decide to play again, but right now I just don't have a lot of spare time.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, seems about the same. Even with my full tier set and some other bonuses, TVIII and TIV seems about the upper limit of what you can do without just spinning around a boss for 5 minutes. The Hammer build seems the way to go, so I'm just slowly putting that set together. My buddy is using the Demon Hunter turret/explosive shot build. Combined, we could probably move up in difficulty, but it doesn't seem worth it because it becomes nofun.

I've been working on my Monk more and more, just farming shards on my Barb and buying gear with my Monk. Some of the set bonuses are pretty insane. At the least, for two guys with kids, the ability to AFK at nearly any moment is still a plus.